PDA

View Full Version : Is there a chat?

Gizenshya
December 13th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Is there a chat for the Ubuntu forums?

powerpleb
December 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Is there a chat for the Ubuntu forums?

There is an channel on irc.freenode.net called #ubuntu which offers support.

-grubby
December 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Try this link to go the #ubuntuforums IRC channel:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#ubuntuforums&nick=Gizenshya

juancarlospaco
December 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM
^
|
|
This

drawkcab
December 14th, 2009, 12:26 AM
fire up xchat and experience the wonder that is irc

it's like taking a time warp back to 1993, although without ircii on your unix account

maybe that is why I like it

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
It would be nice if there was a chat client that resided within or underneath the ubuntuforums webpage in a users browser, without having to resort to IRC.

squilookle
December 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I prefer irc to having a chat on the forums. Gives you the chance to choose the best program. In my experience chats built into web pages are harder to use/buggy.

t0p
December 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
It would be nice if there was a chat client that resided within or underneath the ubuntuforums webpage in a users browser, without having to resort to IRC.

I don't really get what you mean by "having to resort to irc." I think irc is far superior to browser-based chat systems.

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I don't really get what you mean by "having to resort to irc." I think irc is far superior to browser-based chat systems.I mean a separate IRC application, there used to be an IRC Firefox add-on that worked underneath every website...but unfortunately it died.

SeanHodges
December 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM

*Resort* to IRC?! ;)

I think I'm missing the point here, isn't the purpose of a forum to have topic discussions?

The only benefit a chat client might bring is real-time conversation, but then there will be 2 threads of discussion going on, and the "chat" one will be more difficult to archive/search/moderate...

I'm not completely against the idea, but I do struggle to see the benefit of it.

HappinessNow
December 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
*Resort* to IRC?! ;)

I think I'm missing the point here, isn't the purpose of a forum to have topic discussions?

The only benefit a chat client might bring is real-time conversation, but then there will be 2 threads of discussion going on, and the "chat" one will be more difficult to archive/search/moderate...

I'm not completely against the idea, but I do struggle to see the benefit of it.
again the old Firefox add-on was IRC! and it lived underground, under each webpage, but again it died.

actually reading the thread would be nice...

I don't really get what you mean by "having to resort to irc." I think irc is far superior to browser-based chat systems.

I mean a separate IRC application, there used to be an IRC Firefox add-on that worked underneath every website...but unfortunately it died.

hoppipolla
December 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM
damn you all got there before me! hehe

Yeah, #ubuntu on freenode :)

Tibuda
December 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I prefer XChat, but you could use http://java.freenode.net/?channel=ubuntu

hoppipolla
December 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Vote for Quassel, as I love Qt hehe :)

But yeah, IRC!

SeanHodges
December 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM
again the old Firefox add-on was IRC! and it lived underground, under each webpage, but again it died.

actually reading the thread would be nice...

None of that answers my question.

What is the point of having multiple concurrent discussions on a topic? It removes the linear readability of a forum thread, and leaves you with 2 archives to trawl for messages instead of just one.

I could understand this on a static website, even with a comments system, but the main purpose of ubuntuforums.org is to provide a mechanism for social interaction - bolting a chat client on the top would just detract from that... Am I missing something? Is there a useful use-case for having a chat client (IRC or otherwise) on Ubuntu Forums?