PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10: need help with DVDs, Firefox internet, etc.

geoff511
December 13th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Well I have just wasted several days of my life because I decided to click on the Update button and go from 9.04 to 9.10.
All previous versions of Ubuntu have been great, with each update/upgrade an improvement on the last.
BUT 9.10 IS CRAP!!
The only good thing was it found both my onboard network port & wireless network card and both work.
But that's about all I can say is good.
Firefox can't find the net, no matter what I tried, proxy/no proxy etc. but update manager can find the net.
There is no libdvdread package - so how do I play DVD's ?
There is no Acidrip program available - well I can't find it - so can't rip DVD's.
There is no XVID codec available - so can't watch .AVI files.
And that is just movie stuff, not sure if I should waste any more time on this version trying to set up picture handling, burning, and other things I use Ubuntu for since it can (normally) handle it better than Microsoft (cough! cough! spit!)

So come on and prove me wrong -
How do I read bought DVD's ?
How do I install Acidrip ?
How do I get Firefox to see the internet?

oldos2er
December 13th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Offhand I'd say you don't have all repositories enabled. Check System, Administration, Software Sources. If all repositories are enabled, run
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install acidrip
If it fails, please post the output here.

wojox
December 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Install Medibuntu

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/karmic.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

sudo apt-get install w32codecs

Ubuntu Restricted Extras:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

tups34
December 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I must say i tend to be on your side with this version :(

It has bean a pain in my rear end ever since i decided to upgrade from 9.04.

ive upgraded from 8.04 to 8.1 to 9.04 with only minor probs that i could sort within a few mins. ;)

this time has bean a real pain, my laptop is still not right ](*,)

Cant help thinking this version was rushed out to compete with windows 7?

WHY?!

valvegrid
December 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure what you are doing because;

How do I read bought DVD's ? libdvdread is already installed and is in the repository.
How do I install Acidrip ? Acidrip is also in the repository.
How do I get Firefox to see the internet? Have you tried rebooting the router?

As oldos2er says you might not have all repositories enabled.

wojox
December 13th, 2009, 10:23 PM
You both should have done a fresh install on 9.10. You missing some of the great benefits of the system.

jocko
December 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
There is no Acidrip program available - well I can't find it - so can't rip DVD's.
And that is just movie stuff, not sure if I should waste any more time on this version trying to set up picture handling, burning, and other things I use Ubuntu for since it can (normally) handle it better than Microsoft (cough! cough! spit!)

You are clearly wrong.
Can't help you with firefox (but i'm sure someone else can if you provide some more info about your wired and wireless devices, how you connect to internet and some other things, like the output of running "ifconfig" in a terminal....).

libdvdread4 is in the repos (universe).
acidrip is also in the repos (multiverse).
xvid? Has always worked for me in mplayer, vlc and totem... To get it working in totem, you probably need to install gstreamer-plugins-bad-multiverse.
So. Activate the multiverse and universe repos (System --> Administration --> Software sources). Then open up synaptic, hit "reload" and search for the packages. And if you want it to work even easier: install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package, which will get you flash, java, most codecs and microsoft fonts.

And quit complaining that 9.10 "is crap". It is not. But your attitude is. Your main problem is probably that the upgrade by some reason disabled some of the repos.
If you need help, search the forums or post questions.

Lyleb
December 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Well, I agree with the OP. I upgraded, was very disappointed with how unstable 9.10 was with so many possible fixes, that I didn't have the time to spend days fixing a very broken system. I solved my problems by re-installing 9.04. Would not recommend 9.10.

darkod
December 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM
One possible problem for firefox can be DNS. I don't know how update manager connects but just because it's working it doesn't mean your internet connection is all right. Try trace route to some known websites and it might spit out error message in terminal.

bregale
December 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
i have got to agree with you i have tried the live disc for 9.10 my pc reads the disc then black screen , so i went back i installed 9.04 worked ok till i updated then black screen !!! i think ill go back to 8.04 for a bit that just works no problems.

