View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install a SATA hardware RAID

December 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I have an Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard, with a SATA RAID 1 array configured. I have been using the array for a couple of years with Windows XP, and it works fine. I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 last weekend. I am new to Linux. I was afraid that Ubuntu might try to format my RAID array and destroy my data during installation, so I disabled the SATA RAID interface prior to installation. Installation was successful; however, I have now reenabled the SATA RAID, and Ubuntu does not see the array when I boot to the hard drive. On the other hand, when I boot to the Ubuntu installation CD, it sees the array. As a result, I thought maybe I need to reinstall Ubuntu with the RAID array enable. So I tried that. Unfortunately, Ubuntu only sees the RAID array during the disk partitioning portion of the installation (it does not see the EIDE drive that currently contains Ubuntu). Is there a way to solve this problem. Can I somehow install some drivers that must be on the installation CD, since it can see the RAID array? Just in case it is important, my Windows XP and Ubuntu are installed on two different EIDE drives that are in removable carrages, so I am not dual booting.