PDA

View Full Version : Udawg! Ubuntu/Puppy Hybrid - Ubuntu derivative with the speed/size of Puppy!

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Multiple distros

The design of Woof is intended to be so flexible that packages from any distro can be processed. At the time of writing Woof is supporting Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, Arch, T2 and Puppy. I am considering adding one of the RPM-based distros.

Easy upgrade

I find this one particularly exciting. The Ubuntu releases are named Intrepid, Jaunty, Karmic, etc. Puppy can be built from whatever is the current one When they bring out the next release, all that Woof needs is the name of the release and Woof will then download all the packages and build a new Puppy Linux. It may take a couple of hours fixing some package names, but the idea is a developer in one day can have a brand new release of Puppy.

The end result

...is Puppy Linux! What I mean is that you end up with something that has the speed, compactness and all the ease-of-use features of Puppy Linux, nothing sacrificed. Even building from Ubuntu packages, we get a 99MB (or thereabouts) live-CD, a fast Puppy that runs in RAM, all of the Puppy applications and all of the tools and familiar desktop.http://bkhome.org/woof/index.html

Woof! is quite interesting!...can you imagine a Ubuntu derivative with the speed of Puppy!

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
http://bkhome.org/woof/index.html

Woof! is quite interesting!...can you imagine a Ubuntu derivative with the speed of Puppy!...or it could be called Upup! :P

Bartender
December 14th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Jeepers, this sounds like magic. How the heck did he even come up with such an idea??

Gotta check this out :)

LowSky
December 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Puppy with Apt-get would be awesome

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Jeepers, this sounds like magic. How the heck did he even come up with such an idea??

Gotta check this out :)It is quite amazing isn't it. :P

Now only if somebody had the time to put this together.

longtom
December 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I must admit, Barry Kauler is an extraordinary individual, no doubt about it.

Since I started getting more acquainted with Puppy Linux, it's history and the way it works I am impressed what one individual, with a little help from friends, could achieve without being in a corporative framework like Red Hat, Canonical, Novell etc.

So I will take whatever he comes up with, very seriously.

Thank you for the link, 今幸福.

Exodist
December 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I like the sound of that also..

Chilli Bob
December 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Does Woof still run permanantly as root? That and the limited reops were the only bad things about Puppy. It looks like the repo problem will soon be fixed.

If you have never run Puppy off a USB stick, you have to try it. A freakin' awesome distro.

HappinessNow
December 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I must admit, Barry Kauler is an extraordinary individual, no doubt about it.

Since I started getting more acquainted with Puppy Linux, it's history and the way it works I am impressed what one individual, with a little help from friends, could achieve without being in a corporative framework like Red Hat, Canonical, Novell etc.

So I will take whatever he comes up with, very seriously.

Thank you for the link, 今幸福.Good Welcome!

Barry Kauler is a genius and we are fortunate to have him involved with Linux/Open Source.

I like the sound of that also..

Woof!...sounds freak'n amazing!

Does Woof still run permanantly as root? That and the limited reops were the only bad things about Puppy. It looks like the repo problem will soon be fixed.

If you have never run Puppy off a USB stick, you have to try it. A freakin' awesome distro.Thanks for post and information.

I am looking forward to a Puppy/Ubuntu hybrid

Wildehond - African Wild Dog in Afrikaans