macmaster
December 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Ubuntu 9.10 works perfectly for me except Firefox occasionally crashes.

bregale
December 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
thats no use if it sometimes crashes, ive a eeepc on 9.10 thats fine no crashes , ive also another desktop on 8.04 which is fine no crashes , never mind ill check out launchpad.

marin123
December 13th, 2009, 11:04 PM
i use 64-bit karmic (9.10) and i think its great... havent had much experience with older versions (i had 8.04), but when i upgraded to 9.10 i was dissapointed... solution was a fresh install and everything works great...
if your firefox is really slow, then try with custom dns servers (i use google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)...
edit connections -> ipv4 settings -> method:Automatic (DHCP) addresses only -> DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 etc...

if you dont want to use google's dns, find yours with DIG...
hope i helped...

hunterkasy
December 13th, 2009, 11:07 PM
all of the issues I have read about for 9.10, I have not experienced at all, I am happy on that, I guess as a noob's rule of thumb is to always wait about a month before upgrading,(when saying noob I am referring to myself) I say the same with windows as well, that way others can find most of the bugs, and hopefully they get fixed within the month. Also I do believe 9.10 was released mainly because of win7

I am hoping Ubuntu Team learns from the mistakes of this release, and to make sure to spend more time and get it right instead of doing a "Microsoft" push it out their and fix it on the go

Timby
December 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM
9.10 worked fine for me for three weeks until l had an update, now I have lost the use of my PC.

Now I think it is crap too!

Google Chrome Browser worked better for Me but is not so sophisticated.

Firefox did not display some of the Web sites that I visit properly.

darkod
December 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Mine 9.10 is also clean install and working fine on both my desktop and netbook, if that means anything to anyone.
And as for being rushed, I don't understand. The naming convention X.04 and X.10 was created because new versions are released in April and October. Karmic was released in the final days of October. You can't say rushed. You can argue it has flaws but you can't say they rushed with the release because they were supposed to release it in October.

Cuco3
December 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM
One of Ubuntu's biggest flaws is not making it clear that an upgrade is not for everyone. People should not upgrade over their existing Ubuntu installation. If anything, just dual boot and see test out the new version before migrating your existing Ubuntu. After you finish testing, you can simply, delete the 9.10 partition and extend your main Ubuntu partition right back.

bregale
December 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
it does seem that quite afew people have problems with 9.10, a lot are renewing the os via update manager but i have read that will cause problems so i always use a clean drive. still cant prove geoff551 wrong though

hunterkasy
December 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Mine 9.10 is also clean install and working fine on both my desktop and netbook, if that means anything to anyone.
And as for being rushed, I don't understand. The naming convention X.04 and X.10 was created because new versions are released in April and October. Karmic was released in the final days of October. You can't say rushed. You can argue it has flaws but you can't say they rushed with the release because they were supposed to release it in October.

I think when people say rush, they are not referring to the release dates like you stated, it was released when it was supposed to be released. but not being ready and stable and getting sent out is to me the same as rushing it.

Timby
December 13th, 2009, 11:28 PM
it does seem that quite afew people have problems with 9.10, a lot are renewing the os via update manager but i have read that will cause problems so i always use a clean drive. still cant prove geoff551 wrong though

The reason that we use Update Manager is that it saves time.

A clean install means that we have to reinstall all the extras that we have previously installed.

The Update Manager should work.

