PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Skype from medibuntu repos

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 03:30 AM
As of yesterday Ubuntu devs have decided to remove Skype from mediuntu repos affecting all the variants of Ubuntu from Hardy to Lucid. They cite some compatibility issue with skype-common in Ubuntu and Skype offered by the company. They are now referring people to directly download Skype from the Skype site rather than depend on Medibuntu.

Sad part is that the Skype in medibuntu has worked flawlessly for me with regards to webcam since Hardy. The version thats provided at the Skype site refuses to recognize the webcam even when the LD_Preload command is issued. All you get is green lines. Its quite unfortunate as some of us depend on Skype to stay in touch with our relatives and loved ones abroad. Since no other video or audio video client works as good as Skype and Gyachi is still not out for x64 Karmic, its indeed a very tough situation for those that need Skype. Wish Ubuntu hadn't withdrawn it at this stage but rather with the release of new distro when they could ascertain that there indeed exist a version of Skype thats fully functional as the one included in the medibuntu repos.

As a matter of fact, of all the distros, only Ubuntu's Skype worked fine right out of the box as regards to working with webcams, rest of them all had their issues and needed workarounds which sometimes proved flaky in the long run.

Sorry for my rant and I know Skype is not the end of the world for some and neither is the lack of audio video messaging but for many, with long distance phone calls being expensive, audio and video messaging is the only way to stay in touch.

Physical Hook
December 12th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I thought they had the same version as if you would download it from the official Skype website :-k

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I thought they had the same version as if you would download it from the official Skype website :-k

Unfortunately, the one on Skype site has the same version but due to the way its compiled, it refuses to work with the webcam on x64 Karmic.

Physical Hook
December 12th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Unfortunately, the one on Skype site has the same version but due to the way its compiled, it refuses to work with the webcam on x64 Karmic.

Skype isn't open source so no one besides Skype can compile it. Am I wrong ?
In fact, there are several versions of Skype available ( 8.04, 8.10+, etc. ) - have you tried all of them ?

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I tried the version listed for 8.10+ for x64. The skype-common file used in Medibuntu varied from the one used by Skype and thats why it was pulled from the repo.

zipperback
December 12th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Skype isn't open source so no one besides Skype can compile it. Am I wrong ?

It's closed source. And there are numerous open source alternatives for it. I don't really understand why someone would want to lock themselves into using a close source application when there are some really good open source alternatives available.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

Physical Hook
December 12th, 2009, 04:26 AM
It's closed source. And there are numerous open source alternatives for it. I don't really understand why someone would want to lock themselves into using a close source application when there are some really good open source alternatives available.

- zipperback

Because all of my friends use Skype instead of MSN or Yahoo ( just an example ) ? :)

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM

- zipperback

If you can give me even one that does audio and video without requiring calisthenics to make it run, I am all for it. Till date there isn't any in open source world that does video and that too with the quality of Skype. Most of them do audio and even then, to bring in other non Linux users into the fold is quite difficult.

FuturePilot
December 12th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Is there a link to the discussion on the reasons for removal?

Regenweald
December 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM

- zipperback

I'd like to hear more about these wonderful FOSS alternatives please..

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Is there a link to the discussion on the reasons for removal?

https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/+announcement/4539

Queue29
December 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I'd like to hear more about these wonderful FOSS alternatives please..

Same here. Not even the stupid Cheese app works with my webcam. Skype on the other hand does video calls just fine. Yet another step in the wrong direction.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 05:58 AM
The saddest part is that I convert many ex Windows users here to Linux, specifically Ubuntu and lots of them are old folks who have family abroad so they desperately need Skype. With removal of a perfectly functioning Skype without even asking its users, Ubuntu devs yet again show their high handedness here. The Skype package offered at Skype site just doesn't work with webcams and if one has to go through contortions to make it work, whats the point of installing it on a first time Ubuntu user.

SLEEPER_V
December 12th, 2009, 06:31 AM
that sucks. I just got my inlaws a webcam so they can watch my 2 yr old open christmas presents.

kostkon
December 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM
The Skype package offered at Skype site just doesn't work with webcams and if one has to go through contortions to make it work, whats the point of installing it on a first time Ubuntu user.
Strange, because mine works OTB with the version from Skype's website.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 06:37 AM
that sucks. I just got my inlaws a webcam so they can watch my 2 yr old open christmas presents.

