PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed Windows 7 - No more grub!!!

Topher88
December 11th, 2009, 09:41 PM
So... Might have made a dumb move. I tried looking for the probability of this happening before installing, but I didn't see anything so I just figured it shouldn't be a big deal.

I bought a Vista laptop back in August and got a free copy of Win7 sent to me. I went ahead and dual booted Ubuntu with Vista. I got the Win7 update today, and proceeded to install it over Vista on the corresponding partition, not thinking it would effect GRUB - it did. There is no more GRUB menu at startup.

How screwed am I?

darkod
December 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Not at all. For restoring different bootloaders look here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

You want grub2, for 9.10 I guess.

waspbr
December 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
not entirely screwed provided you did not erase your ubuntu partitions, windows in general does not play nice with other operating systems, so you need to either download a supergrub cd and and get yourself a new grub or install it through a live cd.

Topher88
December 12th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Not at all. For restoring different bootloaders look here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

You want grub2, for 9.10 I guess.

Um... Yeah, so I followed those instructions, and now I get this when I boot up:

Now I can't log into anything except for a liveCD or liveUSB.

Help please...

Topher88
December 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM
UPDATE: I understand that I could use the above command line to do what I need, but if possible I'd really like the grub menu that actually lets me scroll and choose which OS to boot into. Can anyone help me get that one back? Thanks.

Topher88
December 12th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Alright, so... My liveCD is absolutely worthless. Takes 5 minutes to load each time, and another 5 minutes JUST to connect to the internet if it even makes it that far before crashing... LiveUSB works much better, but I only have a liveUSB of 9.04 and don't have the means by which to create a 9.10 liveUSB at the moment. Is there seriously no way to install GRUB without having a LiveCD/LiveUSB of the proper version? I can't just use the internet to get it or anything?

Or could someone at least explain to me how to work my way around in the >grub command as pictured above, so I COULD make the proper LiveUSB and get things rolling?

wilee-nilee
December 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM
You can use unetbootin to load the thumb with 9.10 in W7.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

blue_
December 12th, 2009, 09:19 AM
You can use unetbootin to load the thumb with 9.10 in W7.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Guess you missed the part where he said he cant get into anything :P

Sounds like you didnt follow the steps correctly and missed the step of setting the grub list file.

Are you using multi-partions 1 hd or multi-drives win7 on 1 linux on other?

One thing you can do is use the windows disk to run fixmbr which would make windows boot then you could do this to add ubuntu to the windows boot loader.
http://bkpavan.wordpress.com/2008/04/02/how-to-boot-linux-using-windows-bootloader-xp/

This tut should walk you through booting into either windows or ubuntu from the grub command line :)
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622

Repair your MBR for ubuntu
"How to Restore the Grub Menu after a Re-Ghosting:

1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar.

2. Open a Terminal. Go SuperUser (that is, type "su"). Enter root passwords as necessary.

3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.

4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.

5. Type "root (hd0,3)".

6. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".

7. Type "quit".

8. Restart the system. Remove the bootable CD." This was taken from another thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24113

wilee-nilee
December 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Good call missed the can't boot into either OS. I think starting with the fix MBR is the best solution.

OP I would make sure you always have a ISO burned to a CD or installed on a thumb of any currently running OS it will save you a lot of time. Your on the net saying you can't get to it can you download a ISO from that computer?

blue_
December 12th, 2009, 10:31 AM
some one just told me if you run update-grub it should automaticly grab your windows os also.

Topher88
December 12th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Alright, so here is what all has transpired thus far, for clarification purposes:

-Install Windows 7 - No Grub.
-Attempt to use LiveCD to follow directions in link left by first replier. LiveCD acts very unstable, and can't use Internet because it requires external drivers that require restart.
-Realize that I have LiveUSB (but FORGET that it is 9.04 and not 9.10, which likely causes the following problem.
-Use LiveUSB to follow directions in link left by first replier. Instead of re-implementing Grub, it simply provides a Grub command prompt, as shown in the image, and I was unable to log into to any OS.
-Use LiveUSB to use the Internet and copy down instructions for fixing Windows bootloader. Succes. Am now back where I started, with Windows 7 working but no Grub.
-Use Windows 7 to create LiveUSB of 9.10 with unetbootin.
-Attempt to follow Blue_'s advice - doesn't work. Tells me Grub is not installed. Must be a problem with new LiveUSB.
-Try LiveCD, and surprisingly it actually loads. Open terminal, and issue "Grub" command. Still tells me that Grub is not installed.