I still think 9.10 is Crap!

hunterkasy
December 13th, 2009, 11:30 PM

I have been installing ubuntu or xubuntu 9.04, from cd, after install is complete and I log in, I go directly to update manager and do a 9.10 upgrade, and have not had any problems, the reason I don't use a 9.10 image, I don't have anymore cd's to burn, and I don't have any extra flash drives to use.

geoff511
December 13th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Thank you to all those that have replied.
Yes it was a clean install. And since I have been using Ubuntu for a few years now, I wouldn't class myself as a complete noob, but am sketchy on my knowledge.
Regards how I get to the internet, I have a ADSL modem connected to a Netgear 8 port router. Several Windows based computers connected, internet works fine. DNS-323 connected and bit torrent works fine. Ubuntu machine wired connection connected to this router.
Also have a Wireless Asus router connected to netgear router. Through this I have a Windows 7 computer connected via wireless and it has internet + can find all computers & routers on my network. BUT 9.10 can't find other computers, or the network sometimes and firefox can't find internet BUT Ubuntu update manager can update off the internet. Confused ? Yep I am.
So will try some of the help have been given and see what happens.

phillw
December 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I have been installing ubuntu or xubuntu 9.04, from cd, after install is complete and I log in, I go directly to update manager and do a 9.10 upgrade, and have not had any problems, the reason I don't use a 9.10 image, I don't have anymore cd's to burn, and I don't have any extra flash drives to use.

He he ... you could always (Shock, Horror) Buy one - with 9.10 already on it ;-)

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=577&osCsid=4a6cb016003585f7a8c6bb4ea18cb9b6

I love mine :-)

Phill.

oldos2er
December 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=577&osCsid=4a6cb016003585f7a8c6bb4ea18cb9b6

"Out of Stock"

D'oh!

howefield
December 13th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Well I have just wasted several days of my life because I decided to click on the Update button and go from 9.04 to 9.10.

Yes it was a clean install.

So which was it ?

Clean or update.

howefield
December 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM
"Out of Stock"

Not surprising, quite a decent price if you want to pay for that sort of thing.

cmileto
December 13th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Just like to say that the dozen or so machines running 9.10 here have had zero issues. That is two servers and 10 desktops. No issues at all.

I for one think this is the best ubuntu yet.
Prove me wrong.

hunterkasy
December 13th, 2009, 11:57 PM
He he ... you could always (Shock, Horror) Buy one - with 9.10 already on it ;-)

I love mine :-)

Phill.

I am unemployed with no money coming in, that is why I haven't bought any new cd's to burn on

w2vy
December 13th, 2009, 11:57 PM
You both should have done a fresh install on 9.10. You missing some of the great benefits of the system.

I hear this statement from time to time and I have to say that if that TRUELY is the 'right' way to do things then Ubuntu has ventured very far from it's original purpose.

If we need to do a fresh install with each new release then we are no better than any other Linux system.

Of those having issues, what common things do you have?

1) minor hacking or lots of (unexpected) stuff installed
2) something common in the hardware config?

I have a laptop (dell) and 2 small servers (one at work one home) and with each the upgrade went fine (once I had menu.lst correct)

Hey... are you really running 9.10... I ask because the first upgrade it totally messed up menu.lst laving me with no OS

I had to repair with a Live CD

9.10 may or may not be crap, but a lot of people are using it fine,
so let's see what you have different...

tom
tom

geoff511
December 14th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Sorry for any confusion howefield, but I loosely call going from 9.04 to 9.10 an upgrade even though I have never upgraded any version of any operating system over the previous version.
I d/loaded the Torrent version of 9.10 (using my DNS-323 box - fantastic piece of equipment), burnt to a CD , wiped 9.04 and install a fresh copy of 9.10.
And now am wasting so much time trying to get 9.10 to work. :???:

alexfish
December 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
All previous versions of Ubuntu have been great, with each update/upgrade an improvement on the last.
BUT 9.10 IS CRAP!!
The only good thing was it found both my onboard network port & wireless network card and both work.
Firefox can't find the net, no matter what I tried, proxy/no proxy etc. but update manager can find the net.

So It is Firefox To Blame For This One

LOOK HERE

http://www.backports.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8482930

1 OFF THE LIST For Ubuntu

PRC09
December 14th, 2009, 12:07 AM
This probably doesnt prove anything but how many of the people who did the UPGRADE actually have read any of the instructions..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CleanUpgrade

noelvh
December 14th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Well I can not prove it to you other than I am usinf my 9.10 to reply. I have full av support, but I do not use Ubuntu to rip DVDs. I use DVD fab to rip mine.

