December 12th, 2009, 03:04 AM
http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/evidence.shtml

wont stick to the wound
promotes healing
pretty easy to find, sounds like a lot of good possibilities

anyone tried or heard of this before?

Exodist
December 12th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Id have to be pretty bad off to apply honey to my body. I have a OCD with sticky stuff.

Hwt
December 12th, 2009, 03:30 AM
That's a bunch of old snake oil. Really, I think this is all the placebo effect.

Remember the acai berry controversy?

lisati
December 12th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I think the honey-promotes-healing depends on pollen used by the bees. Stories about a particular kind of Manuka (tea-tree) honey having healing qualities have been around for years.

KiwiNZ
December 12th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Manuka has well documented antiseptic properties.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Well Honey is used in Ayurvedic medicine for long since the ancient Vedic times. I have personally tried it on mouth cankers and it has healed faster than regular medicines. Its also good for soothing throat infections. Honey was one of the embalming ingredients in the mummification process for the ancient Egyptians. In fact they found jars of honey inside the Pyramids which were perfectly edible after three thousand years inside.

pwnst*r
December 12th, 2009, 03:40 AM
That's a bunch of old snake oil. Really, I think this is all the placebo effect.

Remember the acai berry controversy?

but if it "works"...

treesurf
December 12th, 2009, 05:18 AM
This is not snake oil. Honey has well proven antimicrobial properties. I hadn't heard of it being used for burns before, though. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the link.

jdong
December 12th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Well no doubt certain kinds of honey do have antiseptic qualities. My question would be, how do those compare with the de facto standards used today -- betadine/iodine, bactricin zinc type antibiotics, alcohol sprays, etc?

Personally, on my next cut I'd first reach for one of the latter, primarily because I know more about them and their efficacy.

sdowney717
December 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
not everybody has access to modern medicine. Honey could be a lifesaver for them. Dont know what the cost of honey is in the third world, but likely very much cheaper than western medicines.
the article said it was better than silver sulphadiazine, a current standard treatment and which is pretty good for severe burns.

wilee-nilee
December 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
It is to bad that the bee populations world wide are in such troubles.
http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/solving-mystery-disappearing-honey-bee

koleoptero
December 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM
This is not snake oil. Honey has well proven antimicrobial properties. I hadn't heard of it being used for burns before, though. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the link.

:-k ..... :eek:

treesurf
December 13th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I didn't mean I was going to intentionally burn myself just so I could put some honey on the burn! But the next time I get burned I will surely try treating the burn with honey.

I'm a hobbyist beekeeper so I'm always curious about different applications for honey.

Exodist
December 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
It is to bad that the bee populations world wide are in such troubles.
http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/solving-mystery-disappearing-honey-bee
Yea I know. this is currently more serious issue then global warming.

cascade9
December 13th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Yes, I known about honey for years. My mum has a bottle of manuka honey that she uses on tuff quite often, and I tend to use honey on the minor burns and abrasions I tend to get (from being a filthy smoker and a cyclist).

I dont have any hard evidence, but IMO it works at least as well as any modern antiseptic. No horrid chemicals involved in making the stuff either.

Caveat- I wouldn't try it with the so called' honey' you get from supermarkets. That stuff is pretty awful.

Well Honey is used in Ayurvedic medicine for long since the ancient Vedic times. I have personally tried it on mouth cankers and it has healed faster than regular medicines. Its also good for soothing throat infections. Honey was one of the embalming ingredients in the mummification process for the ancient Egyptians. In fact they found jars of honey inside the Pyramids which were perfectly edible after three thousand years inside.

'Pyramids' is a misnomer from what I know . 'Tombs' is accurate, as far as I know honey has never been found in any of the real pyramids (by 'real' I mean smooth sided structures, not step pyramids)

Anyway, theres weird stuff going on with some pyramids. See this Czech patent-

http://www.amasci.com/freenrg/tors/drbl.html

imon9
December 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
i'm a doctor, and we do use honey dressing for diabetic patient with foot ulcer.

it works pretty well.

of course, we do use other modern dressing as well, like duoderm, ketosteril etc

wilee-nilee
December 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I saw Sun Ra live two different times at times the Arkestra was wearing pyramid hats.

cascade9
December 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I saw Sun Ra live two different times at times the Arkestra was wearing pyramid hats.

*blinks*

Technically, its nemes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemes

Edit to reply to below, no need for more off-topic posts IMO- Ohh, OK then. ;) Like Devo with an different slant LOL.

wilee-nilee
December 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
*blinks*

Technically, its nemes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemes

No you misunderstand in the picture he is wearing a nemes, but the band actually wore pyramid hats, I couldn't find any pictures. Ra is the sun God, and Sun Ra was out of this world in his approach to music, and the arts.

Before you blink you might investigate what your presuming, you had to go after the previous poster for using the term pyramids, do you think any body really cares for your opinion.

treesurf
December 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Interesting. Why is honey used specifically for diabetic patients?

i'm a doctor, and we do use honey dressing for diabetic patient with foot ulcer.

it works pretty well.

of course, we do use other modern dressing as well, like duoderm, ketosteril etc

suman_kol
December 19th, 2009, 04:25 AM
we are using honey dressing for diabetic/non-diabetic foot ulcers for about 8 months in our hospital here with some success.

suman_kol
December 19th, 2009, 04:28 AM
we also use white portion of egg for dressing in entero-cut fistula opening/pressure-sore/colostomy-ileostomy openings etc.