PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Problem...

hell_storm2004
December 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I downloaded the amd64 version of the Ubuntu 9.10, My PC is
E8400, 4GB GSkill RAM's, brand new Sony AD7240S DVD Drive. 500GB HDD.

During booting from the live CD, i when the main installtion options comes, the page where "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer", "Install Ubuntu", "Check disc for errors" and all are there, my keyboard freezes and i dont get to select any options. And after sometime the default options get selected, which is, "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer". I press the up down left right arrow keys, but the selections dont change! :(

I cant even check the disc for the errors.

So i proceed like that and the desktop shows up and click on the install 9.10. There i face my next problem. I burned the image at 8x speed, the lowest burning speed offered by Nero, during installation i get the Errno 5 Input/Output Error. After searching i found that this is a common problem in the older versions. Could you please let me know what is the solution to this and the previous one?

I would call myself a novice in Linux world, so please help.

darkod
December 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I can't be sure about the error but you could try as alternative to use a usb stick. I think you can even create it from the cd itself. Let it load the Try Ubuntu option again, go in System-Administration and you have USB Startup disc creator there. I'm not sure if it uses the cd itself or you'll have to point it to the ISO on the hdd, but either case it should work.
Then boot with that stick and see how it goes. It has helped people with strange problems with the cd.

hell_storm2004
December 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Any idea about the keyboard issue?? :(

hell_storm2004
December 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Well looks the RAM changing helped. I removed one RAM and the installation went fine!

Well now i have one more problem! On the HDD i have Windows XP installed and i had cleared out 100GB from the HDD for linux. Out of the 100, 2GB i made Linux Swap drive, when installing i had selected the use the "single largest free space or something" option. The istallation went off smoothly. After that, when i boot my PC, on the boot menu option, when i select Ubuntu, i get some error as disk not found or something. Could you tell me what went wrong here? Thanks!