PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Windows and Ubuntu Question

bdws1975
December 12th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

I've finally taken the plunge, partitioned my hard-drive, and am now running Ubuntu 9.04 on a new partition. I'm still keeping windows FOR NOW, as I have some proprietary programs that have to run on a .net framework.

However, i want to fix this by installing virtualbox and having windows as a virtual machine inside ubuntu and then getting rid of windows.

My question is this: my particular laptop (vista home premium) didn't come with a CD as it's on a recovery drive, or so I think. Can I use that recovery drive to install windows as a virtual drive inside my ubuntu?

Again, thanks for all the help. I'm truly enjoying the fun I'm having.

Brett

mikewhatever
December 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
You might be able to use the recovery cd, but most probably not. Virtual hardware differs from that of you PC, and vendors usually restrict recovery cds for their hardware only. On the other hand, even if succeed installing, Vista would not pass its activation, as it's as it is already installed on different hardware. Removing the original installation shouldn't matter, because OEM versions are tied to the original hardware and live and die with it.
On a side note, I have to say that this licensing nightmare is utterly disgraceful, and I much enjoy not having to deal with nonsense like that when using Ubuntu. It's just refreshing not to be greeted with an EULA.

bdws1975
December 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM
hey mike,

thanks for your help.

Let me ask this then:

I have an XP install CD. As I said, I'm currently running vista and ubuntu on diff partitions.

Can I install XP as a virtual machine on my ubuntu partition and have it work correctly?

Thanks!
Brett

You might be able to use the recovery cd, but most probably not. Virtual hardware differs from that of you PC, and vendors usually restrict recovery cds for their hardware only. On the other hand, even if succeed installing, Vista would not pass its activation, as it's as it is already installed on different hardware. Removing the original installation shouldn't matter, because OEM versions are tied to the original hardware and live and die with it.
On a side note, I have to say that this licensing nightmare is utterly disgraceful, and I much enjoy not having to deal with nonsense like that when using Ubuntu. It's just refreshing not to be greeted with an EULA.

darkod
December 12th, 2009, 10:59 PM
hey mike,

thanks for your help.

Let me ask this then:

I have an XP install CD. As I said, I'm currently running vista and ubuntu on diff partitions.

Can I install XP as a virtual machine on my ubuntu partition and have it work correctly?

Thanks!
Brett

Yes, you can install whatever OS you want as VM. Don't forget, for windows you need to use licensed copy even for VM officially... unofficially you can do as you please. :)

www.virtualbox.org seems to be the preferred.

bdws1975
December 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Ok, here's a question Darkod.

I found my XP reinstallation disk, but it doesn't have the license number with it as I lost the box.

Can I still use it to install or am I out? If so, is there an easy way to get another copy for cheap?

Thanks!
Brett

Yes, you can install whatever OS you want as VM. Don't forget, for windows you need to use licensed copy even for VM officially... unofficially you can do as you please. :)

www.virtualbox.org (http://www.virtualbox.org) seems to be the preferred.

mikewhatever
December 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
You should be able to use a regular XP installation cd without any problems. The lack of key, or whatever it's called. might be a issue because you need to enter that during the installation.

Mark Phelps
December 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Ok, here's a question Darkod.

I found my XP reinstallation disk, but it doesn't have the license number with it as I lost the box.

Can I still use it to install or am I out? If so, is there an easy way to get another copy for cheap?

Thanks!
Brett
Unlike with Vista and win7, from what I recall, XP does not provide the option of installing without a product key. So, no key, no install.