PDA

View Full Version : how do you block callers?

sandyd
December 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
theirs this random drunk guy that keeps on calling at random times of the day. is there a way to block phone numbers?

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM
are you using a cell? some cell providers will do this for you if you ask, up to a limit.

NoaHall
December 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM
theirs this random drunk guy that keeps on calling at random times of the day. is there a way to block phone numbers?

Get a different phone. I make sure no more than 5 people know a phone number.

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM
^^kind of a lame answer and a last resort IMO.

in the future, you could tie a googlevoice number to your phone and just give that out instead.

LinuxFanBoi
December 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Rather than doing that, why not tell him you have free beer and tell him where to meet you, What you do from there I'll leave to you.

clanky
December 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Get a different phone. I make sure no more than 5 people know a phone number.

apt-get install friends?

NoaHall
December 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM
apt-get install friends?

sudo apt-get remove --purge other-people

clanky
December 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
You are surrounded, put your hands in the air and step slowly away from the internet.

sudoer541
December 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM
if you are on a cell call your provider and ask because they keep logs of incoming and outgoing calls so look at your bill.

Do you have caller ID? to see the number of the caller?

if you are on a home phone I am not sure if there is a way to trace a call.

tubezninja
December 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM
if you are on a home phone I am not sure if there is a way to trace a call.

*69 on US landline phones.

If the caller has blocked their caller ID and the calls are threatening in nature, *57 will initiate call trace. That traps the number in the telco cnetral office, which can then be revealed to authorities if you make a complaint.

sdowney717
December 13th, 2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.privacycorps.com/pages/phone-number-block.htm

looks like the device lets you block calls

anonSam
December 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I don't know if your service provider offers this but there is a calling feature called “Call Blocking.” Usually it lets you block 10 numbers within your area code. It's one of those * something something numbers, but I always had to call my phone company to have it activated. I don't know if *69 still works but it would tell you the last number that called and give you an option to report it (but if your life or property is not being threatened, I doubt anything is done about it.) I think if you just don't answer he'll stop calling eventually.

sdowney717
December 13th, 2009, 11:35 PM
my voip company lets me block callers

www.voipvoip.com

really good service and prices incoming calls are free, outgoing cost 1.9 cents a minute. I have cut my costs by 50% from net2phone and vonage.

Bölvaður
December 14th, 2009, 12:17 AM
on android a program can intercept calls. so I guess the program has also access to see what the number is.... so making a program like that would be very easy to do if you have an android phone.

madhi19
December 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I swear my number is probably one digit off a sports gear shop in Montreal!

sudoer541
December 14th, 2009, 03:38 AM
*69 on US landline phones.

If the caller has blocked their caller ID and the calls are threatening in nature, *57 will initiate call trace. That traps the number in the telco cnetral office, which can then be revealed to authorities if you make a complaint.

I think I heard this before, it applies to Canadians as well right?

p_quarles
December 14th, 2009, 03:46 AM
on android a program can intercept calls. so I guess the program has also access to see what the number is.... so making a program like that would be very easy to do if you have an android phone.

That's Google Voice, and it is not just for Android. It is also a webapp that can be used to manage any number of landline, VOIP and cellular phones. It has many uses, but the ability to block unwanted callers is certainly one of the more attractive features. Currently available by invite only, but will supposedly be released to the general public sometime soon.