PDA

View Full Version : Windows xp image

sudoer541
December 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I am about to install windows 7 on my computer and I was wondering is there a software that can make an image of my xp installation?

adaucourt
December 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I am about to install windows 7 on my computer and I was wondering is there a software that can make an image of my xp installation?

vmware converter
http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/getconverter.html

NoaHall
December 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Either back it up from Windows XP using the backup and restore centre, or try a Windows Forum

And by image, do you mean a backup of how your system currently is, or making a image to run on VirtualBox/vmware?

alphaniner
December 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
What kind of image? Do you want something that can be virtualized, or just something that you could restore to the physical machine? If the latter, I suggest using ntfsclone. It's on the System Rescue CD (www.sysresccd.org) Live CD and I use it frequently.

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Symantec Ghost.

sudoer541
December 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
What kind of image? Do you want something that can be virtualized, or just something that you could restore to the physical machine? If the latter, I suggest using ntfsclone. It's on the System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org) Live CD and I use it frequently.

non-virtual

is it possible to install windows 7 with xp like using a partitioner and making room for windows 7 on my xp hard disk?

what are my options?

forrestcupp
December 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Check out Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp). They have a free version that will let you save your image onto CDs or DVDs. You can even run it from within Windows. Then it also has a Linux based live CD to restore your system if you need to.

Techsnap
December 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
You're looking for something like PING:

http://ping.windowsdream.com/

It will make an exact image of your hard drive which can choose where to store/burn, you can then restore this if you choose to.

FuturePilot
December 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Clonezilla

sudoer541
December 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have one more option:

I want to tripple boot ubuntu 9.04, windows xp sp2 and windows 7 all 32bit

I just downloaded the easus partition manager and I am willing to give some space from windows xp disk to 7. ubuntu is on a separate disk (secondary slave)

how can I prevent booting problems (GRUB) and corruptions of files and OSes?

puzzler995
December 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
how do you make a virtual image? that would give3 my ubuntu install more room. thx

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM

I use True Image. Stay with version 10. I actually have a free badged version provided by Seagate, whose HDDs I use. Look for "Seagate DiscWizard".

Alternatively Clonezilla.

sudoer541
December 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM
ok so everything is good. Now when I try to install windows 7. I get an error during the installation.
It asks me for device drivers. and I cant go any further without installing them.

Is my PC too old for windows 7?
I have AMD athlon 64 with 1 GB ram and ATI 128 MB card (model 9250)
I have two hard disks one for xp (main) and one for ubuntu (master slave)

what am I doing wrong?
btw I saw on a video on youtube that windows7 can run on much older PCs than mine.

murderslastcrow
December 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Windows just doesn't have drivers for some XP-compatible machines. I had the same problems- sometimes they're just not available.

You may have to install the XP driver in compatibility mode, or just buy some new hardware. Or, you know, run it in VirtualBox (lulz).

sudoer541
December 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Can I download the vista drivers and let windows 7 install them during installation?
I have a discontinued video card so is there a workaround for that?

handy
December 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Clonezilla

+1.

I used to use Ghost for backing up customers windows systems, (mostly to enable quick recovery in an emergency).

Recently I cloned the internal 320GB drive in my iMac to a 1.5TB drive, using Clonezilla. The original drive was near full, over 290GB & it had fat32, HPS+, 2 x Ext3 & JFS file systems on it. Clonezilla used a variety of open-source tools, applying different tools to different file systems. It did the job in about 4.5 hours & when I installed the new drive in the iMac I just had to do a very quick sync of the partitions for rEFIt's benefit & everything has been working like a charm ever since.

I installed the source & destination drives into another machine & booted the Clonezilla LiveCD to perform the operation, their are a variety of other ways also available with Clonezilla.

There are also a variety of options, re. cloning entire drives (as I did) or just selected partitions, creating images etc.

Clonezilla is also easy & straight forward to use.

sudoer541
December 11th, 2009, 11:32 PM
anyone know a workaround to install windows 7 on a 5~ year old pc?
I saw plenty of videos on youtube running windows 7 on a much older computer than mine.

-grubby
December 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM
anyone know a workaround to install windows 7 on a 5~ year old pc?
I saw plenty of videos on youtube running windows 7 on a much older computer than mine.

Just try it. I had Windows 7 running on a 5 year old PC with 768 MB of RAM and a 1.8 Ghz Sempron. Aero didn't run very well on the GeForce 6100 but it turned itself off anyways, so it was just me testing how it worked.

Right now I have Windows 7 running on a different, but similar in age PC, with 1.2 GB of RAM, an older ATI card (can't remember it specifically), and a Pentium 4 at 2.8 ghz.

K.Mandla
December 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Clonezilla
Another +1. Clonezilla is great stuff.

sudoer541
December 12th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Just try it. I had Windows 7 running on a 5 year old PC with 768 MB of RAM and a 1.8 Ghz Sempron. Aero didn't run very well on the GeForce 6100 but it turned itself off anyways, so it was just me testing how it worked.

Right now I have Windows 7 running on a different, but similar in age PC, with 1.2 GB of RAM, an older ATI card (can't remember it specifically), and a Pentium 4 at 2.8 ghz.

did win 7 ask you for missing device drivers during installation?
I cant install windows 7 until I find the drivers that is asking me.
btw win7 is not telling me what drivers it needs specifically.

cariboo
December 12th, 2009, 01:15 AM
This has become a how do I install windows 7 thread. Thread closed.