PDA

View Full Version : Retail Stores only selling Windows Upgrades

Psumi
December 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM
More and more stores are doing this nowadays, and quite frankly, it's a bit disgusting. Office Max and Office Depot are the only stores in my city that have Windows 7 Professional as a full retail item and not an upgrade.

Goes to show that Microsoft really has a grip on the world. Wal-Mart doesn't even have Home Premium as a full retail product. So what if I want to use Windows after using linux? I can't unless I go to one of these two stores. Sure, I can buy them online and get them shipped to me, but what if they get shipped somewhere else? Or if the seller loses the items before even putting them in transit? etc. etc.

I do not want to take that chance with items more than 100 USD. Hence why I shop in person for everything like computers, etc.

Heck, soon the online stores will be selling upgrade only windows.

LinuxFanBoi
December 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM
More and more stores are doing this nowadays, and quite frankly, it's a bit disgusting. Office Max and Office Depot are the only stores in my city that have Windows 7 Professional as a full retail item and not an upgrade.

Goes to show that Microsoft really has a grip on the world. Wal-Mart doesn't even have Home Premium as a full retail product. So what if I want to use Windows after using linux? I can't unless I go to one of these two stores. Sure, I can buy them online and get them shipped to me, but what if they get shipped somewhere else? Or if the seller loses the items before even putting them in transit? etc. etc.

I do not want to take that chance with items more than 100 USD. Hence why I shop in person for everything like computers, etc.

Newegg.com... /thread

Psumi
December 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Newegg.com... /thread

Like I said, I do not want to shop online for something more than 100 USD (Which is all of the full retail boxes.)

CharlesA
December 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
So what if I want to use Windows after using linux? I can't unless I go to one of these two stores. Sure, I can buy them online and get them shipped to me, but what if they get shipped somewhere else? Or if the seller loses the items before even putting them in transit? etc. etc.

I've had it happen, the retailer shipped me out a replacement item without any problems (Amazon.com)

Online stores will still stock OEM and Retail editions. It would be stupid not to.

Newegg.com... /thread

/win

If you've got a Fry's electronics, you can buy an OEM copy of Home Premium for around 100USD. I don't know if Bestbuy and the like stock those tho.

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Like I said, I do not want to shop online for something more than 100 USD (Which is all of the full retail boxes.)

you're REALLY limiting your choices. more than 95% of all my tech shopping is online and i shop a LOT. no issues from reputable dealers (i rarely buy from ebay).

also, as far as B&M's - fry's wins.

mivo
December 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Goes to show that Microsoft really has a grip on the world. Wal-Mart doesn't even have Home Premium as a full retail product.

I don't think that is Microsoft's doing. They don't have control over what retailers stock. Here in Germany, I have seen full versions of Windows 7 boxes on the shelves everywhere. In fact, I don't think I have seen many upgrade versions. Those seem to be sold mostly online.

CharlesA
December 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
you're REALLY limiting your choices. more than 95% of all my tech shopping is online and i shop a LOT. no issues from reputable dealers (i rarely buy from ebay).

Likewise, unless I need something that's not standard; e.g., small HTPC case that doesn't fit a standard ATX PSU, or if something is cheaper at a store then online.

I mostly shop at amazon.com and newegg.com. I would never use ebay.

Psumi
December 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Newegg doesn't have a paypal option in their payment options for my account, so what do I do when I want to use paypal?

I don't have a credit card (Nor will I ever get one to be honest) and got rid of my debit card.

Also, there is no fry's here in my city.

pwnst*r
December 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Newegg doesn't have a paypal option in their payment options for my account, so what do I do when I want to use paypal?

I don't have a credit card (Nor will I ever get one to be honest) and got rid of my debit card.

i recall you stating spending issues with "plastic". i would face those opportunities and learn to utilize and leverage that medium and take control, instead of the other way around.

CharlesA
December 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Then you are pretty much SOL. You could try going here (http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearchresults.asp?querytype=home&qu=windows+7+oem&qxt=home&display=col), they take Paypal.

Skripka
December 13th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Heck I'd get/keep the debit card and ditch the PayPal. You're basically in a corner of your own making. You can go basically anywhere in the world or online and use a debit card.

