PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Configurable startup applications in virtual desktops

koepked
December 12th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Is there a way to make the following happen?:

When I log in, my various virtual desktops already have chosen programs running with their windows sized and positioned in a way which I can configure.

From what I can tell, System > Preferences > Startup Applications allows me to choose programs to run, but not in which desktop, at what window size, at what window location, etc. Ideally, it wouldn't even be a start up matter, in a perfect world, I could right click on a desktop in the selector and in the context menu would be a list of preconfigured desktops from which I could select one, and then the windows in the desktop I chose would open. I'd settle for having it happen at startup though.

Thanks much for any help!

blue_
December 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
You can use devilspie you can put all the settings an commands in a bash script then have that bash script called when you login so it does it all.

(Good Idea by the way Im going to write something up for myself)

koepked
December 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks blue_, I've been playing with devilspie this morning and can now setup my dev workspace with 4 clicks of panel launchers, everything sized and positioned just as I want it! I think I'll take it a step further and launch all the windows and the devilspie command from a single script, and then I'll be down to 1 click. Thanks again!