PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 through synaptic

chudder
December 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Hi,

I have a relatively stupid question but I couldn't find anything on what I wanted in any other thread.

I'm running 9.04 and I like it very much but I want some newer packages, like OO 3.1 without having to manually install them.

A friend told me years ago, to never upgrade a distro through synaptic, always do a fresh install from a CD. He said it would create dependency problems.

I was wondering if I could safely upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 through synaptic?
misc info: I have a separate Home partition and OS partition, no dual boot. How will this affect things?

Thanks

Chud
;)

audiomick
December 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Years ago your friend was right. In the mean time, the updater has gotten to be pretty reliable.

In system> administration in the update manager, it should offer you the option to update.
If it doesn't, in the options down at the bottom of the pop-up on the third Tab, which is probably called "updates", (mine is in German) there is a dropdown at the bottom that offers, approximately, "never", "only LTS", and "all". That needs to be set to "all", or whatever approximates that.

Bear in mind that, while the updater works pretty well these days, 9.10 appears to be not quite as polished as 9.04 was. If you don't really need the update, it might pay to wait another month or so.

phillw
December 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Hi,

I have a relatively stupid question but I couldn't find anything on what I wanted in any other thread.

I'm running 9.04 and I like it very much but I want some newer packages, like OO 3.1 without having to manually install them.

A friend told me years ago, to never upgrade a distro through synaptic, always do a fresh install from a CD. He said it would create dependency problems.

I was wondering if I could safely upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 through synaptic?
misc info: I have a separate Home partition and OS partition, no dual boot. How will this affect things?

Thanks

Chud
;)

Run the 9.10 LiveCD in 'test without altering your computer' mode to see if there are any obvious 'gotchas' such as video, internet connectivity etc.

I had no problems doing my upgrade - But, then again - I had a full backup ;-)

Make sure you take a backup - JIC.

Phill.

chudder
December 14th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Thank you both, I'll try running it without changing my computer, right I'm installing it in Virtual Box to play with it, don't know if that will give me any telling news.

Thanks again