PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu just a bridge?

beak02
December 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I left windows back with Ubuntu 8.04 and have been a faithful ubuntu user right through to 9.10. I've really enjoyed how much faster it is than windows and how I'm not supporting the same company that thought it was a good idea to try to screw over the US government :D

Recently, however, I've gone mac. This is brilliant! It's just as fast as ubuntu was, if not faster, is more compatible and requires less fixing than Ubuntu did...

My question is this: Why do I still have (and love) Ubuntu on my old laptop? Are there users who have found ubuntu to be simply a bridge between Windows and Mac? Or does everyone, like me, still have that old computer with a "powered by ubuntu" sticker proudly stuck to the front?

I'd be interested to hear any comments on this subject. It's certainly very interesting...

SunnyRabbiera
December 11th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Not for me, however I do use other distros on the side.
I will never buy a Mac though, apple can kiss my @#%^

Kdar
December 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I would never use Mac or buy anything from them.

I want Linux to grow (in general, any distros).

doas777
December 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
no I wouldn't say that. I'll never touch a mac if I can help it, and I think their business philosophy is even more toxic that MSs.

if ubuntu were a gateway drug, then I think it would lead to BSD rather than apple.

RiceMonster
December 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Some people find it to be a bridge between Windows and other distros or maybe BSD rather than Mac. Some stay with Ubuntu. Depends on who you are and what your needs and likes are.

MooPi
December 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I like to tinker and fiddle and neither MS or Mac give me the options that Linux offers. so I guess that means NO.

fromthehill
December 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM
although ubuntu is a great distro on itself it can be seen as a bridge to some other (more challenging) distro's

mac is the last thing I would think about.

it felt too restricted, even more than windows

The Toxic Mite
December 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I left windows back with Ubuntu 8.04 and have been a faithful ubuntu user right through to 9.10. I've really enjoyed how much faster it is than windows and how I'm not supporting the same company that thought it was a good idea to try to screw over the US government :D

Recently, however, I've gone mac. This is brilliant! It's just as fast as ubuntu was, if not faster, is more compatible and requires less fixing than Ubuntu did...

My question is this: Why do I still have (and love) Ubuntu on my old laptop? Are there users who have found ubuntu to be simply a bridge between Windows and Mac? Or does everyone, like me, still have that old computer with a "powered by ubuntu" sticker proudly stuck to the front?

I'd be interested to hear any comments on this subject. It's certainly very interesting...

I'm glad you have enjoyed using Ubuntu :)

I, too, have fallen victim of Mac's awesomeness. Ubuntu Mac Remix??? :lolflag:

But to make a long story short:

You can use whatever operating system you like. As long as it's not Windows

albannach1
December 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I actually switched from Mac to Ubuntu (currently running on my circa 2006-07 Mac Mini). Mac software selection was either lame, non-existent, or cost more than the computer itself.

I also love the customizability and tinkerability of Linux distributions vs. proprietary software.

FuturePilot
December 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM
It is not just a bridge to me. It's a final destination :D

isaacj87
December 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
So, essentially you're saying it's like the Goldie locks and the Three Bears? Windows is too hot, Ubuntu/Linux is too cold and Mac is just right?

Personally, I haven't had many hardware issues even when I started back on the Feisty (and wonderful) Fawn 7.04, and openSUSE 11.2, what I'm currently running, is like a godsend to me. My biggest qualm with Linux currently is (now, don't flame me here): aesthetics, organics, beauty and integration.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and many might say that they don't think OS X is that great looking anyways, but I think it's absolutely gorgeous. What really attracts me to Macs is OS X. (I don't even care much for the hardware design). I like how it's all connected. Programs communicate well with other programs and more impressively, they do it in quite a beautiful way. The desktop feels bouncy and lively. Not static.

But to get back on topic, I can't say that Linux is a bridge because Linux is an "underdog" that can its own reasonably well. Just like Windows and OS X have their quirks, so does Linux. But in terms of potential, Linux triumphs over any commercial OS because of the the tenacity of its community.

chessnerd
December 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Ubuntu is more than a bridge.

