PDA

View Full Version : Script for an Ubuntu TV ad. Your thoughts?

adamjacobs173
December 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM
It's a bit pie in the sky at the moment, but I'd just like to have your thoughts on this script I drafted for a personal project of mine to create an Ubuntu TV ad. It's by no means finished, and I only have half baked ideas on what will go on visually, but I'd just like to know what y'all think. Here it is:

************************************************** ******************************************

VOICEOVER (an English accent, sort of like the one in the Tesco ads, but less annoying):

Ubuntu. At first glance, a simple little operating system. It can do movies, music, iPods, pictures, games, web browsing, email, internet chat, documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and ...<images flick by>...er...more. Everything you do with your current computer, in fact. You can even run your PC apps on it, if you really have to. And it does it without any of this <images of Windows error messages flash past, accompanied by sounds(?)> or this <same with pictures representing viruses> Simple.

But Ubuntu is more than just an operating system. It's a community, a network of users and developers based on the core African philosophy that gives Ubuntu its name. “I am who I am because of who we all are”.

And because Ubuntu is built and maintained by the community, it won't cost you a penny.

Ubuntu. Join the community.

<end screen saying “visit www.ubuntu.com (http://www.ubuntu.com/),” and anything else relevant>

************************************************** ******************************************

There it was. It's quite short, and doesn't do all the compiz-touting that I always see on people's ads on youtube, but I think it addresses the things that an average user is concerned with, and doesn't know that Ubuntu can do. But that's just my opinion, and I'd love to hear yours.

Adam

murderslastcrow
December 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I like it. I've been contemplating making an Ubuntu ad with my 3d animation software for a while, now. We should definitely show compiz in action. Also, it would be good to show Wine applications working, if you want to include the "use PC apps, if you REALLY need to," but Canonical's official stance is, "Ubuntu is not another way to run Windows applications, don't be silly."

Overall, I think this is well-written, although we may want to restate the bit about Wine applications, or have a separate add outlining some of those features more specifically.

Makes me wanna' get cracking 3d modelling some system76 and DELL Ubuntu laptops to show it off with. I don't really have a good enough studio to get footage of people using my Mini 10v or anything like that.

I really think we should think more seriously about making some ads for Ubuntu, since it has SO MUCH to offer. Maybe we could collaborate with some of the XSplash artists to see what we can make happen.

But yes, I think a British guy saying what you wrote with an appealing presentation would surely give it the right feeling.

adamjacobs173
December 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Cheers :D

I know what you mean about the wine bit; I pretty much just put it in because I couldn't think of a nice concise way to tell people that (nearly) every commercial app has an os equivalent. Maybe it doesn't need saying. But I do get the feeling that a lot of average users will turn around and say "hey, where's iTunes?"
Thanks for your feedback!

Adam

Techsnap
December 13th, 2009, 12:07 AM
And it does it without any of this <images of Windows error messages flash past, accompanied by sounds(?)> or this <same with pictures representing viruses> Simple.

The best thing to do is not tell your customers a lot of old nonsense, every OS crashes.

You can even run your PC apps on it, if you really have to.

WINE Is not suitable for people who just want to use their computer who are not willing to learn how it works.

murderslastcrow
December 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Wine is great for plenty of applications out of the box, and nice to have, although it certainly should not be advertised as an all-encompassing solution. I don't think it's that hard to set up- install, make sure exes are opened automatically with Wine instead of the archive manager- viola.

Also, thought I'm sure Linux CAN crash, I've never personally seen it do so on a wide range of computers over the past few years, and this while doing some very odd and shady things with these computers.

I would have to say that, for 99 percent of Linux users, Linux has never crashed. But I can't speak for them, it just seems so unrealistic, though I'm sure it's POSSIBLE if you do it intentionally.

Anyway, I might be wrong, who knows? Wine isn't perfect, but it isn't harder than using Windows with supported applications. I don't think we need to advertise the BSOD, although it's been confirmed to happen with a few people in Windows 7, including two of my friends who are using the full version.

I dunno', maybe it is appropriate. We don't need to compare it to Windows to show how good it is, but to do so concisely is hard without showing the obvious benefits.

I definitely think a series of informative commercials after this short and sweet one would be beneficial, instead of just spreading unexplained hype. Then again, what is a commercial?

I'll have to think about this. It certainly is a topic worth discussing.

Techsnap
December 13th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I would have to say that, for 99 percent of Linux users, Linux has never crashed.

I've had it crash plenty of times in the last 8 years, don't make up figures.

Wine isn't perfect, but it isn't harder than using Windows with supported applications.

You need to look at it from a stability perspective, you can't have this mentality of "it might work", WINE is great for people like us, we'll try it and if it works excellent, if it doesn't oh well. You can't be telling people yeah use WINE for your apps and when it breaks, "well you can't expect it to work with everything".

although it's been confirmed to happen with a few people in Windows 7, including two of my friends who are using the full version.

