PDA

View Full Version : Ways to ensure a successful install...

QwUo173Hy
December 14th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I know some teachers that would like to try the Free Software I've told them about. I'm very conscious that their first exposure to Ubuntu / OSS should be smooth.

I've done plenty of installs and only once have I had problems - windows wouldn't boot. I eventually fixed that, but if I were unable to fix it, it would be disasterous.

Are there any risks when installing Ubuntu in parallel with a win machine?

Are there any steps that can be taken to minimize these risks?

I can imagine doing the following:
Defragment the windows machine
Reboot the windows machine a few times and observe its boot behaviour and desktop behaviour so you know how the system is running for the user at present.
Use a version of Ubuntu that you are already familiar with and that you've had succesful installs with before.
Use a tried and tested partitioner.
Have a spare machine with internet in case you run into problems.

Optionally, I'm thinking that I could install Ubuntu on a seperate hard-disk and set up windows to boot it, reducing the amount of contact the two systems have but at the cost of a hard-drive.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

earthpigg
December 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
when you do 'guided' partitioning, move the damn slider. 2.5gb is not enough. its guided, not automated.

:D

autonomy
December 14th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Ways to ensure a successful install:

Boot from CD

Just kidding. Try VirtualBox. Just use the latest Ubuntu. It has its own partitioner that works every time. Another option if things go wrong is boot from CD w/o installing; just use the desktop environment on the Live CD. Also, if your computer doesn't boot from disk, restart it and hit F1, F10 or whatever to enter BIOS (the computer will tell you; you might have to restart if you don't catch it in time, but you can also press the power button; and the computer will cut off if it hasn't gotten far enough) and set it up so that it boots from disk. Ask for help if you need it. And you're right about the hard disk. You could even install on a large flash drive and boot from that. 8-16GB might even do especially for a trial.