PDA

View Full Version : Why do YOU run desktop Linux?

Rob_H
December 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Why do you run Linux on your desktop? Is it the tweakability? Security? Principles of free software? Ego? Please share your reasoning. But please DON'T use this thread to trash other operating systems. "Because Windows sucks" isn't a good answer to this question.

NoaHall
December 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Because Windows sucks

Because it works better with my computer, faster, better development environment, stable and I like source code.

Securty isn't really a problem, regardless of which OS you use, it's all the same(pretty much).

chriswyatt
December 13th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Security is one of the reasons, the fact that there are less viruses written for Linux.

Less patronising interface, Windows has become too catered for the technology-illiterate e.g. wizards etc. Ubuntu lets me do what I need to do a lot faster and more efficiently.

It's free, I can keep up-to-date with the latest releases at 0-cost.

And also one reason why I switched was because I'd just got bored of using Windows and wanted to try something new.

Rob_H
December 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
For me, it comes down to customizability, tools, and technical challenge. As a programmer, I like the fact that pretty much any part of the OS can be tweaked. Nothing is off-limits. Also, UNIX command line tools have tons of flexibility for automating routine tasks that I need to do. And, let's face it, maintaining a Linux system still requires more technical prowess than competing operating systems. I, for one, like the technical challenges. Keeps me sharp. The price tag doesn't hurt, either. I like the fact that if I need a home server, I can just throw Linux onto a box and not have to deal with licensing. Finally, Compiz is cool.

foxxman
December 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
besides the fact that security is a lot better, the general visual effects makes it more fun to use than windows.networking in linux is a breeze. being able to run windows apps inside of linux without a virtual desktop is an awesome thing. the fact that Linux is free is great for people who cannot afford windows. plus if you have windows the live CD feature is great if you just wanna test the system out.( the system is really fun though)!!:popcorn:

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
recurring ->

tubezninja
December 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I run linux on my non-mac desktops because most of what I do involves *nix servers, and I've found it much more functional to have *nix-like OSes running on my workstations to interact with them.

Additionally, while I find Windows 7 to be a much better operating system than previous versions, I was sort of driven away completely from Windows by the problems that Vista introduced. And this point, the train has left the station so to speak. My work habits have adapted such that it's more effort for me to switch back than to stay where I am.

The security is also nice. I also do admire the open source aspects and concepts. however I do feel that certain parties take the philosophy to an exclusionary extreme, and that's a negative in my view.

koleoptero
December 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Cause I have no money. I am a stereotype.

Zoot7
December 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Because I can, but more importantly because it's fun.

noelvh
December 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM
For me it was a choice of money, time spent fixing, updating, look and feel, use ability, support, hobbies, open source software, and much much more.

I have found Linux fun to use and learn, and I can look at thousands of app for free. I have found most every thing I need to replace windows here. The things that I still use windows for are.
*Games (windows dose them better)
*Media center (my hard ware is old and dose not play well with *nix)
*Work (I have no choice but Windows for work, but I have a *nix box hidden under my desk I use for fixing windows stuff).

As an example of *nix at work-
*Recover dead harddrives, and files.
*Convert documents that windows can not open (multi lingual docs)
*Rip and burn media (*nix dose it better and faster)
*MP3 player, and music storage.
*Test hardware
*Live CD to grab data off a locked out system.
*Go around windows security for files.

Noel

Thyago Lopes
December 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I think it's mostly because of the free software ideal. But there's the fun too, and the speed and, in a lot of things, the superiority compared to the other options.
I'm a programmer, so, being able to know how things work underneath the pretty user interface is pretty cool.

Frak
December 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I do Ruby on Rails development, and I'm not always near a Mac, and Ruby acts weird on Windows.

Grifulkin
December 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I like doing what I want, with My Computer. And making it exactly what I want without some predetermined programs that you cannot get rid of, like IE and turning off all Automatic Updates, doesn't work for "Critical" updates.

So all in all I just like the fact that I know exactly what I'm putting on my computer, and not to mention is quite a bit faster on Linux then it ever thought to be on Windows.

NoaHall
December 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I do Ruby on Rails development, and I'm not always near a Mac, and Ruby acts weird on Windows.

You don't use GNU/Linux *glares* :)

Hetor
December 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I just find windows a boring OS.

