PDA

View Full Version : Will the alternate CD automatically detect other OSs?

Warpnow
December 11th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I don't want to waste the server's bandwith if it won't. I only have one hard drive. I need to create a smaller partition by shrinking my current one. Will it resize the partition for me and change the grub like the live installer will?

I usually use a remastered lightweight iso I have that doesn't have anything, but I haven't made one for 9.10 yet.

ibuclaw
December 11th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I don't want to waste the server's bandwith if it won't. I only have one hard drive. I need to create a smaller partition by shrinking my current one. Will it resize the partition for me and change the grub like the live installer will?

I usually use a remastered lightweight iso I have that doesn't have anything, but I haven't made one for 9.10 yet.

It uses grub2 - so OS detection will be exactly the same as the LiveCD by logic.

Never tried resizing partition via alternate - so I wouldn't say that is a feature that I've seen. (You could probably switch to a terminal and do it though via command-line).

Regards
Iain

Rainstride
December 11th, 2009, 11:42 PM
if i remember right there is an option to resize and install. i usually use the encrypted LVM option though.

AndyCooll
December 12th, 2009, 12:49 AM
The alternate CD has the ability to do everything the Live CD can do (and more).

:cool: