PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installing ubuntu without CD rom, Flash

ArtzP
December 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I have a strange quastion. Because my CD-Rom broke down in my laptop I can't install (K)Ubuntu. I only managed to install it on Windows with Wuby, but i want clean install. Also my bios can't boot usb stick (because it is rare bios and old also) . And ofcourse laptop don't have floppy drive.
Is it possible to install clean Ubuntu, inside (Wuby) Kubuntu 9.10 (on NTFS) with mounted .ISO file ? Or is it just dead end, and the day my Windows dies (and also Ubuntu with it) I will need to throw away my laptop?

Looking forvard to your answers.

phillw
December 13th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I have a strange quastion. Because my CD-Rom broke down in my laptop I can't install (K)Ubuntu. I only managed to install it on Windows with Wuby, but i want clean install. Also my bios can't boot usb stick (because it is rare bios and old also) . And ofcourse laptop don't have floppy drive.
Is it possible to install clean Ubuntu, inside (Wuby) Kubuntu 9.10 (on NTFS) with mounted .ISO file ? Or is it just dead end, and the day my Windows dies (and also Ubuntu with it) I will need to throw away my laptop?

Looking forvard to your answers.

Hi,

You have a few options - quite a few, actually !!

As you have an operating system on your laptop - it is possible to get Win to mount a USB drive with the installation ISO for Ubuntu onto it.

If you want to go that route, I'll dig up the how-to for it.

another option, of course, is borrow / beg / buy a 2.5" hard disk caddy.

Or even a usb CD-Drive.

If you let me know what options you have - I'll get a solution for you.

Regards,

Phill.

ArtzP
December 13th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Pretty hard ways. The second is easier I think, but I'm not sure that I can get the hardware, perhaps I can. And the first one is quate hard - I tried something with boot programmes in Windows,but it didn't help. But in wuby ubuntu the installation is impossible? Thank you for help!

phillw
December 13th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Pretty hard ways. The second is easier I think, but I'm not sure that I can get the hardware, perhaps I can. And the first one is quate hard - I tried something with boot programmes in Windows,but it didn't help. But in wuby ubuntu the installation is impossible? Thank you for help!

I'd happily ship you my caddy, but it would cost more to ship it, than to buy one !!

There's a new one listed on e-bay here in the UK for 4.40 GBP including postage.

It would make life a lot easier - you'd only need access to another computer to do the installation.

You can use syslinux to create a boot area onto your hard-drive and get it to go fetch from a usb device.. As you said, it's a bit involved, but does work -- Some background --> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX

Phill.