PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What if hardware changed or upgraded?

pluto4ps
December 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 64 bit 9.10 and its running like JET....

I would like to know:

What if I want to upgrade CPU?
What if I want to change motherboard?
What if I want to change graphics card?
What if I want to upgrade RAM?
What if I want to add new DVD Drive?
What if I want to add new HDD?

I searched in Web, but haven't got proper idea.

halj32
December 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Ive done the last 4 & had no problems. as for motherboard + cpu??? at most a reinstall would fix everything. Ive added or changed lots of things without too much problem,

Bartender
December 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Since an upgraded CPU would have to be compatible with the rest of the architecture, I'm 99% sure that would be a seamless transfer.

Motherboard might cause troubles. I've got several old test PC's laying around, and pop HDD's back and forth all the time. Sometimes an Ubuntu HDD from another PC will fail to boot, and I'll get a message about restarting, then it loads up just fine.

Other times I couldn't get anything to happen and just reinstalled. But I'm not competent at getting under the hood and repairing Linux.

I think it all depends on whether Ubuntu (or any of the modern Linux OS'es) can probe the devices and find drivers within the kernel.

Graphics card would probably give you some trouble. Hopefully just a rough resolution until you can get online and find better drivers, but I've had graphics cards black screen on me, make weird lines across the screen, etc. Of course, these are usually old graphics cards scrounged from old PC's. I've found it helpful to keep an old CRT handy because a CRT will often give you something when an LCD panel gives up and says "Cannot support resolution".

Ylon
December 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 64 bit 9.10 and its running like JET....

I would like to know:

What if I want to upgrade CPU?
What if I want to change motherboard?
What if I want to change graphics card?
What if I want to upgrade RAM?
What if I want to add new DVD Drive?
What if I want to add new HDD?

I searched in Web, but haven't got proper idea.

green - no action/setting should be required
yellow - may need some (OS unrelated) setting in the bios
orange - rarely possibility to install some proprietary driver (modules). Especially for graphics card: I'd suggest Nvidia for the reliable quality of their proprietary driver. Intel graphics or (old)ATI for opensource option (constantly security/stability update, but not good for serious gaming)

Anyway, check always the link in my sign ;)

The most important thing is get the right hardware. You can always reinstall/recover if something goes wrong with the system. But the store don't accept complain ask to support your linux-box.