Now I'm really up a creek, because I can't install it because I can't get on the internet on live media! How the eff did Grub get uninstalled altogether?

Tomorrow, I'm going to re-create the LiveUSB using my GF's Ubuntu 9.10 computer in hopes that it will work better than the unebootin one - at least then I can get on the internet with it, like I could with the 9.04 LiveUSB, install Grub, and try Blue_'s advice once more.

darkod
December 12th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Alright, so here is what all has transpired thus far, for clarification purposes:

-Attempt to use LiveCD to follow directions in link left by first replier. LiveCD acts very unstable, and can't use Internet because it requires external drivers that require restart.
-Realize that I have LiveUSB (but FORGET that it is 9.04 and not 9.10, which likely causes the following problem.
-Use LiveUSB to follow directions in link left by first replier. Instead of re-implementing Grub, it simply provides a Grub command prompt, as shown in the image, and I was unable to log into to any OS.
-Use LiveUSB to use the Internet and copy down instructions for fixing Windows bootloader. Succes. Am now back where I started, with Windows 7 working but no Grub.
-Attempt to follow Blue_'s advice - doesn't work. Tells me Grub is not installed. Must be a problem with new LiveUSB.
-Try LiveCD, and surprisingly it actually loads. Open terminal, and issue "Grub" command. Still tells me that Grub is not installed.

Now I'm really up a creek, because I can't install it because I can't get on the internet on live media! How the eff did Grub get uninstalled altogether?

Tomorrow, I'm going to re-create the LiveUSB using my GF's Ubuntu 9.10 computer in hopes that it will work better than the unebootin one - at least then I can get on the internet with it, like I could with the 9.04 LiveUSB, install Grub, and try Blue_'s advice once more.

Depending whether you had grub1 or grub2 before windows wiped the MBR, the recovery instructions are different. And also depending whether you are restoring grub1 or grub2 you need to use 9.04 image (or before) or 9.10 image.

And all of the above is under the assumption you actually had ubuntu installed, not wubi inside windows.

Let us know how you get on.

PS. Unetbootin LiveUSB is not very partical for recovery because unfortunately unetbootin creates its own boot menu replacing the ubuntu menu (so you don't have the Try Ubuntu option for example). To get rid of the unetbootin menu you can do:
1. Open the stick.
2. In the root folder rename syslinux.cfg to syslinux.old
3. In the isolinux folder find and rename isolinux.bin to syslinux.bin, isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg
4. Go back and rename the whole folder isolinux to syslinux

If this helps you with your newly created LiveUSB 9.10 boot with Try Ubuntu but do not try to restore grub. Go into your ubuntu root partition in /boot/grub folder and take a look. If you have menu.lst file there most probably you are using grub1. If you have grub.cfg then it's grub2. So use the appropriate instructions depending.

wilee-nilee
December 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM

If you can startup karmic with the thumb you can also mount the original Karmic partition and pull out anything you want to save onto a external HD and then just reinstall Karmic, this would have you back with the grub bootloader. This is just an option, if you can't get the grub to reinstall in the MBR. If it was me I would go this way, but I know what I like on a install so a install is easy for me.

presence1960
December 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
we need to get a clear snapshot of what exactly is installed on your machine and it's boot process. Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and use the link in my signature to download the Boot Info Script to the desktop. Once on desktop open a terminal and run this command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

albannach1
December 12th, 2009, 03:46 PM
EDIT: doesn't work, mod please delete.

Mark Phelps
December 13th, 2009, 12:24 AM
You said you installed Win7, so I'm presuming you have a real Win7 DVD, right?

If that's true, another approach to getting into your OS would be to do the following:
1) Use the Win7 DVD to restore Win7 boot (unless you have that already)
2) Use easyBCD to add entries to the Win7 boot loader for Ubuntu.

The first is done by booting from the Win7 DVD and running Startup Repair until boot is restored (may take up to three tries).

The second is done by going to the NeoSmart Technologies website, downloading the EasyBCD Beta (built 76) and installing that.

They have forums and tutorials that will help you figure out how to configure it.

