PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After latest updates in Karmic, my install is broken with kernel panic

GraFfiX420
December 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I have an installation that I have been running for almost 2 years. I've went from intrepid to jaunty to karmic. Never had any problems until last night. I do not use the Wubi installer.
I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-s4757. Radeon x1200. I've never had any issues with updating except for graphic driver issues. After yesterdays round of updates, I get VFS Kernel Panic, and am unable to boot. This really sucks. I have a complete partition backup from before I installed Intrepid, but i've added a lot to my system since then and do not want to revert to the backups. I've tried mkinitramfs, but no love. Made a new initrd img, still no love. This is really upsetting, and it's the 2.6.31-16 rc3 kernel that is running. Why is ubuntu releasing updates that break an installation? If there are these problems why is a RC even being released? I am not setup to take bleeding edge/svn updates. I do not understand why this update was released, people are having all kinds of problems.