PDA

View Full Version : messaging services - meebo and ebuddy

ged25
December 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I've been wondering how meebo and ebuddy have been able to survive this long without the other IM networks shutting them out. Aren't the other networks suffering a loss because of this ?

the yawner
December 14th, 2009, 02:52 AM
How so? meebo is just another front-end service just like Pidgin. The only difference is that it is a web application.

sudoer541
December 14th, 2009, 04:31 AM
does meebo support webcam convos in the msn network?

pwnst*r
December 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
does meebo support webcam convos in the msn network?

unless both are logged into msn via meebo, no.

ged25
December 14th, 2009, 05:23 AM
How so? meebo is just another front-end service just like Pidgin. The only difference is that it is a web application.

My point is how is it that all the apps that can access other networks are available. Wouldn't Yahoo for example want users to use their client or Gmail their own client etc ?

DeadSuperHero
December 14th, 2009, 05:26 AM
My point is how is it that all the apps that can access other networks are available. Wouldn't Yahoo for example want users to use their client or Gmail their own client etc ?

It's happened before. Just look at Pidgin and Yahoo. Every time Yahoo "updates" the APIs, Pidgin users can't log in until a fix is made somehow.

I wish I could just use XMPP all of the time, but it'd be difficult to get all of my online friends into it...hmmm...

ged25
December 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Is that the worst Yahoo can do ? Make some changes so that others can't access it until they find a way around it ?
I guess I just find it surprising that none of the companies made their networks exclusive and disallowed others from accessing without their permission.