The first thing you did wrong it upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10. I have to say there are some issues with upgrades. A clean install is the only way I install ubuntu.

I hope you figure out your issues, as 9.10 it just that much better than 9.04.

Noel

realzippy
December 14th, 2009, 12:12 AM
"The reason that we use Update Manager is that it saves time"

lol,and waste same time by complaining about 9.10...

Timby
December 14th, 2009, 12:12 AM
This probably doesnt prove anything but how many of the people who did the UPGRADE actually have read any of the instructions..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CleanUpgrade

My system was working OK for three weeks until I downloaded the latest update.

I still think that 9.10.is Crap!

Timby
December 14th, 2009, 12:15 AM
"The reason that we use Update Manager is that it saves time"

lol,and waste same time by complaining about 9.04...

I am not complaining about 9.04 I am moving back to it in the Morning.

alexfish
December 14th, 2009, 12:19 AM
9.10 IS BRILL

How do I get Firefox to see the internet? Help Here

See below Screen Shots

I Think All Your Problems Are [Solved] With Ubuntu

At the Click Of The Button
Look At The ONE ON THE RIGHT [Solved] The Other Question

realzippy
December 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM
sorry,mistyped.Meant 9.10.

And yes,a rollback feature for synaptic woul be great to undo updates..

utnubuuser
December 14th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I said the same thing in my blog... at first...

For the approximate right response I'd suggest:
http://laserjock.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/the-myth-of-the-bad-ubuntu-release/

presence1960
December 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
The reason that we use Update Manager is that it saves time.

A clean install means that we have to reinstall all the extras that we have previously installed.

The Update Manager should work.

I still think 9.10 is Crap!
That is so untrue. I can do a clean install and have all my packages that were installed from the previous version completed faster than you can do an upgrade.This how.

To replicate your packages selection on another machine (or restore it if re-installing), you can run this:

dpkg --get-selections > ~/my-packages

This will save a file called my-packages in your home directory. Make a backup of it, install the fresh release, then restore the file "my-packages" to new home partition and run this code in the terminal:

sudo dpkg --set-selections < my-packages && sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

It will download and install all the programs for you, except those that you installed manually, if they are not in the new repository.
================================================== ================================================== =================================

So run the first command. Move or back up the file created. As with any other partitioning/install process you should have your data backed up already!

Now do the clean install.

Add all your repositories to software sources that you had enabled prior.

Now follow the last set of instructions. Copy the file you moved or backed up earlier to /home directory and run that second terminal command. Everything will be done for you, so sit back.

surfed
December 14th, 2009, 12:33 AM
BUT 9.10 IS CRAP!!

Stop trolling. It works great for most people, like with any OS there will be users with problems. This is and has been like this with every release of Ubuntu. If you cant figure out how to find libdvdread, acidrip or restricted-extras maybe you should use win7 (just read that 12% of users had issues with upgrade from vista), but these forums can do without your BS rants. If you want real help ask politely and with a positive attitude, otherwise Pi.. O.....

presence1960
December 14th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I can see most of you have not heeded the contents of all the threads on here warning of dist-upgrade troubles. It was like that for 9.04 & 8.10 and probably prior but I was not here for that. If you had read all those threads about 9.10, 9.04 and 8.10 dist-upgrades why would you insist on doing a dist-upgrade? Did you think it would be different for you or did you just not read those threads?

As far as saving time that argument really is false. You can use terminal to install all your packages except those not in the new version's repositories.

For me this community is a tool. I read and experiment with things I see in here even if I don't have a problem. While everyone who does a dist-upgrade does not have a mess, there are enough that do that begged me to ask myself "Do I want to take that chance?" I didn't and still don't! So I did some googling and searching on here and found that little terminal operation that works wonders- many thanks to lovinglinux for that has saved me untold hours of grief and unneeded work on my system. For everyone's reference here is the link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7157175&postcount=5

Try a new thing you may find it better. If not take your chances with a dist-upgrade which if you think about it you are going to probably have to do a clean install anyway now. Even if you install an earlier version you are still going to have to install 9.10 if you want to do a dist upgrade to the next version after karmic as you have to do upgrades one version to the next to the next.