I can well relate to that, I use Skype daily to talk to my nine year old nephew in Germany, its nice to see him daily which would otherwise not be possible without Skype.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Strange, because mine works OTB with the version from Skype's website.

What cam? Here I have Microdia which has the driver in the kernel itself. The cam works fine in Cheese but all I get is green lines in Skype.

kostkon
December 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Also, I think the OP read the announcement wrongly and didn't check the bug report where it clearly says that the same static packages that are now being provided by medibuntu will be made available by Skype on their site in a few days time.

After some discussion on irc with a skype dev, I think the best proposition is to stop distributing them, as they are apparently going to provide i386 & amd64 & skype-static packages on skype.com.

kostkon
December 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM
What cam? Here I have Microdia which has the driver in the kernel itself. The cam works fine in Cheese but all I get is green lines in Skype.
Logitech QuickCam Express Plus. Works OTB everywhere.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Also, I think the OP read the announcement wrongly and didn't check the bug report where it clearly says that the same static packages that are now being provided by medibuntu will be made available by Skype on their site in a few days time.

Yep lets hope its sooner than later, so far the packages there have multiple issues if you check the Skype forums, webcam being a primary one.

You are lucky that your cam works without any glitches, all I get here is the dreaded green stripes whereas in Cheese it works fine, with the medibuntu skype package, I had absolutely zero issues, cam or sound.

FuturePilot
December 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM

No, it's definitely completely gone. Not listed here anymore http://packages.medibuntu.org/karmic/index.html

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Heres hoping the official package will work now, if it doesnt then I guess someone can demand the package back.
File a million complaints, its the only way to get things done.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I just wish that the official functional medibuntu package was not removed abruptly till Skype had something that worked on offer.

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I just wish that the official functional medibuntu package was not removed abruptly till Skype had something that worked on offer.

Indeed, well if the new version that is said to be released screws up I say complain, bug report, shove it down their throats until functionality is restored.
The app might be closed source, but come on this is nonsense.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 07:10 AM
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=411441

Goes to show the severity of the webcam issue with new Skype, none of the solutions listed have so far worked out in my case.

Kimm
December 12th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Oh? I'm running the latest Skype beta (http://www.skype.com/intl/sv/download/skype/linux/choose/) in Karmic x64. It works great with my webcam...

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Oh? I'm running the latest Skype beta (http://www.skype.com/intl/sv/download/skype/linux/choose/) in Karmic x64. It works great with my webcam...

You are lucky, out here sound works fine, video is all but green color.

Icehuck
December 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM

And this helps the OP how?

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM
And this helps the OP how?

Indeed, like I said though wait it out and if the new release doesnt work file complaints at medibuntu to give the package back.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Indeed, like I said though wait it out and if the new release doesnt work file complaints at medibuntu to give the package back.

Actually I have saved it, so in case anyone has issues with the latest from Skype, I will upload it for them.

For fellow Opera users, I will share it via Opera Unite ;)

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Actually I have saved it, so in case anyone has issues with the latest from Skype, I will upload it for them.

For fellow Opera users, I will share it via Opera Unite ;)

well thats nice of you, and shove it in the face of medibuntu when/if the official release fails.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
This was a hasty decision on Ubuntu's part. They could have waited till release of Lucid instead of taking it out mid way. Maybe the devs think that Video chat is not used by most Ubuntu users but they are truly wrong if they think in those terms.

Icehuck
December 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM
This was a hasty decision on Ubuntu's part. They could have waited till release of Lucid instead of taking it out mid way. Maybe the devs think that Video chat is not used by most Ubuntu users but they are truly wrong if they think in those terms.

I'm gonna go with it's just another way to push empathy and that whole telepathy thing.

Conspiracy theory ftw!

adeypoop
December 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I believe the version in medibuntu was an older version than the one available from Skype's website not compiled differently or anything like that. I'm surprised so many seem to find the older version works better for them I've gone with the newer version of skype myself and had good success with it after a bit of fiddling around.

Here is what i had to do on my Dell PC in case this helps anyone, first of all my usb webcam must be plugged into the usb port on the pc itself (ie not a usb hub on the monitor), also i have to run the following command to start skype

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

no idea what it does, but it works for me. Hope that helps some of you having problems

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'm gonna go with it's just another way to push empathy and that whole telepathy thing.

