PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] XFCE complete removal -> all files in my home directory are gone

chaperone
December 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hey guys,
I thought a XFCE complete removal is my case a good idea, cos I was using GNOME anyways. So I decided to remove it (complete removal of XFCE) and to perform a reboot. After the reboot all my files in /home/user were gone and I had a maiden home directory again. ****! (so no files, no bookmarks, no configured apps)

the interesting thing is that the files of an other user in /home/ are untouched and still there! How can this happen? Any ideas what I can do in such a case? Well, I think my files are gone :)

thanks for your help,

Sebastian

XubuRoxMySox
December 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Xfce takes alot of stuff with it when it is deleted - "completely removed," it may take many Gnome dependencies too.

When people do a fresh install, it is the /home partition that is preserved (assuming the original setup was manual and the "format this partition" box is un-checked), not the /home directory.

-Robin

chaperone
December 14th, 2009, 12:10 AM
thanks Robin for your reply. I had a deeper look into it and have seen that the files weren't deleted, but encrypted. So the system has probably problems to identify me.

I performed the ecryptfs-mount-private command with my pwd and it worked. Puh :)

Thanks again for your help!!

Cheers, Sebastian