PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Two Ubuntus installed - how to remove one?

abakan
December 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hi guys!

It was my first experience with Linux so when I installed Ubuntu I did it twice. So, I've got two systems installed and GRUB says:

Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-16-generic-pae
Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-16-generic-pae (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-generic-pae
Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-15-generic-pae (recovery mode)
...memory check...
plus VISTA

Is there a way to remove one of the Ububtus?

Thanks in advance for any help!

cosine352
December 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM
you can install partition editior and reformat the partion of the ubuntu you do not want.

In terminal type

sudo apt-get install gparted

After installation type
sudo gparted in the terminal and look for the proper partition to format.

WARNING: make sure you are formating the right partition as you will lose everything in that partiton.

darkod
December 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM
you can install partition editior and reformat the partion of the ubuntu you do not want.

In terminal type

After installation type in the terminal and look for the proper partition to format.

WARNING: make sure you are formating the right partition as you will lose everything in that partiton.

DO NOT DO THIS!!! Not right now at least.
The part of the grub menu you supplied does NOT mean two ubuntus, it just means two kernels.
Yes, open Gparted and take a look at your partitions, but don't delete anything. If you are not sure, post a screenshot of Gparted here so someone can take a look.
Those entries 31-15 and 31-16 might be different ubuntu versions but more likely it seems like two kernels of the same version. If you really did install twice maybe the second install went over the first one.

cosine352
December 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
The part of the grub menu you supplied does NOT mean two ubuntus, it just means two kernels.
Yes, open Gparted and take a look at your partitions, but don't delete anything. If you are not sure, post a screenshot of Gparted here so someone can take a look.
Those entries 31-15 and 31-16 might be different ubuntu versions but more likely it seems like two kernels of the same version. If you really did install twice maybe the second install went over the first one.

darkod is right. I missed the kernel versions. your installation is fine.

tedk89
December 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
ok I have the same thing, except I just want to remove the kernal entry from grub or several entries from grub, the list has been slowly growing... Help would be greatly appreciated, sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread.

darkod
December 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
ok I have the same thing, except I just want to remove the kernal entry from grub or several entries from grub, the list has been slowly growing... Help would be greatly appreciated, sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread.

It's always recommended to keep at least one older kernel which is working fine, in case you meet some issues with the latest one.
Otherwise, go into Synaptics Package Manager (in System-Administration), and look for the kernels you want to remove. You can try putting into the filter box "linux" or "2.6.31-14", etc.
Remove the ones you want to remove. Do
sudo update-grub

afterwards to update the menu (if this was a 9.10 clean install and you have grub2).

tedk89
December 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM
thank you!

abakan
December 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Thanks a lot! According to Gparted there is no other ubuntus installed (as far as I can tell).

A_T
December 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM
What would be the advantage of removing one of the kernels? Assuming both work OK.

darkod
December 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
What would be the advantage of removing one of the kernels? Assuming both work OK.

Nothing really. Less crowded grub menu. The kernels don't take too much hdd space so I'm not aware of any advantage myself.