Conspiracy theory ftw!

Good point, however Empathy in Ubuntu only supports audio/video in Gtalk and no other protocols. The video support is flaky and unlike Skype's P2P tech establishing incoming connection to improve video quality, there is nothing similar in Empathy yet. Also the Empathy in Fedora 12 showed cam icon for MSN and Yahoo accounts along with Google, that indicates it has cam support for the other protocols as well, too bad didnt get a chance to try it out thoroughly but google quality was nothing to write about.

alexcckll
December 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Umm - is one of the main reasons that Skype is closed-source? Maybe Canonical could talk with Skype's owners about offering it via the Partner repository?

That way - they do the same as with Adobe... and everyone's happy.

phrostbyte
December 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps Skype doesn't want Ubuntu distributing it's software?

Also Medibuntu is not affiliated with the Ubuntu project.

The "official" way to get closed source into the Ubuntu distro is via the "partner" repository which is built into Ubuntu. But only with Skype's permission is this possible.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I believe the version in medibuntu was an older version than the one available from Skype's website not compiled differently or anything like that. I'm surprised so many seem to find the older version works better for them I've gone with the newer version of skype myself and had good success with it after a bit of fiddling around.

Here is what i had to do on my Dell PC in case this helps anyone, first of all my usb webcam must be plugged into the usb port on the pc itself (ie not a usb hub on the monitor), also i have to run the following command to start skype

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

no idea what it does, but it works for me. Hope that helps some of you having problems

Yes the one in medibuntu is older by .1 the trick you describe doesn't work here I am afraid.

Keyper7
December 12th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Something is strange here. Skype is a binary blob and the only difference between the medibuntu version and the official version is the packaging, as far as I know. The medibuntu maintainers cannot recompile or anything, simply get the files from the official site and repackage. Why would one version work and the other don't?

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
well for those interested the .debs are still here:
http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/s/skype/

back em up while you can.

Something is strange here. Skype is a binary blob and the only difference between the medibuntu version and the official version is the packaging, as far as I know. The medibuntu maintainers cannot recompile or anything, simply get the files from the official site and repackage. Why would one version work and the other don't?

backhacking I suspect

Linuxforall
December 13th, 2009, 02:16 AM

I have been thinking about that aspect as well, somehow from the very beginning the medibuntu version has been issue less whereas the one from Skype has never functioned with the webcam. I tried it from Intrepid stage where it refused to work cam and sound and now in Jaunty, all I get is green stripes with the cam.

marin123
December 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM

backhacking I suspect

too bad this forum doesnt have THANK YOU! button... i've been messing around with skype whole day (and i should be studying :P ), this finally made it to work :)

Mr. Picklesworth
December 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hey, Linuxforall, the first line of your original post ("As of yesterday Ubuntu devs have decided to remove Skype from mediuntu repos affecting all the variants of Ubuntu from Hardy to Lucid.") is really misleading. While anyone can be an Ubuntu developer, it sounds like you are suggesting Medibuntu is an official part of Ubuntu. It is not :)

Linuxforall
December 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
too bad this forum doesnt have THANK YOU! button... i've been messing around with skype whole day (and i should be studying :P ), this finally made it to work :)

This clearly proves that the version at Skype doesn't work and taking off Skype from Medibuntu was a really premature decision on part of the maintainer.

Linuxforall
December 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Hey, Linuxforall, the first line of your original post ("As of yesterday Ubuntu devs have decided to remove Skype from mediuntu repos affecting all the variants of Ubuntu from Hardy to Lucid.") is really misleading. While anyone can be an Ubuntu developer, it sounds like you are suggesting Medibuntu is an official part of Ubuntu. It is not :)

While its not official, the links are there in FF that comes with Ubuntu and for all the essential needs, its recommended to put the medibuntu repos. It may not be official but it makes Ubuntu run for many of us.

Wiebelhaus
December 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
*posted in wrong thread*

Linuxforall
December 13th, 2009, 07:24 PM
By taking out a perfectly working package and leaving the users with no choice but to download a non-functional package.

MaindotC
December 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
While anyone can be an Ubuntu developer, it sounds like you are suggesting Medibuntu is an official part of Ubuntu. It is not :)

Damn you Picklesworth!!

