PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Several issues following Lenny -> Karmic upgrade

hazelsct
December 13th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hi, I just upgraded from Debian Lenny to Ubuntu Karmic. I blew away and reinstalled / but kept /home, and the new user I created works fine, for the most part (except for the first issues below).

There are several problems with my old user(s) though:

Wireless network reliability is worse than before (Dell Latitude D830n, iwlagn). In Lenny, when it crapped out, I would just re-select the network in N-M, and it would re-find it, though I sometimes had to do this twice. At worst, "rmmod iwlagn && modprobe iwlagn" fixed the problem. In Karmic, neither of those works, the least painful way to reset the wireless is to hibernate and resume. The iwlagn process often consumes 100% of CPU, which I had never seen in Lenny.
Setting the background image doesn't work: I see all of the images in the dialog, but when I select one, all I get is a solid color for the background.
CompizConfig is impotent: every time I change a setting, it gets reverted in a matter of seconds. I saw something about a gconf backend; could this be overwriting my config?
Speaking of which, where is the gconf editor? "Configuration Editor" is not in any of my menus, though gconf-editor is installed. I could run it from the command line, but it's supposed to be somewhere in the user interface, right?
[SOLVED - I think] The SQLite change in evolution metadata management was a bit scary -- at first all I got in all folders was "Unable to retrieve message\n[?]". Restarting evolution fixed that, and got evolution started on a 6-hours-and-counting campaign to "Storing folder" for my whole system.

Any ideas on the first four would be much appreciated; I'll post again if the fifth issue remains a problem.

Aside from these, the upgrade has been pretty painless, and has fixed a number of pretty big problems I had with Lenny. And there's a lot to like about Karmic that I hadn't expected. Thanks for a great release!

hazelsct
December 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Fixed the second issue in gconf-editor desktop -> gnome -> background, checked "draw_background". And evolution finally seems happy after about three days of various flailing.

Found info on the iwlagn problem at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1239871 -- apparently it also applies to my 4965.

That's two down, one known issue, one very minor (gconf-editor), and one serious issue left (ccsm) - submitted the ccsm problem to a separate thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1356586 .