PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting an HP mini 311

AllRadioisDead
December 12th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a netbook. I'll probably throw linux on it, and I'm just wondering what the nvidia ion is capable of in terms of linux gaming performance. What will I be able to play? Thanks!

AllRadioisDead
December 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Bump :(

Changturkey
December 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Google it. "Linux/Ubuntu + HP Mini 311 or ION + Gaming". I'm sure you'll find an answer.

AllRadioisDead
December 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Google it. "Linux/Ubuntu + HP Mini 311 or ION + Gaming". I'm sure you'll find an answer.
The only results are videos of compiz and games like openarena, I'm curious if it can run wine games.

[r4]
December 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
The only results are videos of compiz and games like openarena, I'm curious if it can run wine games.

I'm getting mine in a couple of days so I won't be able to help you directly, but I've seen people running titles such as Call of Duty 4, Left 4 Dead and Crysis on this very platform. It's kinda promising, but take into consideration the fact that they were all running Windows of some sort and the performance wasn't all that great.

noelvh
December 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Yikes!!!! you want to use this for games. Well dig out all the old stuff from the early days. A 1.6 or 1.66 atom dose not have my in the way of power, for games even if it dose have a nvida video card. An d if it were me the only reasion I would be an HP is the Nvida card, with a 3 year support deal, as you will need it. But if you want to run games on it dual boot it. Run XP, and Ubuntu. When you want to game switch XP, and strip XP down to the mini it will run, for best gameing.

Noel

AllRadioisDead
December 18th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about this.
I wasn't thinking of any graphically intense games, maybe some native games like urban terror and True Combat. Those don't have very high requirements...
I'd like to avoid dual booting at all costs.
Would I be able to run Eve online? That looks fun.

AllRadioisDead
December 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Bump!

jayze
December 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
:popcorn:speechless!....on a more serious note...and just a personal opinion..but I wouldn't if I were you kid!:(

AllRadioisDead
December 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM
:popcorn:speechless!....on a more serious note...and just a personal opinion..but I wouldn't if I were you kid!:(
Any reason for that?

coffeeandlinux
December 19th, 2009, 01:01 AM
A friend of mine just got one and I thought it was ok. It seemed to struggle a lot even just being a few days old. Went to a flash insensive web site on it and the graphics seemed half way decent for it being a netbook.

AllRadioisDead
December 19th, 2009, 04:31 AM
A friend of mine just got one and I thought it was ok. It seemed to struggle a lot even just being a few days old. Went to a flash insensive web site on it and the graphics seemed half way decent for it being a netbook.
Even with it having a dedicated gpu?