BTW there is a way to save a file from Synaptic and do basically the same thing as the terminal operation.

phillw
December 14th, 2009, 12:45 AM
9.04 --> 9.10 No problems
Grub Legacy --> Grub2 - One problem, my fault - instructions ammended http://www.vpolink.com/blog.php?bt=20 If you fancy a giggle.
ext3 --> ext4 No Problems

Backups ? Yeah, I have a few - Needed them ? Nope.

If aliens came down and 'stole' 9.10, I'd be back on 9.04 within an hour. The secret of everything, as ever, is in preperation. Backup your entire system. Run the LiveCD in 'live' mode - it finds most 'gotchas' - investigate those gotchas (I had none). Then AND ONLY THEN - move from a perfectly working version to another one.

I may add, however - that I'm madly in love with 10.04 :D

I'm sorry that you're having problems, and that my info from above is possibly like a red rag to a bull - But, as I've found on my journey with Ubuntu and programming in general - you learn more when you either mess up, or when something isn't working as it should.

Similarly, my heart goes out to those who have problems booting from cd's and usb devices. Again, too late for those affected - but doing homework to see how your proposed make of computer gets on with Ubuntu (or any OS) is a good thing to do.

some of us remember just how many computers Service Pack 2 broke in XP

The MOST important thing to remember ? -- Maintain your sense of humour. Learn to shrug your shoulders - the delight in sorting the problem far outways the problem.

Regards,

Phill.

presence1960
December 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Stop trolling. It works great for most people, like with any OS there will be users with problems. This is and has been like this with every release of Ubuntu. If you cant figure out how to find libdvdread, acidrip or restricted-extras maybe you should use win7 (just read that 12% of users had issues with upgrade from vista), but these forums can do without your BS rants. If you want real help ask politely and with a positive attitude, otherwise Pi.. O.....

I hear you surfed. I can hear the world's tiniest violin playing....

geoff511
December 14th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Well I have now spent a whole day trying to get 9.10 to work properly and without much success.
1 prob was it was trying to install packets from an Australian server, so once changed that to Main Server it somewhat helped.
BUT all updates couldn't d/load and install all parts.
Firefox still can't find the internet.
Sometimes 9.10 can find my networks and other times it can't.
I have had several red stars appear saying the system has had an unexpected crash. (1st time ever with Ubuntu)
It can now sorta see dvd's but stop playing after a few seconds. Have tried a few different players - all the same. And Acidrip finally installed (i think with errors) but can't find the dvd, whether it is bought or a copied version.
To those who have spent time creating this version, I'm sorry, but in my opinion you have (like I have today) wasted your time.
I will be going back to 9.04 - as for the question I posed at the start - prove to me that this version isn't crap - well I'm sorry but I think it is.
Once again to all those who replied and gave some advice for me to try, I thank you very much, as I have learnt quite a bit from it.

All the best and I wish you all a very merry Xmas.

surfed
December 14th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Keep us posted if your problems go away going back to 9.04, sounds a bit fishy to me. If you have the time a fresh start might be all that is needed. I did an upgrade from 9.04 on my desktop and had no issues besides my raid randomly failing to mount, so i switched to chakra and all works well there.... still use 9.10 on my netbook as NBR is the best UI for small screens imho. I find that there is no one best distro, they all have strenghts and weaknesses and they change from release to release. Altough after going to chakra (arch based) i now have a rolling release so updates are gradual but more bleeding edge, so things break but i usually know what did it and can fix it easlily. Anyhow good luck...

geoff511
December 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Hi surfed .. happy to keep u informed.