Frak
December 13th, 2009, 07:03 PM
You don't use GNU/Linux *glares* :)
Yes I do?

V for Vincent
December 13th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Easy access to tons of open source programs - not that that's impossible in other OS'es, you're just in the middle of the entire open source ecosystem and the mechanisms are more convenient, like apt-get, for instance. And that also implies auto-updates, which are great. Nice workflow with multiple workspaces and Gnome-Do. Educational - I'm a CS student. Family members are unable to mess up my machine. No need to defrag.

... I think those are the main reasons.

MooPi
December 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
When I use my Linux desktop I'm learning and interacting. When I use a Microsoft product I'm just a user with little interaction. Simply easier to customize and keep running. When I'm on my Windows system it's for gaming only with minimal surfing and only to well trusted sites. I've always felt that Windows systems are the "me first" attitude. Every time I install something new that application tries to change all my file associations. It becomes tiresome to keep everything in order.

LinuxFanBoi
December 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Because I want to be different like everyone else;)

Stan_1936
December 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
...Because it works better with my computer, faster, ,,,, stable ......

I agree.

For me, it comes down to customizability, tools....

I couldn't care less.

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I couldn't care less.

oh good.

i was going to inquire about your reply if you hadn't bolded that text.

nothingspecial
December 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Because the stupid thing came with linux on it.

mamamia88
December 13th, 2009, 09:28 PM
because it is faster, more secure, totally customizable and has a few programs that even if i didn't run linux as my main os then i would at least keep a linux box around for like rythmbox and sound juicer.

Jekshadow
December 13th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I am learning programming, so the large amount of libraries and supported programming languages is nice.

9.10 runs really fast, so I can do what I need to do, as opposed to waiting.

Really stable, infinitely more than Windows Vista -- 0 kernel panics per month to 10-15 BSODs per month.

Large repository of software.

I am in control of the computer, instead of the computer being in control of me.

Isengrin
December 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Because it's comfortable. I can do what I want the way I want.
If I don'l like a tool I use another, or make it work the way I want.
Also, it makes easy to work 100% without a mouse.

It's all about usability for a power user.

Irihapeti
December 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I use Linux because I don't have to worry about the various classes of licence on Windows - academic, personal use, commercial, non-profit - and which category I might qualify for.

There's also a part of me that likes to be a bit different rather than going along with the majority.

wojox
December 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Because of it's AWESOMENESS, both Desktop and Server.

chucky chuckaluck
December 13th, 2009, 10:39 PM
i'm too cheap to buy real software.

speedwell68
December 13th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Because I accidentally formatted my XP drive when playing with a live CD four years ago. I then had no other choice, but use Linux. I got used to it. Then I bought a PC with Vista on it and hated it and formatted the drive and installed Ubuntu over the top. Basically I don't like Windows.

murderslastcrow
December 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I think the real question is what else would I use, and why would I want to use THAT? If you can find me something with more functionality than Linux with the same open source principles in play, then please tell me. But Linux is ridiculously fast, powerful, safe, and does so much more than I ever expected software to do for me.

I mean, really, there are just too many good reasons to count them.

gnuvistawouldbecool
December 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Mostly because it works well on my hardware, especially now the the ATi drivers are getting better. I like having something I can use how I want, and starts up quickly, even if I don't have a modern system.

The computer I'm currently using is basically 6 years old, and runs really well with kde on top of crunchbang. My Laptop , only 3 years old, runs quickly with a custom build based off 9.10.

With windows, this computer sucks and runs really slowly, the only thing I use it for is Office.

valvegrid
December 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Where do I start? I was using Windows 98 SE, then Windows XP came out. Having used computers with it on it felt that I was losing control of my own computer, I don't know why, it was just a feeling.

I still use Windows XP at work and constantly cuss the damned thing for not doing what I want it to do. I can't see any good reason to use another OS at home as Linux in general does all I want to do. Oh, I nearly forgot, I tend to take it for granted now, I used to spend hours clearing out all the nasties that had accumulated and doctoring that silly registry thing, now I just switch on and go.

scouser73
December 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Because I'm happy with not having to defrag the pc, scan for viruses (as opposed to Windows), I love the overall feel of Ubuntu and it does what it's supposed to do.