PDA

View Full Version : I now remember why I do not use Fedora anymore...

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Because the LiveCD will disallow my system to eject the CD. I have to always force the cd-tray to eject (with that paper clip method), remove the Fedora CD, shut down my system so that the tray resets itself (restarting will cause the tray to never work, it has to be physically shut down)

This has happened before, on all of my machines.

Yes, I had to go through this just now to get the fedora CD out and boot to my harddrive.

lisati
December 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I haven't used Fedora, but have found it normal for Ubuntu's LiveCD to "lock" the CD while you're running a Live session. When shutting down or restarting on the Ubuntu LiveCD you are prompted remove the CD and don't have to resort to the paper-clip technique.

Rinzwind
December 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Because the LiveCD will disallow my system to eject the CD. I have to always force the cd-tray to eject (with that paper clip method), remove the Fedora CD, shut down my system so that the tray resets itself (restarting will cause the tray to never work, it has to be physically shut down)

Yes, I had to go through this just now to get the fedora CD out and boot to my harddrive.
Well that what you say here is intended as far as I can tell.

After you shutdown the live cd it should prompt for you to remove the disc ;)

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I haven't used Fedora, but have found it normal for Ubuntu's LiveCD to "lock" the CD while you're running a Live session. When shutting down or restarting on the Ubuntu LiveCD you are prompted remove the CD and don't have to resort to the paper-clip technique.

I had to, because when I booted to my BIOS Settings, the CD Drive wouldn't eject.

After you shutdown the live cd it should prompt for you to remove the disc ;)

If I recall, Fedora doesn't do this if I select "Restart."

mikewhatever
December 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
That's a lame reason not to use an OS, especially if that's the only one. The easiest workaround is to stop using cds and move to usb flash drives.

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Fedora is great. Because you can't remove the cd quickly enough isn't a reason not to install it.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
That's a lame reason not to use an OS, especially if that's the only one. The easiest workaround is to stop using cds and move to usb flash drives.

That would be nice, but I cannot remember where my 2GB Flash drive went, and I don't have enough money to buy a new 16GB one (only 10 bucks on me.)

Fedora is great. Because you can't remove the cd quickly enough isn't a reason not to install it.

Thanks, you just made it worse.

Techsnap
December 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Of course you can't remove the CD during the live session, the OS would crash. If you want to remove the CD just install it already or just shut down the system then boot it again removing the disc whilst the BIOS is at POST, don't do the paper clip method that's stupid because it's not like it's never going to open again after a power off.

lisati
Yes, having the CD/DVD drive locking up does sound like a nuisance. I'm mildly surprised that it happened. Even if the LiveCD doesn't prompt you to remove the disk, one might expect that the CD drive gets unlocked as part of the power up or restart process.

Psumi
Of course you can't remove the CD during the live session, the OS would crash. If you want to remove the CD just install it already or just shut down the system then boot it again removing the disc whilst the BIOS is at POST, don't do the paper clip method that's stupid because it's not like it's never going to open again after a power off.

Did you read some of my replies? It wouldn't eject when I went to BIOS.

Techsnap
December 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yes but you made it sound as you mean you couldn't remove it from the BIOS after a reboot, not a power cycle.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Yes but you made it sound as you mean you couldn't remove it from the BIOS after a reboot, not a power cycle.

But you'd think it would allow me to remove it using the reboot option (like Ubuntu)

But noooooo.

Techsnap
December 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Sounds more like a hardware issue than a software issue to be honest.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Sounds more like a hardware issue than a software issue to be honest.

With 2 Bad blocks on the harddisk, it wouldn't surprise me.

I should've never bought this custom built computer.

Techsnap
December 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
So then why is it Fedoras fault.

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
It's got nothing to do with your hard drive. It's probably a CD drive/CD that you are using/BIOS setup problem.

Techsnap
December 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I have CD-ROM drives which have done the same in the past. Though it's definitely not the distros fault, it's just Ubuntu issues a soft eject command when the liveCD is finished, you'd experience the same thing with Ubuntu if it didn't do this.

Fedora can't do this because of the way it boots and shuts down, many distros have to be fully shut down from the liveCD before it can be removed.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Funny, I have the exact problem with Ubuntu and I DON'T have it with Fedora. I researched it and in my case it's a faulty cd/dvd drive and it's a pretty common problem even on windows (though I never had any problems with mine on windows).
Hardware guys. Hardware.

mikewhatever
December 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
That would be nice, but I cannot remember where my 2GB Flash drive went, and I don't have enough money to buy a new 16GB one (only 10 bucks on me.)

Now, that sounds more like a real reason.