PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution Configure

lotusalive
December 14th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hi ladies & gents: I tried to configure my Evolution Mail, but it just would not send and receive mail the way I did it. I re-opened the configuration Account Assistant tonight, and I am wondering if anyone will guide me. I need to start at square one.

Receiving Mail:
1) Do I have to use a gmail/yahoo or hotmail email for my desktop 'account' email ?

a) If not, how would I make up a desktop email name ?

2) Then, will the Server Type be POP, if I'm using a dsl modem from comcast ? Under that in Acct Asst, the next question is Server: and what do I use there ?

a) Can I choose SSL encryption without trouble ?

Sending Mail:
1) Server Type: Sendmail or SMTP ?

Thanks in advance. I've been so frustrated with not having this working.

donato roque
December 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hello lotusalive

First of all, to configure/make changes in your "actual" email account you will have to go to your email service provider's website. All that Evolution is doing is get that info which is in your "actual" email account.

You can use Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail or any other email service with Evolution. The desktop email name is any name you choose to uniquely identify the account. The server type has nothing to do with the hardware you're using. It is the protocol being implemented by your email service. It could be POP or IMAP. This depends on your particular email service provider.

Whether it's SMTP OR SENDMAIL- well if you don't know then I would guess that you are using SMTP.

What is important here is the email address: username@mail.com
Is the service using POP or IMAP? Server is: pop.mail.com or imap.mail.com
Does the service require authentication? SSL/TLS or none

thatguruguy
December 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I see that you use comcast as your ISP. Have you considered going to the comcast website for the information you need? Setting up Evolution is almost exactly like setting up Outlook Express, the instructions for which you can view here: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?seoid=Configuring-or-setting-up-Outlook-Express-for-email

The incoming email server is a POP3 server, and its server name is mail.comcast.net.
The outgoing email server is SMTP, and its server name is smtp.comcast.net.

Hope that helps.

lotusalive
December 15th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Bless your very HEART thatguruguy ! I'll give it a whirl if I have the time tonight ! GREAT SUGGESTIONS ! NAMASTE & HAPPY HOLIDAYS ! THX.:P

pixel :-)
December 15th, 2009, 06:03 AM
yahoo don't permit you to use a desktop software, they want you at there site watch there adds

What thatguruguy said is for your default email address from your provider.

for gmail, you need to have activated it

For others, follow what there site sais.

lotusalive
December 15th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Bless you both too, donato roque and pixel ! Good info that I could not seem to find here in Search, so appreciate very much your replies ! Looks like i'll have to focus on it, not just work at it, lol ! ::));)

I do believe that I have now installed Evolution properly, with one of my gmail accounts, personal, have not checked it yet, or activated it, as of tonight, but it looks promising, after my re-installation of Ubuntu, and all the software, and all the Holiday 'presence / presents...' Hope it really works... Thank you all. :)