PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu 9.10 install gone wrong!

Objekt
December 12th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I was feeling quite proud of myself when I left for work today, because I'd made a very old laptop (Compaq Presario 710) not only boot the Xubuntu 9.10 Alternate Install CD over the network, but install Xubuntu over the network as well.

However, once the install completed, I found something very wrong. Chiefly, there is NO GUI whatsoever. I chose the "full disk encryption" option when installing, and after entering the password to unlock the disk at boot, I never get to the XFCE desktop or any hint of it.

What did I do wrong? I haven't the slightest idea how to install all the bits that give you the XFCE graphical environment, nor do I know where I went wrong. Is it possible to rescue this install, or am I better off starting over?

If I have to start over, what options should I choose during install? I didn't choose to leave out the GUI, or at least I didn't think I did. Does the Xubuntu alternate install CD simply not allow you to have a GUI?

Gene Rodgers
December 12th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Do you have a disk which allows booting from disk? You should put the disk in your drive, reboot your computer and make sure you have your cd/dvdrom set as 1st boot option, Hd the last. The screen will come up with language choice first, then choose install xubuntu to hd. Don't choose any encryption offered. You can encrypt your files after installation. The rest is simple, thats why it is the KISS method.