PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Synaptic won't let me force version

jovean
December 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I followed the instructions available (in various places) to force a package version (Xvidcap ... I want the one I downloaded from Sourceforge, not the one in the repo, which won't record audio). But it won't do it. I select "Force version" from the "Package" menu in Synaptic, choose the version I want, and click "Force". The program works on something - but nothing happens. No changes are available to apply ... is there a manual way to do this? Update Manager keeps pestering me ...

mtecknology
December 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
It sounds to me like you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place....

If you want to isntall something from a different source, then you need to remove it from your system, before installing the other version.

It's highly not recommended to install from a different source though.

Your other option is to simply file a bug about it in launchpad.net.

lidex
December 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I followed the instructions available (in various places) to force a package version (Xvidcap ... I want the one I downloaded from Sourceforge, not the one in the repo, which won't record audio). But it won't do it. I select "Force version" from the "Package" menu in Synaptic, choose the version I want, and click "Force". The program works on something - but nothing happens. No changes are available to apply ... is there a manual way to do this? Update Manager keeps pestering me ...

As mtecknology states, uninstall previous version. Then, if it's a deb package, you can install using dpkg or gdebi gui.

jovean
December 14th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I need the non-repo version because the version of Xvidcap in the repository doesn't support audio recording by default whereas the one on sourceforge does. Also, I did uninstall the repository version first, then install using gdebi ...

And not to be thankless and annoying, but my question wasn't "should I be doing this?", but "how can I do this?" The real problem is not that I can't install the non-repo version, but that I can't convince Synaptic/Update Manager that I REALLY do not want the repository version.

lidex
December 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
If I understand what you're saying then you need to lock the current version so synaptic doesn't override??? Is that correct because that's not what one would infer from your initial question?

Select the package in right pane of synaptic and go to the "Package" menu. Select "Lock Version" - put a check in box - and synaptic will ignore updates.

jovean
December 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Thank you lidex - I was confused about terminology and didn't even know it. MarkingSolved.