Topher88
December 13th, 2009, 03:24 AM
we need to get a clear snapshot of what exactly is installed on your machine and it's boot process. Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and use the link in my signature to download the Boot Info Script to the desktop. Once on desktop open a terminal and run this command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

"No such file or directory"

EDIT: Oops, misread the comment. Didn't download the script.

Topher88
December 13th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Sorry about that! Here are the results:

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda
=> Syslinux is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /boot/bcd /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr

sda3: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: Grub
Boot sector info: Grub 0.97 is installed in the boot sector of sda5 and
looks at sector 337065775 of the same hard drive for
the stage2 file. A stage2 file is at this location on
/dev/sda. Stage2 looks on partition #5 for
/boot/grub/menu.lst.
Operating System: Ubuntu 9.10
Boot files/dirs: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda6: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: swap
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sdb1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: Fat32
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs:

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x2cf04d55

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 336,963,575 336,961,528 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 598,761,472 625,135,615 26,374,144 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 336,979,440 598,758,614 261,779,175 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 336,979,503 588,043,259 251,063,757 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 588,043,323 598,758,614 10,715,292 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Drive: sdb ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sdb: 8036 MB, 8036285952 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 977 cylinders, total 15695871 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0004c41b

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sdb1 * 44 15,679,439 15,679,396 b W95 FAT32

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop1: UUID="6888d448-4c09-47d1-ad90-0221855a5556" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda1: UUID="4411211C49FA9980" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: UUID="ECE2D3E4E2D3B0D6" LABEL="RECOVERY" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: UUID="db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda6: UUID="bbedb0bf-d056-41db-9abb-e28610638e1d" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="TOPHER" UUID="BD4D-78EC" TYPE="vfat"

=============================== "mount" output: ===============================

aufs on / type aufs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
/dev/sdb1 on /cdrom type vfat (rw)
/dev/loop0 on /rofs type squashfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/ubuntu/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=ubuntu)
/dev/sr1 on /media/U3 System type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=999,gid=999,io charset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500)

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s /boot/grub/grubenv ]; then
have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then
saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}
save_env saved_entry
prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
fi
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=640x480
insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe
if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
# For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
# understand terminal_output
terminal gfxterm
fi
fi
if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/white
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-16-generic" {
recordfail=1
if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-16-generic (recovery mode)" {
recordfail=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-generic" {
recordfail=1
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic root=UUID=db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-generic (recovery mode)" {
recordfail=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic root=UUID=db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic" {
recordfail=1
set quiet=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic (recovery mode)" {
recordfail=1
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
insmod ntfs
set root=(hd0,1)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 4411211c49fa9980
chainloader +1
}
menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" {
insmod ntfs
set root=(hd0,2)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ece2d3e4e2d3b0d6
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ===============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=db2adc9f-a29c-4891-85b8-baa899e0b3cf / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=bbedb0bf-d056-41db-9abb-e28610638e1d none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ===================

172.5GB: boot/grub/grub.cfg
172.5GB: boot/grub/stage2
172.5GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
172.5GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
172.5GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
172.5GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
172.5GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic
172.5GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
172.5GB: initrd.img
172.5GB: initrd.img.old
172.5GB: vmlinuz
172.5GB: vmlinuz.old
=======Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive==============

sdc

presence1960
December 13th, 2009, 04:50 AM
you do not have GRUB 2 installed to MBR, but you do have GRUB 0.97 installed to boot sector of sda5! How did that happen?

You need to reinstall GRUB 2. Boot from the Live CD/USB. Choose "Try ubuntu without any changes." When the desktop loads open a terminal and run
sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt

Then in terminal run
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

Reboot. Refresh the GRUB 2 menu in terminal with
sudo update-grub

Topher88
December 13th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Sweet! That worked! Thanks!

you do not have GRUB 2 installed to MBR, but you do have GRUB 0.97 installed to boot sector of sda5! How did that happen?Well, it might because earlier I tried to install GRUB 2 from a 9.04 thumb drive, forgetting that it needed to be 9.10... But I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

presence1960
December 13th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Sweet! That worked! Thanks!

Well, it might because earlier I tried to install GRUB 2 from a 9.04 thumb drive, forgetting that it needed to be 9.10... But I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

well that explains it! Glad you got it working! Enjoy Ubuntu.