Some feel that Ubuntu is a bridge between the world of Windows and the world of Linux that allows newbie users to learn some things before "moving on."

Some feel that Ubuntu is a bridge to the world of open source, allowing people to move from totally proprietary systems to totally free ones.

I've never heard of Ubuntu as a bridge between Windows and Mac, but I can see where this idea comes from. Both Linux and Mac OS X are Unix-like (actually, I think Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 are officially Unix) so they have a lot in common.

I personally don't see Ubuntu as a bridge. It is more like a well-traveled city. Many people move through it, going from the land of Windows and proprietary software to the land of Linux and open-source, but some people stay and make a life there. I know a guy who's been using Linux since the 90s and he has Ubuntu on his laptop (Arch on his desktop, but still).

Ubuntu is a fine place to call home. Sure, it's not as flashy as other cities like Windows 7 and Mac OS X and not as cutting edge or daring as cities like Arch or Gentoo, but it's a nice place.

Also, on a small side not, I'd never run Mac OS X. I've used many systems running it (10.3, 10.4, and 10.5) and I just don't like it. Firstly, the customization of Mac OS X is a joke. You can't move the menu bar, you're stuck with a dock (which I don't like), and I don't care much for Finder. Windows has way more options and Linux blows them both out of the water. As for compatibility, well, yeah, OS X is better than Linux, but Windows trumps both. What does OS X win in? It's the priciest.

SunnyRabbiera
December 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
My biggest qualm with Linux currently is (now, don't flame me here): aesthetics, organics, beauty and integration.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and many might say that they don't think OS X is that great looking anyways, but I think it's absolutely gorgeous. What really attracts me to Macs is OS X. (I don't even care much for the hardware design). I like how it's all connected. Programs communicate well with other programs and more impressively, they do it in quite a beautiful way. The desktop feels bouncy and lively. Not static.

And uncustomizable for the most part.
Shapeshifter no longer works in Snow leopard
Me I think if you want a well integrated linux system openSUSE is a good one to try out.
In 11.2 KDE4 is very well integrated, and who knows 11.3 it might go farther.
But openSUSE still offers customization, something I value over having everything forced to use the same UI.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 11th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I'd never leave Ubuntu (or Linux in general). Having said that, I'd love to give Mac a go as well. The pricing, however, is a freakin' joke!

HappyFeet
December 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Not for me, however I do use other distros on the side.
I will never buy a Mac though, apple can kiss my @#%^

I agree. In some sense, I think apple is worse than ms.

But if that's who you are, by all means go for it. After all, we all can't be freedom lovers. Besides, you are doing your part to keep the US economy strong.

murderslastcrow
December 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Well, there's not much to fix with a Mac because you bought the OS bundled with the machine. It would be the same if you bought a system76/zareason/Dell PC with Ubuntu preinstalled.

But, back to your original question, I don't think it's a bridge to the Mac. Why? Because my brother and my friend both switched from OS X to Ubuntu on their Macs, since they felt OS X was clunky, hard to work with, and generally too egocentric of an OS.

I think OS X is a good operating system, and since you can run Linux applications inside it offers a lot to *NIX fans. However, if you don't need the few Mac-only applications out there, I don't really see the point in paying for it.

Another note: You mentioned OS X was 'faster', but you also mention you keep Ubuntu on your "old laptop." It's likely that you're comparing a fast system's speed on a slow computer to a more bulky system's performance on a much faster computer (unless you bought an old Mac or something).

Still, If you're running KDE with compiz, Linux is just barely 2 times faster than Leopard. If you're running with anything less, Linux is much faster.

However, Snow Leopard IS faster with certain tasks on the same hardware with Linux. Only a few, though, and not enough faster to justify buying it I would still say. But to each his own, I just wonder what the logic is behind it.

lisati
December 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
As a potential user of a MAC, I am put off by the price, which is beyond my current budget. My opinion is also coloured by a perceived lack of ability to tinker, based on a limited experience with MACs back in the 1980s.

