PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] goes to terminal login after login screen

kylegio
December 13th, 2009, 07:17 AM
started after upgrade to 9.10, originally xserver would not start. gave a "fatal error" saying that "no screens found" could not find a resolution, this was shortly after the release of 9.10, i have not had leisure to investigate it further until today, i have updated/upgraded everything, still no avail.

i then re-installed xserver/xorg/kubuntu-desktop completely, i thought that worked, after re-start i got the kubuntu login screen again (YAY), however now after providing my username/password instead of continuing on i am simply kicked out to the basic terminal login screen. from the terminal screen i can login and perform any terminal tasks i wish (updating/installing/removing packages, accessing files... etc) but i can not get a graphical interface to start properly.

can anyone suggest a remedy?
if you require more information ask and i will provide what i can

thanks
kyle

LuisGMarine
December 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
In the terminal you can try to re-configure X

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Zorael
December 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
If you have the terminal knowhow, you may want to check the log file for both X and KDM. They are at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/kdm.log respectively.

If you are only used to working in a graphical interface, you could do this from a live CD, by mounting your root partition and then browsing to those files and opening them in a text editor.

Sometimes KDM's log contains errors that X's doesn't, so check both.

kylegio
December 15th, 2009, 06:54 AM
the Xorg log is massive, i deleted it then made another attempt just to make sure only the most recent attempt was in the log, however again the log file is pretty extensive, i can attach it if any would think it useful,

the final 2 lines of the log are
"Saw signal 11. Server aborting.
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log"

in the kdm log it ends with
"Saw signal 11. Server aborting.
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
ddxSigGiveUp: re-raising 11"

the kdm log also states in it

"X: unable to open wrapper config file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config" (confirmed this file does not exist, i have reconfigured x11-common and now it exists, this line is not present in further error reports)

further down
"(EE) open /dev/fb0: no such file or directory"
"error setting MTRR (base=0x91000000, size = 0x00e00000, type 1) invalid argument (22)"

also i am comparing things to my desktop computer (true its not running kdm but i think my problem lies more with xserver so their configurations should be similar.i am noticing missing files, on my working desktop /etc/X11 has many sub folders and config files, on my non working laptop it only has "apps-defaults" "default-display-manager" "X" "Xwrapper.config", but is lacking things like "Xorg.config" among 10 or so other files that are on my working desktop.

anyway any help would be appreciated, final note: when calling "startx" from the console, the screen flashes and i can see my kde background appear, then the screen goes black again and a grey box situated top left corner appears. it seems to be some sort of terminal, however i can not type in it and there is no output in it, it remains for about 3~5 seconds before the screen goes black again and i am back at the terminal with the "Saw signal 11. " error on screen.

thanks for the help

pixel :-)
December 15th, 2009, 07:08 AM
i think, this command was abandoned some time ago, or it can't reconfigure the screen.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I can't decipher the logs. But in grub, it give you 3 choices, take the second, don't remember very well, something like "recovery mode". It will drop in a menu, chose the fix X, or default video mode, or something of the sort. You should be able to at least log in with some crappy resolution.

kylegio
December 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
i think, this command was abandoned some time ago, or it can't reconfigure the screen.

I can't decipher the logs. But in grub, it give you 3 choices, take the second, don't remember very well, something like "recovery mode". It will drop in a menu, chose the fix X, or default video mode, or something of the sort. You should be able to at least log in with some crappy resolution.

i don't get the option to "fix X" or "Default video mode" when i select recovery mode from grub, i get a terminal style menu where i can arrow up or down through options, i have options like "normal boot", "terminal with networking", "fix broken packages (which doesnt help)"...etc