PDA

View Full Version : hows google gonna fix the slow flash in linux?

nerdy_kid
December 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM
hey just wondering, hows google gonna fix the sucky flash on google chrome OS? maybe they'll create their own plugin?

Bölvağur
December 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM
hey just wondering, hows google gonna fix the sucky flash on google chrome OS? maybe they'll create their own plugin?

it's the plugin, not the browser.

they probably dont care too much at the moment and wish for flash to die. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349655

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Flash doesn't suck on GNU/Linux.

Keyper7
December 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
To be honest, I don't have problems with Flash ever since they released the 64-bit version. I'm watching a YouTube HD trailer in fullscreen right now, with desktop effects enabled, and it's running very smoothly.

Flash is friendly to my video card, I suppose? I have a GeForce 8400M GS, which is fairly modest.

nerdy_kid
December 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
To be honest, I don't have problems with Flash ever since they released the 64-bit version. I'm watching a YouTube HD trailer in fullscreen right now, with desktop effects enabled, and it's running very smoothly.

Flash is friendly to my video card, I suppose? I have a GeForce 8400M GS, which is fairly modest.
i have the same video card and my CPU goes to %35 just watching a stupid youtube video. i have a 32 bit though

nerdy_kid
December 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
and i doubt that google doesnt care about flash, everybody uses it and it would take to long to update to HTML 5 video to justify not doing something about the current flash issue; flash is horribly suck for linux, i have a 3.2 ghz CPU (single core) machine running jaunty and the CPU is pinned just watching a non fulscreen youtube video, while on the malware loaded XP it came with no such issues existed.

FuturePilot
December 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
it's the plugin, not the browser.

they probably dont care too much at the moment and wish for flash to die. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349655

Yes it's the plugin not the browser. Only Adobe can fix it.

Flash doesn't suck on GNU/Linux.
You're joking right?

i have the same video card and my CPU goes to %35 just watching a stupid youtube video. i have a 32 bit though
Same card here. Flash eats my CPU on something as simple as Youtube. Youtube is almost unusable on my old laptop.

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Yes it's the plugin not the browser. Only Adobe can fix it.

You're joking right?

Same card here. Flash eats my CPU on something as simple as Youtube. Youtube is almost unusable on my old laptop.

No, I'm not joking. It's faster on GNU/Linux, it's stabler, and uses less resources.

mivo
December 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
No, I'm not joking. It's faster on GNU/Linux, it's stabler, and uses less resources.

In my experience, Flash uses significantly more resources on Linux and is also less stable. It certainly doesn't use 30-40% of the CPU on my Windows boxes, and it never crashed. Flash on Linux is better now than it was two years ago, especially thanks to the 64-bit release, but compared to how it runs on other platforms ... no cigar.

pwnst*r
December 12th, 2009, 06:16 PM
In my experience, Flash uses significantly more resources on Linux and is also less stable. It certainly doesn't use 30-40% of the CPU on my Windows boxes, and it never crashed.

^^this.

nerdy_kid
December 12th, 2009, 06:20 PM
i sorry, but playing a song off myspace uses %40 of my dualcore CPU on Google Chrome. %40 for a stupid song!!! its faster if i run XP in virtualbox and play the song of of that LOL

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Your computer/experience != Mine

Maybe it's because I have a high-end computer, or because I can configure it better.

pwnst*r
December 12th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Maybe it's because I have a high-end computer, or because I can configure it better.

lots of us have high end computers. face it. flash in linux is ****.

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
lots of us have high end computers. face it. flash in linux is ****.

And yet you claim flash for GNU/linux isn't any good. I disagree :)

pwnst*r
December 12th, 2009, 06:30 PM
most people will agree with me.

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
most people will agree with me.

And? Doesn't stop me from disagreeing ;) :)

squilookle
December 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Flash 7 was horrible.

