PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install freeze at 5%

kj4guu
December 12th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Installation freezes at 5%. I am trying to install 9.10 on an amd 1.1mhz desktop with 256 mb ram and 20gb hdd. The desktop previously had win 98 installed and worked fine albeit slowly. I have attempted two separate iso disks and both fail on 5% install after the setup screens and while it appears the os is being copied to the partition. The hdd activity light stops activating and the cdd spins down and thats it, mouse works, keyboard function lights still work but install is frozen in time. Any one have tips or suggestions? Thank you.

bumanie
December 13th, 2009, 12:18 AM
You will be on the absolute minimum requirements with that machine and the amount of ram is not enough to install via a ubuntu live cd. However, you will find you get better performance from using a lighter desktop manager and use xubuntu instead of ubuntu. Xubuntu live cd should just manage on that amount of ram, but it has a text-based installer also, which should install easily on those specs. Xubuntu is your best choice.

kj4guu
December 13th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Thanks bumanie, I will give this a shot and report back.

QIII
December 13th, 2009, 04:10 AM
With your specs, I would also recommend using the Alternate (non-graphical) disk.

kj4guu
December 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I attempted to install xubuntu with no luck and next tried to install xubuntu alternate also with no luck. I know my system is old but I have seen the same os loaded on even older systems. This desktop has a ten year old cdr drive and on a hunch I replaced it with a slightly newer dvd/cd drive and the results were sudden and remarkable. xubuntu and ubuntu 9.10 both loaded with no problems. The old cdd did work, I used it to view a picture cd earlier in the day but I guess it just didnt have the speed required to load the os and caused a hang-up. Thanks to Bumanie and QIII for the advise. :popcorn: