PDA

View Full Version : No panel icons of open applications

jlh68
December 13th, 2009, 06:49 PM
When I open applications I do not get a panel icon. I cannot Minimize applications to the panel. In other words I can only open one application at a time. For example when I would want to minimize Firefox I cannot do it as there is no minimize button. So I have to quit.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on an Acer Aspire One AOA-150.

So far I do not like the 9.10 desktop as well as the 9.04 desktop.

Raffles10
December 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Have you added 'Window List' to your panel ?

Right click > Add to panel... :)

jlh68
December 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
OK here is what I had: Since my netbook screen (and my laptop and desktop) is WXGA meaning it is a lot wider than it is tall, I move my panel(s) to the side(s). On my netbook I use only one panel and I place it on the left side. On my laptop and desktop, I have one panel on the left and the other on the right. What I did not do on the netbook panel is to widen it so that the icons were visible, they were there but not visible. So I right clicked on the panel, then clicked on properties, and changed the size to about 35 pixels so that the icons were visible.

Now I can minimize and keep open the applications.

Thanks Raffles10for your suggestion.

superstalker
January 10th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Never mind

Vined Adobo
January 31st, 2010, 07:34 PM
When I open applications I do not get a panel icon. I cannot Minimize applications to the panel. In other words I can only open one application at a time. For example when I would want to minimize Firefox I cannot do it as there is no minimize button. So I have to quit.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on an Acer Aspire One AOA-150.

So far I do not like the 9.10 desktop as well as the 9.04 desktop.
Okay, I think I know what you're talking about because I found your quistion while I was having the same (or similar) trouble while trying to install 9.10 remix on the netbook I gave my wife for Christmas. I right-clicked on the top panel and instead of getting "properties" in the dialog box, I just got "preferences." I found this is because where i right-clicked I was in a space Window Picker was using.

There is an Ubuntu logo at the left of the panel, then some space, and then two vertical dashed lines. The dashed lines mark the beginning of the window picker applet. Right-click in the space between the logo and the dashed lines. There you will find a box for adding a new panel, adding applets to the panel, etc.

I added a panel to the bottom of the screen and made both panels auto hide. On the bottom panel, I added a show desktop applet, a separator, windows list, workspace switcher (adjusted for three workspaces,) and a trash can. When I had them all placed where I wanted them, I locked them to the panel. Now, I have a list at the bottom of the screen of all active apps in the workspace and can minimize them or switch between them just like in the deskop version of 9.10.

You can probably now be able to remove that window picker on the top panel.

I hope this helps. If you need more clarification, please leave me some mail.

If this works for you, please mark it as solved.

Dave