Matthewthegreat
December 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I was using my friends mac and I didn't like it. I find it easier to do stuff in Ubuntu. Just little things like the fact there's no location bar in finder (and no up directory button)!! it's harder to install wine!! or the fact there's no middle mouse button click, you have to simulate it with cmd + click!

Now I'm not say mac os X is a bad OS but I think it's inferior to Ubuntu. Why should I settle with less when more is free? ;)

doas777
December 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I was using my friends mac and I didn't like it. I find it easier to do stuff in Ubuntu. Just little things like the fact there's no location bar in finder (and no up directory button)!! it's harder to install wine!! or the fact there's no middle mouse button click, you have to simulate it with cmd + click!

Now I'm not say mac os X is a bad OS but I think it's inferior to Ubuntu. Why should I settle with less when more is free? ;)

Middle button you say? did they finally get a right button?

jpmelos
December 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I don't think Ubuntu is a bridge between two any operating systems whatsoever. It's great, perfecly working, and you can do everything on it that you could on any other OS, except for gaming, which you can only do in complete sense in Windows...

But, if someone is starting on Linux, I would certainly point them to Ubuntu, and not ArchLinux, Gentoo or whatever. Then, if they like Ubuntu, evolve and learn, they can choose to go over something more complicated. Me myself, when I was starting to use Linux, I felt attracted to those harder stuff, and I thought of Ubuntu or other simpler operating systems as a transition step between Windows and the hard stuff. Now I've changed my mind. Ubuntu is a very complete operating system and very applicable to be used on all levels, and I don't intend to leave it until something better is invented.

TheNessus
December 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Well, let's analyze your post.

You say that your Mac is "just as fast as ubuntu was, if not faster". You then mention that your Ubuntu is on your "old laptop". I can make the educated guess that your new mac is new out of the box.

Do you really not see the relation between a machine being older and it being slower? Or did it never, not once, not got into your mind, before posting this thread?

xpod
December 11th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I`ve been using *buntu most of the time i`ve been using a computer and as long as it stays around in some way, shape or form i`m sure it`s what i`ll be using when i eventually stop using a computer.
I do mess about with other distro`s as well as other peoples messed up Windows machines but *buntu is the one constant.

Shpongle
December 11th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I would never use Mac or buy anything from them.

I want Linux to grow (in general, any distros).

++

BrokenKingpin
December 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I can't stand Macs. I would much rather use Windows over a Mac, and Linux (Ubuntu specifically) over Windows.

nothingspecial
December 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I`ve only ever had linux.

Ubuntu in the main.

I'd like to try windows or mac 1 day.

BuffaloX
December 11th, 2009, 11:48 PM
It may be a bridge, but not "just" a bridge.
If you are unhappy with Windows for any reason, you may want to try something else.
It would be logical to try the free Linux/Ubuntu option first, which often works on your old Windows rig,
If Linux doesn't satisfy you, or out of curiosity you might try OS/X.

But I have seen quite a few posts from people who go the other way round too, trying MAC then Linux, and stay with Linux or keep both.

And of course some go back to Windows.

It's a big world, people do all the combinations.

Warpnow
December 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
No way its a bridge to me, I don't come to linux for speed, I come for the customization, which happens to give me the option to have a speedy system.

I've seen ALOT of linux systems MUCH slower than windows systems because people just installed whatever they felt like via apt and paid no attention to how it affected speed. That freedom, however, is their choice.

Freedom is why I run linux.

wojox
December 11th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Linux = Tech Savy

Mac = Graphic Artists

Microsoft = General Population.