It's been confirmed you can get Kernel Panics on Linux, did you know that?

NoaHall
December 13th, 2009, 12:30 AM
You can even run your PC apps on it, if you really have to. And it does it without any of this <images of Windows error messages flash past, accompanied by sounds(?)> or this <same with pictures representing viruses> Simple.

But Ubuntu is more than just an operating system. It's a community, a network of users and developers based on the core African philosophy that gives Ubuntu its name. “I am who I am because of who we all are”.

And because Ubuntu is built and maintained by the community, it won't cost you a penny.

Ubuntu. Join the community.

PC != Windows.
If you're going to do this, you might as well educate the stupid masses while you're at it.
And Compiz is a great thing to show off.
I'll make some screenshots etc for you, if you want.
And I think you should have some pictures of the official CD.

slimjimmy23
December 13th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Great idea, I think there should be an Ubuntu ad, maybe even a system76 or just a Linux in general ad.

---------------- Listening to: Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/ted+nugent/track/cat+scratch+fever)

starcannon
December 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I think the guys from "Blue Collar Comedy Hour" should be hired to write and perform the ad.

Xeronix
December 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM
You need to put "Remember, its free" with the and it won't cost a penny.

We need to work on a migration utility for bringing people from windows to ubuntu, first, they install a program on their M$ computer, then burn all of their data onto discs using the software. Then, they install Ubuntu, pop in the discs, and magically regain all of their files.

Techsnap
December 13th, 2009, 12:44 AM
first, they install a program on their M$ computer

Where can one acquire this M$ OS? Never heard of it before.

murderslastcrow
December 13th, 2009, 12:46 AM
You're right, I shouldn't make up figures. We should have a poll for how many Ubuntu users, specifically (since that's the version of Linux we're talking about) have had it crash, and how frequently.

But yeah, I think we could make some informative ads to orient people, since right now all we have are pamphlets and documentation (not exactly going to get the mainstream into it, since not a lot of people are internet researchers like us).

Even if we don't want too many users, it would nice for people to enjoy the Linux experience if it suits them better than the alternatives. I mean, Canonical can't really invest in the advertising.

So, where would we put this ad? Youtube? Is there a better way to get it circulated?

murderslastcrow
December 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM
We need to work on a migration utility for bringing people from windows to ubuntu

I thought ubiquity had this already. If so, we should just perfect this and make installing over Windows more reliable, rather than wasting time writing a Windows utility. There are already plenty of utilities for backing up files on Windows that are compatible with Linux.

But eh, if we want to make an official package that would work with every Linux distro out there, why not? Still, there might be better things to work on, like a Mac migration utility.

However, if we really want to DO THIS, we should get organized, and maybe contact Ubuntu's marketing team about it and see if they want to collaborate as well, even though Canonical has no official plans to do any commercials. I'm sure there are users out there who would be willing to submit testimonial footage for us.

cariboo
December 13th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Advertising is very expensive, and it is very hard to track whether it is doing any good. In order to get the word out you would have to run something similar to Apples's ad campaign here in the US and Canada. To get that kind of coverage would cost millions of dollars. Where is the money going to come from?

Xeronix
December 13th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Donations like Wikipedia lol

JDorfler
December 13th, 2009, 01:21 AM
They're all PCs. Make yours do more with less without the restrictions or the hype.

slimjimmy23
December 13th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Advertising is very expensive, and it is very hard to track whether it is doing any good. In order to get the word out you would have to run something similar to Apples's ad campaign here in the US and Canada. To get that kind of coverage would cost millions of dollars. Where is the money going to come from?

The cheapest way would be too send chain mail:

Download Ubuntu and send this message to 30 people in the next hour or a clown will kill everyone you know and love!!

Tommy didn't send this message to anyone and now he lives by himself with no friends, just his computer with Windows Vista

Lisa only sent it it to 17 people, her parents and boyfriend are now dead, she installed Ubuntu on her computer 2 weeks ago and her luck is starting to change

You don't want to end up like Tommy or Lisa do you??
DOWNLOAD UBUNTU AND SEND THIS TO 30 PEOPLE NOW!

dragos240
December 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM
WINE Is not suitable for people who just want to use their computer who are not willing to learn how it works.

I disagree.

LinuxFanBoi
December 13th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I would have to say that, for 99 percent of Linux users, Linux has never crashed. But I can't speak for them, it just seems so unrealistic, though I'm sure it's POSSIBLE if you do it intentionally.

I've crashed it, but if and when linux crashes, you typically know exactly why, and for me it's never been a fault in the kernel, but rather some other unstable software that causes it. Also, I should mention that when I've crashed Linux, it was not unexpected. An unstable WiFi driver was my culprit.

murderslastcrow
December 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Well, we could do some emails that are informative, and only sent by friends who are concerned for their contacts. Then again, if you have Ubuntu you will probably end up telling a few of your friends anyway in person.

adamjacobs173
December 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Basically my plan of action was going to be to make the ad, put it on YouTube to see what kind of reception it gets, then try to get mark shuttleworth to fund a couple of ads on itv here in the uk (first). As far as I can tell, airtime here is cheaper. Hopefully then if it was successful we'd be able to pull together the money (either from donation or from interested organisations) for a big us campaign.

