PDA

View Full Version : vuze

SLEEPER_V
December 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Is it just me or is vuze a piece of fecal matter? It looks like a great program that could be very useful, but I am trying to download a torrent and it keeps crashing on me. Its the version from the repos, which is a very old version apparently. I am trying to download this one torrent before upgrading, but it keeps crashing and ******* me off. Any other opinions on this fine software?

-grubby
December 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
It seems to work okay for me. I'm using Windows though.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I stopped using Azureus after they became Vuze because of the bloat. I just want a bittorrent client, not everything + the kitchen sink. It's also written in Java, which isn't exactly a language for developing lightweight apps.

blue_
December 12th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Yes vuze is very bloated and load heavy. I used it for awhile when it first came out then switched to utorrent. If I were you I would just use Utorrent. I wasnt able to set it up in wine but its pretty easy to setup a VM these days then just have the files save back to the host machine.

SLEEPER_V
December 12th, 2009, 09:35 AM
i just thought it looked like a neat program and decided to give it a try, but it isnt doing its basic task well, so it is gone.

JBAlaska
December 12th, 2009, 09:47 AM
One word...Deluge.

Ok, more words, I've been seriously torrenting for several years, was using AZ till uTorrent came out..when I went 100% Linux, I first used uT with WINE, then I tried Deluge, and never looked back.

blue_
December 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM
hmm googles Deluge is it as fast as utorrent? Utorrent was the fastest torrent program last I checked?

blueshiftoverwatch
December 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM
One word...Deluge.
I'm using Transmission and really liking it. What does it do that Transmission doesn't?

JBAlaska
December 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I'm using Transmission and really liking it. What does it do that Transmission doesn't? um...not sux..j/k Really, it has better control over individual torrents, better blocklist support and a nicer interface imho.

hmm googles Deluge is it as fast as utorrent? Utorrent was the fastest torrent program last I checked?
If your ports are correctly forwarded...yes

SLEEPER_V
December 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
i'm trying bitstormlite right now. We'll see

lovinglinux
December 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I also recommend Deluge and Ktorrent.

In regard to download speed, see BitTorrent optimization and troubleshooting guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259923).

docus
December 12th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Deluge is the best IMO. On Windows I used Avureus/Vuze for ages, then moved to uTorrent. Whe I switched to Linux I tried Vuze but it was too buggy for me. After that I used Transmission, which is fine, but Deluge is faster for me and has more options and a nicer interface. Give it a try!