Recently, it is usable, but it could be better.

nerdy_kid
December 12th, 2009, 06:39 PM

it seams to be the CPU and RAM that gets eaten (song playing for me uses 250mb RAM, i dont know if this is the same on WIndows or not), so if u have a 'high end pc', then you wont have to deal with it, but the netbooks Google Chrome OS arnt high end PCs LOL so thats gonna be a big issue. unless they ship dual core 3.2 ghz cpu just for web browsing LOL

mivo
December 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM
And? Doesn't stop me from disagreeing ;) :)

So, why don't you post your system specs? Also, go ahead and post information on how your configuration differs from that of just about everyone else, since I never saw anyone else claim that Flash on Linux is faster than on Windows. The link your signature does not offer any secret knowledge on how to make Flash faster, more stable and use less resources.

darco
December 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Finally got around to installing the latest x64 bit flash. Runs fine in full screen using Chromium. No stuttering. Full screen quality is lacking tho. Other than that its fine...used the script below.

*edit* works fine w/Opera 102.0 A1 and FF 3.5.5

darco

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM

3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, nVidia GTS 250 1 GB Video Card, 6 GB of RAM with 2+ GB of swap memory, it still sucks up a ton of resources and is very much less stable than it is in windows (and ReactOS even.)

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
16 GB RAM
2 GTX 285(1GB + 1GB RAM) video cards in SLI, but sometimes I switch with my quadro card (4GB ram)
Quad core AMD Phenom 2 940 OC @ 4.3 GHz, sometimes more, depending on what I'm doing.
64 bit Jaunty.(I don't use Karmic anymore, flash sucked on that)
My configuration doesn't realy differ from anyone else, but I do use the 64 bit version, in Opera, which I use only for flash.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:01 PM
16 GB RAM
2 GTX 285 video cards in SLI, but sometimes I switch with my quadro card
Quad core AMD Phenom 2 940 OC @ 4.3 GHz, sometimes more, depending on what I'm doing.
64 bit Jaunty.(I don't use Karmic anymore, flash sucked on that)
My configuration doesn't realy differ from anyone else, but I do use the 64 bit version, in Opera, which I use only for flash.

That spec. would cost me over 1500 USD to buy here in my state. I am not willing to pay that much for a computer, AGAIN.

I will also never overclock anything, I hate that.

Xbehave
December 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
1) don't feed the troll flash does suck on linux,
2) the problem is lack of hardware decent acceleration, google can fix this by only using certain hardware+drivers+configurations which do work with flash

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:03 PM
2) the problem is lack of hardware decent acceleration, google can fix this by only using certain hardware+drivers+configurations which do work with flash

So my "high-end" specs are worthless? *hmph.*

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
1) don't feed the troll flash does suck on linux,

I'm not a troll. I think, in my personal opinion, that it is better on GNU/Linux, for me

FuturePilot
December 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Throwing more hardware at it is not a solution.

phrostbyte
December 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not a troll. I think, in my personal opinion, that it is better on GNU/Linux, for me

Flash also works great for me! But I have a Quad-core AMD Phonom II processor and 6 GB of DDR3 RAM, with a video card that has 1 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Those pixelated YouTube videos stand no chance. :)

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Flash also works great for me! But I have a Quad-core AMD Phonom II processor and 6 GB of DDR3 RAM, with a video card that has 1 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Those pixelated YouTube videos stand no chance. :)

Throwing more hardware at it is not a solution.

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
That spec. would cost me over 1500 USD to buy here in my state. I am not willing to pay that much for a computer, AGAIN.

I will also never overclock anything, I hate that.

It will cost a lot more than that, I promise.

Why hate overclocking? It's great.

Anyway, I'm just saying, I notice that on my systems, Flash on GNU/Linux runs better than the flash for Windows. This might not be true for you lot, and I'm not saying that :)

phrostbyte
December 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM
You know there is open source Flash players too? I did some testing with Gnash, and while it is definitely not as compatible as the Adobe player, I was surprised by the amount of Flash SWFs that would actually play. Even YouTube would play, but it was buggy. But most random SWF games/animations on the 'net would play without problems.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Why hate overclocking? It's great.

[insert obvious reasons here]

You know there is open source Flash players too? I did some testing with Gnash, and while it is definitely not as compatible as the Adobe player, I was surprised by the amount of Flash SWFs that would actually play. Even YouTube would play, but it was buggy. But most random SWF games/animations on the 'net would play without problems.

Try homestarrunner.com

sdowney717
December 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2009/09/video-introduction-to-html-5.html

google perhaps work around poor linux flash by using html5 video.
they are really going to do it.