But first make the ad, eh?

Frak
December 13th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I disagree.
Sucks, because he's right.

Also, I'm measuring a good 120 GigaDurdens from this script write-up.

adamjacobs173
December 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Also, I'm measuring a good 120 GigaDurdens from this script write-up. True, but it's all relative to Windows. Be constructive; what exactly needs improving?

quinnten83
December 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM
The best thing to do is not tell your customers a lot of old nonsense, every OS crashes.

It's an ad, where does honesty have to come in??

Gizenshya
December 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I think that commercial idea goes in some places that aren't quite right. I oppose mentioning WINE (or anything else of the sort). No matter how you worded it, people would either get false impressions, or it would sound like the system is copying wondows (ie, that Ubuntu doens't have its own virtues).

I would go along the lines of...

(start ad)

Why would you pay $99 for *this* <scren caps of win 7 going through a couple windows> or $99 more to get this <show the aero stuff> and $199 more for this <show office> and $30 more for this <show a cap from another basic proprietary program like a cheap movie editor>

[As it goes through the above, it gets faster. After that last narration, the narration stops and the sound effects get louder as they go by faster and faster. The prices go up and down (for whatever software it is), but keep getting faster. Perhaps even have a counter at the bottom that keeps a tab on the total amount shown. Then it fades to white as it goes faster and faster.

Then, the narrator comes back]

... when you can get all this <screen cap showing compiz in all its beauty running all equiv open-source programs, and more. Best if several are open at one time, turning the desktop and whatnot to get to the next program. Then the narrator again.>

... for this.

<either simple "$0" starting in the middle of the screen and getting larger, or something else to powerfully convey the idea of free. Cue narrator again...>

Open your mind, not your wallet.

<then the ubuntu logo with the word "Ubuntu", and the web addy below it. ...and maybe a text message that included GNU/Linux>

/ad

I think this would get a lot of info off in a very visual way, which would maximize impact, brand awareness, and brand recall.

It doesn't have to be a TV ad, either (though it could be... if you have $30 grand burning a hole in your pocket). Just make it viral. The potential customers are those who use computers anyway. The CPM would basically be 0 (... unless you value your time :p ).

Techsnap
December 13th, 2009, 11:32 AM
It's an ad, where does honesty have to come in??

Same old crap isn't it, people on here condemn Microsoft and Apple for using advertising in this way, but of course it's okay when you do this for Ubuntu.

Frak
December 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Same old crap isn't it, people on here condemn Microsoft and Apple for using advertising in this way, but of course it's okay when you do this for Ubuntu.
Your Durden metre is broken, here's another.

murderslastcrow
December 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I agree- we should let people find out about Wine later on, if they need it. Not think of it as a primary feature. Ubuntu is great without Windows software.

Also, since it crashes considerably less than any of the other systems (besides maybe HaikuOS?), it would still be honest to say it doesn't crash, since if it does you generally did something crazy or forgot a file somewhere, which isn't really the OS's fault, it's your fault for using something that isn't stable or taking away important files. That's not an unwarranted crash. Then again, it would be nice if unsafe software/drivers weren't made available in the first place without a warning or something. In most cases, I think this is true, that the author would provide a disclaimer.

So yeah, cut the Wine out of it. Highlight its strengths, along with that fact that it's free (even if it costed 300 dollars I would rather buy it as free software than use Windows, Linux is better regardless of the pricetag).

I think the part about community was spot on. We don't want to be overzealous, but we don't want to be bashful about the great things Ubuntu has to offer.

Techsnap
December 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Also, since it crashes considerably less than any of the other systems (besides maybe HaikuOS?), it would still be honest to say it doesn't crash

All it's going to take is a wrong move in X to lock X up completely, of course there's no way to ctrl-alt-backspace in Ubuntu.

You need to realise that when you're marketing a product to a wide range of people you can't go by a few people on a forums experience. You need to have strong claims to back up what you say.

murderslastcrow
December 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hm. Well, there are nearly 1 million registered users for this forum. But maybe we should only advertise the LTS releases?

I just think saying 'rarely crashes' would sound like it crashes more than it can. But maybe "it doesn't crash," might be a bit too much? I dunno', I just want to find the way to make the best impression without being a liar. Maybe to say it's exceptionally stable? Robust? And would people understand what this means?

I just want to find the right balance between appealing and informative.

xtjacob
December 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
You could also put things in about the boot time, ease of updates, the little amount of hard drive space, and the good technical support.. Also i've never had linux crash on my computer. All the problems i've had can be related to something I did myself.

Shpongle
December 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
cool , go for it :-) , we could flood the net with them.