PDA

View Full Version : What KDE Distro?

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Just wondering what KDE Distro is "Best." People say that Kubuntu is not the way to go, and others say openSUSE is the way to go.

However, I want something that has hplip 3.9.4 (or higher) in its repos, and nvidia 185+ in its repos. So I do not have to install it all manually via run files.

I do not want to setup the distro manually (cough arch) and I want it to fit on a CD, since I have no DVD+/-RWs.

I need to be able to install flash with firefox, MP3 codecs, etc. too.

I have to do this all easily, and not from source, otherwise I will blow my head up if it comes to that.

SmittyJensen
December 12th, 2009, 02:25 AM
If you're relatively experienced in Linux, try Fedora 12 and use the Autoten setup script. the artwork is really nice on the kde version too. :D

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 02:26 AM
If you're relatively experienced in Linux, try Fedora 12 and use the Autoten setup script. the artwork is really nice on the kde version too. :D

I'm not experienced, so I guess Kubuntu is the only way *sighs*

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 02:28 AM
openSUSE seems to cover hplip, and it might cover your nvidia card.
Mandriva is a good option too

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 02:28 AM
openSUSE seems to cover hplip, and it might cover your nvidia card.
Mandriva is a good option too

MandrivaOne doesn't come in x64, and I believe it's the CD one, and everything else is DVD.

*sighs* Forget I asked.

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 02:36 AM
MandrivaOne doesn't come in x64, and I believe it's the CD one, and everything else is DVD.

*sighs* Forget I asked.

openSUSE 11.2 has a live CD

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 02:37 AM
openSUSE 11.2 has a live CD

I'll just stick with XFCE when the time comes.

Raffles10
December 12th, 2009, 02:37 AM
There's nothing wrong with Kubuntu, I don't know who says that Kubuntu 'isn't the way to go' there are lots of things that Kubuntu does better than other KDE's, it's integration with GTK app's for one. I've used KDE on Arch and I soon noticed the difference between Kubuntu and 'vanilla' KDE's displaying of GTK applications. It took some considerable searching, downloading & configuring to make them look acceptable.

The only reason I don't use KDE is because I prefer GTK applications over QT, if I wanted to change I wouldn't hesitate to use Kubuntu. :P

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I'll just stick with XFCE when the time comes.

Did you even give openSUSE a shot on live CD?

Dobbie03
December 12th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I liked the Suse 11.2 KDE the best, but I always come back to Ubuntu.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Did you even give openSUSE a shot on live CD?

To be honest, Ubuntu seems easier whenever I look at screens/etc. of openSUSE, so yeah... or any other distro for that matter.

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 02:46 AM
To be honest, Ubuntu seems easier whenever I look at screens/etc. of openSUSE, so yeah... or any other distro for that matter.

openSUSE isnt that hard actually, why not give it a shot?
I am pretty satisfied with openSUSE 11.2, its just as easy as ubuntu in certain areas.
But its easier in others.

~sHyLoCk~
December 12th, 2009, 02:49 AM
openSUSE isnt that hard actually, why not give it a shot?
I am pretty satisfied with openSUSE 11.2, its just as easy as ubuntu in certain areas.
But its easier in others.

Hi,

Clearly he is not interested. I'm guessing he created the thread just coz he was bored [judging by his replies.]. So why waste your time?
Personally I think if you are a new Linux user, openSUSE KDE is the way to go.

Grifulkin
December 12th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Honestly openSUSE is super easy to use, reminded me of ubuntu with a better package manager(own person preference APT just isn't pretty). And easy to install easy just easy. And zypper is awesome.

Psumi
December 12th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Can I install smplayer or totem in openSUSE?

cguy
December 12th, 2009, 02:54 AM
openSUSE has an AWESOME KDE implementation! It's so much speedier than Kubuntu!
I love it! :D
(Expect a few bugs, though.)

However, it has issues that were nailed by Ubuntu a long time ago and the package management is horrible.
As much as the KDE implementation is awesome, the package management is horrible. ;)

~sHyLoCk~
December 12th, 2009, 03:07 AM

No you can't. You can only download the ISO and see it on your hdd. You can't even burn it to a disk.

Ofc you can. What made you think you couldn't? :p

However, it has issues that were nailed by Ubuntu a long time ago and the package management is horrible.
As much as the KDE implementation is awesome, the package management is horrible. ;)

Explain.

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 03:07 AM

Yes, its all there.
All the mediaplayers in ubuntu are there in opensuse.

cariboo
December 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM
CLosed by request.