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM
[insert obvious reasons here]

Try homestarrunner.com

What obvious reason? I don't understand. There is no reason not to. Unless you have a laptop, or something.

OH, and I would also say it depends on what sites you use. BBC Iplayer, megavideo, youtube, 4OD, all work great for me. Maybe not for you.

Druke
December 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
lol wut? flash never crashes on windows?

Flash is the number 1 reason for my Firefox crashes in windows, and the main cause of chrome's face.

It's also a resource hog in windows, insanely. let's not make it sound like flash is a golden angel even on windows.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
What obvious reason? I don't understand. There is no reason not to. Unless you have a laptop, or something.

So you promote faster death of computers? Good for you.

phrostbyte
December 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Try homestarrunner.com

Works.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Works.

I've had various issues. Try the "glasses" main page. The blurring effect won't work right for one.

Keyper7
December 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Ok, after the replies I received I checked with top and indeed YouTube uses 30% of my CPU when playing. I never noticed because the videos always play with no lag and I can do other activities with no problems. But I do have to admit that's quite high, as totem uses 10% or less to play a flv video.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Ok, after the replies I received I checked with top and indeed YouTube uses 30% of my CPU when playing. I never noticed because the videos always play with no lag and I can do other activities with no problems. But I do have to admit that's quite high, as totem uses 10% or less to play a flv video.

flv =/= flash swf (IE: Flash sites like newgrounds, homestarrunner.)

FLVs are not interactive. I've converted swfs to flvs, and I know.

Also, if you remember, npviewer is the process for flash (at least in firefox.)

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM
So you promote faster death of computers? Good for you.

Haha. It's only faster if you're doing it wrong. I've had overclocked CPU's last at least 4 years, in fact, one of them is still used and OC'd on one of my secondary computers.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Haha. It's only faster if you're doing it wrong. I've had overclocked CPU's last at least 4 years, in fact, one of them is still used and OC'd on one of my secondary computers.

Then I won't overclock, because I know I will do it wrong.

phrostbyte
December 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I've had various issues. Try the "glasses" main page. The blurring effect won't work right for one.

To be honest, I would consider that a feature. :D

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
To be honest, I would consider that a feature. :D

On some main pages, certain buttons (when hovered) will also not play audio.

I guess that's another "feature." :|

I'm really getting pissed from these "features."

phrostbyte
December 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
On some main pages, certain buttons (when hovered) will also not play audio.

I guess that's another "feature." :|

I'm really getting pissed from these "features."

I don't think stuff like that is major issues because you can still interact with the site even though it's not blurry or annoying as it apparently should be.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I don't think stuff like that is major issues because you can still interact with the site even though it's not blurry or annoying as it apparently should be.

Another issue: sometimes the flash plays faster than the audio, or the audio plays faster than the flash.

Gotta love gnash.

Keyper7
December 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
flv =/= flash swf (IE: Flash sites like newgrounds, homestarrunner.)

FLVs are not interactive. I've converted swfs to flvs, and I know.

Also, if you remember, npviewer is the process for flash (at least in firefox.)

I get your point, but when you are just watching a video and not interacting, does it really matter? It doesn't seem a good enough reason to justify 30% vs. 10%.

murderslastcrow
December 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm fairly certain one of the people partnering up with Google here was Adobe. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a better version of Linux flash player come out next year just to make Linux support on par.

Also, Flash on Linux isn't as good as the Windows implementation, but it's certainly better than the Mac OS X implementation, and on most distros you don't have a huge problem with it. And everyone I know has had their Flash problems solved with Karmic, so I don't think we have all that much to worry about here.

I'm glad Google is taking advantage of this technology, since it will give Linux wider official support (hopefully in open-source fashion, and not a crapload of proprietary, installation CD-needed driver crap). Also, since Google allows their employees to use Ubuntu, I doubt they're going to switch to a non-developer OS like Chrome.

I just hope Google acknowledges desktop Linux in the process and people don't think Linux is just a web browser. Ubuntu's developers are helping out with Chrome, after all. It would be a b**ch move to go and pretend we don't exist afterwards.

chris200x9
December 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yes it's the plugin not the browser. Only Adobe can fix the official player.

There fixed that for you, gnash is great it would be great to see some corperate backing.