NewEgg is as cheap if not cheaper on just about every computer item that B&M stores sell--their customer service has always been 100% satisfaction for me. They took back a RaidMax computer case/PSU I bought from them that the manufacturer should have known was defective (it was wired completely wrong by their in-house tools), when they were under no legal obligation to.

Never heard of, or used Fry's here. Of course for folks not on the North American continent, NewEgg isn't an option.

Grenage
December 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I 'd have a stroke if I didn't have my debit card. I won't use any retailer who only accepts PayPal; if there was ever a problem, my bank is a hell of a lot better at resolving things than that useless company.

Ebay/Paypal = fail.
Generic Debit/online shopping = win (and a hell of a lot cheaper).

mivo
December 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Ebay/Paypal = fail.

That depends on where you live and what you buy, and from whom. I wouldn't buy software or games on Ebay, ever, but I never had any trouble with electronics, books and go materials. (With the limitation that I only buy electronics from commercial Ebay users within my country, for the warranty and return policy.)

tubezninja
December 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Newegg accepts payments by check and money order if you place the order by phone with them. You'll just have to deposit any paypal balance you want to use into a bank account, place the order with newegg by phone, make our a check or money order for the amount and mail it to them.

Realistically though, you've painted yourself in an untenable situation. I can understand refusing to have credit cards, but not having a debit card is taking it a bit far. Especially considering that nowadays, writing a check is probably more risky than using a debit card.

LowSky
December 13th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I use Paypal on Newegg all the time, it is just as safe as any debit card. People are so quick to say credit cards are a way of life, and somehow required. Well they are not. Most of the financial mess would never have happened if it wasn't for people using too much credit and then not paying it back.

As for Stores not carrying Full retail editions of Windows, go up to a clerk and ask them for a copy, if they say they don't have it, ask to order it, if they say no or they cant, ask for a manager, then calmly tell that person you will be shopping elsewhere. Maybe they try to accommodate you, maybe then say goodbye and cut their losses. Or ask them if their website takes gift cards, and if yes buy a gift card worth the value of the copy of Windows you want plus any taxes you might need to pay, then buy it online... Either way there are plenty of other stores to shop at if you don't want to do that.
I did some online window (pun intended) shopping and heres a list of vendors:

Walmart only carries the upgrades version in stores but retail version is online, I don't know why, but it does seem strange. Target sells all the versions online only. But both take giftcards as payment, which you can buy in store.
BestBuy, Staples, Office Depot, have it in most stores, check online for availability.
I couldn't find Windows 7 on Office Max's website, all they show is MS Office, which I thought was really odd.

Hope that helps

LinuxFanBoi
December 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM

The fees can be somewhat high but for online shopping I use a Greendot card. It's a pre-paid visa card that you buy off the shelf in stores like CVS, Walgreens and Riteaid.

you buy it off the shelf and load it at the register as the time of purchase, take it home, set it up on Greendot's website to get your Card Number, CVV2 code and expiration date. Once you setup your card online you can use it to make on-line purchases until your actual physical card arrives. About a week later your actual card appears in the mail with your name embossed on it so it differs from pre-paid gift cards in that way.

At Walgreens you can reload them directly at the register however you are limited to $500 in a 24 hour period, At any other Greendot retailer, you purchase a money pack that you load at the store, take home, scratch off the wax coated key and load from greendot's website. Money packs are limited by the maximum limit your card can carry which I believe is $2500,00.

Like I said though there are somewhat high fees like the $5 reload fee and the $5 fee for carrying a balance at the end of the month, but for infrequent on-line purchases of high dollar items, it's a safe method and a viable alternative for people who cant (or wont) get a credit or bank card.

Here is their site; https://www.greendotonline.com/contents/login.aspx

No to cover this;

People are so quick to say credit cards are a way of life, and somehow required. Well they are not. Most of the financial mess would never have happened if it wasn't for people using too much credit and then not paying it back.

You cant blame the credit card for the users irresponsibility. A credit card is just a tool, it doesn't swipe itself. And a lot of this financial mess was caused by Wall Street bankers leveraging their assets upwards of 30:1. They didn't leave themselves any outs and had no options when the margin calls came in. Can you cover 30 mortgages on the same house? Most people can barely handle 2. The average working man's irresponsibility pales in comparison to the shenanigans going on within America's (and the world's) financial institutions.