Pyux
December 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Skype Official Repo

Copy paste into /etc/apt/sources.list and run the Key command in terminal. Sucks that its out of Medibuntu but theres still a repo for us.

#### Skype - http://www.skype.com
## For Key run this command: gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0xd66b746e && gpg --export --armor 0xd66b746e | sudo apt-key add -
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

Linuxforall
December 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Pyux,

Many thanks, is this the same version that comes in Medibuntu?

Pyux
December 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Never used MediBuntu version, no idea what version it is. But this one is up to date and works.

skipknyc
December 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM

backhacking I suspect

Hi there!

This is wonderful! Which one of these should I install?

Thanks!

marin123
December 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hi there!

This is wonderful! Which one of these should I install?

Thanks!

skype common medibuntu 2 and skype 2.0.1.47 (amd64 or i386 - depends on your architecture)
this works beautiful on my 64-bit karmic... :)

Linuxforall
December 14th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Never used MediBuntu version, no idea what version it is. But this one is up to date and works.

This version is the same one that Skype gives out at their site and sadly has the same issue with webcam.

fragos
February 7th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Ubuntu Tweak has a repository for Skype that worked for me. Only problem was that although removing Skype from Medibuntu they left reference to it in the repository. I had to temporarily remove the Medibuntu repository to access the Skype one. After installing Skype I disabled it's repository and enabled Medibuntu again.

samantha_
February 7th, 2010, 03:25 AM
aww comeon... why remove it.
hmm. wait.
a good idea would be add it to the canonical "partner" repos..
After asking skype of course.

Add3r
February 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM

Thanks Sunnyrabbiera! they work!

Just for the cronicle,

I am using Skype with Ubuntu 9.04 on an Asus A8M, and with the inbuilt webcam Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. USB 2.0 (bus ID: ID 0ac8:0321).
I was having the "green screen" or no screen at all problem.
I solved it:
1- doing a remove-purge of my previously installed Skype (the package from the skype website)

2- installing the old Medibuntu skype packages, namely packages
skype-common_2.0.0.68+repack-0medibuntu3_all.deb
skype-static_2.0.0.68+repack-0medibuntu3_i386.deb

3-launching Skype with the command: LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Now my webcam works with skype.Finally...

grj23
May 2nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hi

Just discovered this. After a year of Ubuntu Skype working fine(ish), I upgraded to Lucid Lynx a couple of weeks ago. Skype became a bit more flaky, and eventually was regularly opening, and immediately closing down again.

I decided to try to reinstall, thinking that perhaps I just didn't have the latest medibuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu#Adding%20the%20Repository) and therefore doing the command in the link might work.

Except I wasn't allowed to re-install. Suspicious, I thought, but oh well. I uninstalled, and then discovered that I wasn't allowed to install it any more. Ah - got to start trusting those little nagging doubts :)

So then I went to the skype website (http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/), and did it like that bad old days in *******! :o

But it worked perfectly - video and audio working flawlessly. So I guess I just keep on with this until it breaks and then try to figure out what the latest way of installing is. Hopefully it's at least another 6 months or so...

fragos
May 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Update Manager can directly work with the source at Skype. Here's the Software Source Preferences.

URI: http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/
Distribution: stable
Components: non-free

cariboo
May 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
To see why skype is no longer in the repositories have a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SkypeEthics).

mf205
May 3rd, 2010, 12:07 AM
I have the same problem as others (Logitech cam gives green flickering lines in Skype, though works in cheese). When I follow others' suggestions using the old medibuntu debs and the LD_PRELOAD command, I get

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

The file /usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so does exist.
Can anyone help? I'm running 64-bit Lucid.

Hotwheelz79
May 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Update Manager can directly work with the source at Skype. Here's the Software Source Preferences.

URI: http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/
Distribution: stable
Components: non-free

Hi fragos,

Can u pls confirm what the key one should be using to access the official repo.

Is it still D66B746E

Thanks.

:-)

fragos
May 3rd, 2010, 11:46 PM
I looked in Software Sources-> Authentication tab and found 7FAC5991. Note that I used Ubuntu Tweak to add this repository, I highly recommend it.

mf205
May 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I've solved my own problem from #61: the LD_PRELOAD command needs to be preceded by sudo. This may help others. But is there any way round this (e.g. changing permissions for something) so that I don't need to enter my password in order to run Skype?