PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I have to install all updates before using alternate cd?

psyboy55
December 14th, 2009, 06:21 AM
My computer needs a partial upgrade but it has not internt connection (glitch) if I use a alternate cd with out installing updates will it hurt my computer? Also what program do I use to burn a alternate cd?

mikewhatever
December 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Upgrades are probably tested with fully updated systems, so if you can't update, it might be a gamble, in other words, the upgrade might not work.
Any program able to burn iso images should do.

slakkie
December 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM
It is standard advise to upgrade your system to the latest and greatest within your current release before upgrading, however..

If you only have jaunty repo's in your sources.list (so no jaunty-security, jaunty-updates, etc) then you can upgrade as well, without having to enable those repositories and upgrade your machine. The package versions on the alternate CD are higher and will be installed regardless.

You can use use the alternate CD to upgrade without having to update all your current packages before the upgrade.

And if you have a look in my sig (Upgrade Ubuntu) it will show you a method to install from the image of the alternate CD rather then burning it and then upgrading. Best of luck!

psyboy55
December 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I have a alternate cd and a normal 9.10 cd. when i try to install it says not connected to the internet and closes! i thougt that the point of the cd that u ddnt have to be connected!

mikewhatever
December 15th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I have a alternate cd and a normal 9.10 cd. when i try to install it says not connected to the internet and closes! i thougt that the point of the cd that u ddnt have to be connected!

What are you trying to install?

psyboy55
December 15th, 2009, 12:49 AM
im trying to fix my computer after it upgraded part way to 9.10 now it has no internet connection becuase of this. I cant upgrade network manager from the disk!

mikewhatever
December 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
What network manager do you use? If it's non-default, like wicd or another, it's most probably not on the disk.

slakkie
December 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM

You need to have the alternate CD to upgrade, liveCD's are only capable of installing a new OS, not updating one.

Please see my sig for upgrade instructions.