On a side note, I know a couple people who buy Mac's and install Linux.

cmat
December 11th, 2009, 11:59 PM
It is not just a bridge to me. It's a final destination :D

Same here. I use other distros but Ubuntu generally has been the best choice for general computing for me. I like Macs but calling Ubuntu only a step-between Windows and Mac is just an oversight.

adeypoop
December 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Nah Ubuntu's not a bridge, I think Mac is a bridge between Windows and Ubuntu though.

NoaHall
December 12th, 2009, 12:14 AM
On a side note, I know a couple people who buy Mac's and install Linux.

Done it. On every Mac I've owned.

hoppipolla
December 12th, 2009, 12:21 AM

What an unusual post! hehe :)

I mean i SUPPOSE I can see where you are going, but I have always considered Linux (by that I mean open source OSs collectively - sloppy terminology!) to be very distinct from both OSX and Win, with it's own pros and cons.

For me, I find Windows too restrictive and it feels a bit weak, I also find it dull and I love the depth and freedom of open source. OSX... it does look quite nice, but I feel the toolkit is a little dated, I'm not a fan of docks, I don't like Apple, and I love KDE and open source too much to switch anyway! hehe :)

I don't think any of the big 3 OSs is a bridge to any other, they all have very firm strangths, as much as I love Ubuntu with KDE I'll admit it's not as solid as Win/OSX, has less polish, isn't as simple, has often complex program installations and has less software.

The expression I think we are looking for here is... swings and roundabouts! :)

jrusso2
December 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I actually switched from Mac to Ubuntu (currently running on my circa 2006-07 Mac Mini). Mac software selection was either lame, non-existent, or cost more than the computer itself.

I also love the customizability and tinkerability of Linux distributions vs. proprietary software.

Most of the software that I use on macs is the same as I use on Linux.

Sealbhach
December 12th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I can't think of any good reason to spend all that dough on buying a Mac. Unless you're a graphic designer, I suppose and need to use it for that. Otherwise, you're just paying for a fancy case.

-grubby
December 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Linux = Tech Savy

Because it's impossible for Linux to be user friendly and no manufacturers at all sell preconfigured Linux machines.

Mac = Graphic Artists

Because all those applications aren't available for Windows

Microsoft = General Population.

If you mean the fact that Windows has a 90% marketshare, uhh, yeah I guess. Even though the other choices can be suitable.

Supertramp1138
December 12th, 2009, 01:01 AM
!!no sir apple is terrible!!
i will never own or even touch one again

Hwæt
December 12th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I'm not supporting the same company that thought it was a good idea to try to screw over the US government

The government does that well enough by itself.

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Because it's impossible for Linux to be user friendly

Wait, what???

and no manufacturers at all sell preconfigured Linux machines.
And you forget Dell with ubuntu preinstalled.

-grubby
December 12th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Wait, what???

And you forget Dell with ubuntu preinstalled.

Your sarcasm-meter needs readjustment.

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Your sarcasm-meter needs readjustment.

Your linsux meter needs readjustment :D

forrestcupp
December 12th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Judging from about 60% of the UF population, Ubuntu is a bridge to Arch. ;)

Mac is an expensive, restrictive, uncustomizable, less supported mess. But since a lot of people are satisfied being sheep and having everything spoon fed to them in a flashy manner, it's a great option for the world to have. :)

julianb
December 12th, 2009, 04:22 AM
For me, Ubuntu has been a bridge to Tiny Core Linux. I know of no operating system so well-designed as one that provides a bare-bones system for 10MB and, with another 100MB of downloads, provides similar functionality to a full Ubuntu install (openoffice included).

Grifulkin
December 12th, 2009, 05:27 AM
For me, Ubuntu has been a bridge to Tiny Core Linux. I know of no operating system so well-designed as one that provides a bare-bones system for 10MB and, with another 100MB of downloads, provides similar functionality to a full Ubuntu install (openoffice included).

+1 for Tiny Core, I always recommend that when someone ask for a lightweight distro.

But besides that, for me Ubuntu was a bridge to Arch. I can't help it I just love they way my computer runs on it, and how much I learn from it everyday.