Just installed 9.04 ... as usual I wiped the drive and did a fresh install (same as I did with 9.10).
Everything was found and updates have come down perfectly, all found and installed. And at full speed (155 kb/s)- 9.10 never got over 60 kb/s and 1/2 the packages didn't work.
- Firefox found the net straight away and works great.
- Installed windows wireless d-link drivers and wireless card up and running perfectly.
- Windows can now see Linux machine across network, but Linux can't see windows machine - but no prob, just can't remember how to change the Domain name of the Linux machine and set up Samba -- doh!
- DVD css installed and so did VLC player and DVD's play perfectly, no stop & pauses every 2 seconds like on 9.10.
- Acidrip installed and can see the DVD's.
- Xvid codec and .AVI files play great on VLC - couldn't get them to play on 9.10.

So it's not my machine or limited Linux knowledge that stopped 9.10 working .. it is 9.10 itself .. sorry but I still think it's crap.

So far all ok and working fine. The problem was 9.10 .

alexfish
December 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Just installed 9.04 ... as usual I wiped the drive and did a fresh install (same as I did with 9.10).
Everything was found and updates have come down perfectly, all found and installed. And at full speed (155 kb/s)- 9.10 never got over 60 kb/s and 1/2 the packages didn't work.
- Installed windows wireless d-link drivers and wireless card up and running perfectly.
- Windows can now see Linux machine across network, but Linux can't see windows machine - but no prob, just can't remember how to change the Domain name of the Linux machine and set up Samba -- doh!
- DVD css installed and so did VLC player and DVD's play perfectly, no stop & pauses every 2 seconds like on 9.10.
- Xvid codec and .AVI files play great on VLC - couldn't get them to play on 9.10.

So it's not my machine or limited Linux knowledge that stopped 9.10 working .. it is 9.10 itself .. sorry but I still think it's crap.

Nice one , its gone from Re: 9.10 IS CRAP ! --- DO NOT INSTALL !! -- prove me wrong.

to

crap.

presence1960
December 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM

The problem may or may not have been 9.10
The problem may or may not have been your machine (or one or more of your hardware devices)
But we will never know because you did no real troubleshooting.

You must be aware that from distro to distro and even from version to version within a distro there will be instances where something may not install or may not work properly. To just take the authority and label a release "crap" just because it didn't work for you is ridiculous. Following that logic how can you even want to use Ubuntu after we see some threads in here from users who can not get any Ubuntu version to work on their rigs. Following your faulty logic then all Ubuntu is "crap." Your little test run on 9.10 with your hardware hardly qualifies as an all encompassing test of 9.10 on all types of hardware! That test which is being done as more people install it will be the final verdict. Although you are a slice albeit very, very small slice of that test- your experience can not be the equivalent of a final verdict. To think so is ludicrous.

If 9.10 didn't work on your machine, suck it up big guy and use a version that does work for you without rancor on your part. So what it didn't work, now you have 9.04 and that does. Now you should be happy again.
If you really think 9.10 is that bad and are that angry about it report the bugs.

I have not had a problem with 9.10...I think it works fine. But I still like 9.04 better. I use Sabayon 5.0 also and I think it is better than both 9.10 & 9.04. As a matter of fact I am in Sabayon right now.

P.S. I don't mind someone voicing their opinion about a negative experience. But there is a way to say such things in a positive way.

Timby
December 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Keep us posted if your problems go away going back to 9.04, sounds a bit fishy to me. If you have the time a fresh start might be all that is needed. I did an upgrade from 9.04 on my desktop and had no issues besides my raid randomly failing to mount, so i switched to chakra and all works well there.... still use 9.10 on my netbook as NBR is the best UI for small screens imho. I find that there is no one best distro, they all have strenghts and weaknesses and they change from release to release. Altough after going to chakra (arch based) i now have a rolling release so updates are gradual but more bleeding edge, so things break but i usually know what did it and can fix it easlily. Anyhow good luck...

I have gone back to 9.04 with no problems, In less than two hours.

I still think that 9.10 is crap.