PDA

View Full Version : Vista 5308

Sp@z
February 23rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
I read the article. But I was so amused by the "Remarks section" major flamewars and only 1-2 ppl like Vista.........check it out. BTW I like the "Gadjets" Vista added, kind of remind me of Gdeslets. :P LOL

http://blog.pcmag.com/blogs/miller/archive/2006/02/22/78.aspx

Stormy Eyes
February 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Well, it's not nearly as ugly as XP was; I'll grant that much. And it looks like the IE people learned from Firefox.

midwinter
February 23rd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Screenshots look quite nice.

I feel dirty now.

Virogenesis
February 23rd, 2006, 07:41 PM
Linux is going to take a huge chunk if thats all Microsoft has to offer its ugly as I wouldn't actually said yuck when i saw it the second time....first time....ok its nasty... second time.....what the hell is up with the start button it looks out of place.

K.Mandla
February 23rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
I'll try it a couple of years from now, after they've released the service packs that make it usable.

And then I'll go back to Ubuntu 7.10 -- Klever Kangaroo!

Rackerz
February 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
I know a lot of people don't like Microsoft but I'm one of those who sits on the fence.

Windows Vista is no were near finished so theres nothing you can complain about really. It's only a beta after all just remember that. Whether it will be useable or not is to be seen.

On a lighter note I'm quite happy to get this build because this build is 'feature-complete' so it sounds like the build to get :).

public_void
February 23rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Not a good sign (http://aa.1asphost.com/retrocomp/0,1425,sz=1&i=119988,00.jpg).

Gijith
February 23rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
It looks nice. And from what I've read, it will pack some very nice features. But, considering they've had almost 5 years, I would have thought they'd have something a little more advanced. Not just an 'improvement' on their old ideas. I mean think about progress Microsoft made between 1996 and 2001. What have they been up to the last 5 years?

Sheinar
February 23rd, 2006, 08:59 PM
It seems every time someone makes a negative comment on any article Windows related, there's always someone who decides to go "u mac fans r sux windows rulz u ur just jelus!!!1"

xequence
February 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Really... It doesent bring anything new to the table.

New look? I can get that exact look with a vista theme. Just no transparency, yet.

Sidebar? Who needs a sidebar taking up screen space just for a couple useless things, like another clock.

I think Vista rocks! Love it or leave it. Microsoft has taken customer feedback seriously. It is also by far the only company that is as quickly responsive to bugs and patches. And if you think, there ever was a rival company that made a zero-defect product, tell me about it. Microsoft is about continous improvement and above all Innovation - accept it or not, thats the fact.

(quote from a comment on that site)

Dude! Im the first to defend windows if someone is totally unfair and lies about it, but you cant honestly say there is anything innovative in vista.

Brynster
February 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
"u mac fans r sux windows rulz u ur just jelus!!!1"

Sorry can you please translate the above as I am far to old to learn l33t :)

Stormy Eyes
February 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Sorry can you please translate the above as I am far to old to learn l33t :)

Translation: "You Mac weenies suck. Windows rules, and you're just jealous!"

xequence
February 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry can you please translate the above as I am far to old to learn l33t

Dude, that is so not 1337! Its n00b :P

n00b: "LI3K OMZROZ, HAH EVRA1, LOLZORZ"

1337: "|-|3|_|_0 3\/3RY0|\|3"

Bandit
February 23rd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Only thing that looks nice is the task bar.
The ICONs look like a rip off from KDE.
The Window frame look like a rip off from GNOME's Metacity.
The "gadgets" are defiantly a rip off from S. Karmaba and gDesklets..
My god we need to give an award to microsloppy for originality.

Cheers,
Joey

mstlyevil
February 23rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Only thing that looks nice is the task bar.
The ICONs look like a rip off from KDE.
The Window frame look like a rip off from GNOME's Metacity.

Cheers,
Joey

Mac OSX users have been complaining they were being ripped off to.

Zodiac
February 23rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Gotta try it before I can judge.

Also, the screenshots are about as useful as the screenshots of different distros that all show the same gnome or KDE interface... so lame. They don't tell me anything...

Rackerz
February 23rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
It looks nice. And from what I've read, it will pack some very nice features. But, considering they've had almost 5 years, I would have thought they'd have something a little more advanced. Not just an 'improvement' on their old ideas. I mean think about progress Microsoft made between 1996 and 2001. What have they been up to the last 5 years?

I'm going to agree there. But were else can they go? If they were going to make things more advanced they would need people to have computers with the power to run the advancements. Vista is already asking alot just for the operating system itself IMO.

Bandit
February 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Mac OSX users have been complaining they were being ripped off to.
Which came first the mac or the unix :p

Sirin
February 23rd, 2006, 10:39 PM

Actually, The Gadget Engine is a ripoff of Apple's Dashboard (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dashboard/) for Mac OS X. Gdesklets and Super Karamba are also imitations of Dashboard too. ;)

Kernel Sanders
February 23rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/4969/vista0le.jpg

*****HOLY CRAP ITS WINDOWS VISTA!!!!*****

Positives to Windows Vista:

1) It looks pretty!

***CORRECTION*** Positive removed, as the screenshot above (of my desktop) shows, its easy to get the "Vista Look" pretty much exactly right in Windows XP Pro SP2. Note that the new stupid Vista start button has been replaced with the older DECENT start button on my desktop too, and I have translucency effects!

*** END OF VISTA POSITIVES ***

Negatives to Windows Vista:

1) Its BLOATED and about to explode! Enjoy the ENORMOUS program that is Windows Vista (Several GB IIRC) and all the 100+ "Genuine Advantaged" programs that it installs by default.

2) The start button is the most hidious thing I could ever have the misfortune of seeing, until Steve Balmer and Bill Gates's love child is revealed to the world that is. I WANT TO KILL THE BASTARD THING!!! Why did they change it? See the above screenshot of my desktop to see how the start button used to look...... much much much better? No?

3) Its full of DRM...... *Windows has detected that you have played the mp3 you just bought too many times, windows will now corrupt the file so that you have to buy it again* *Windows has detected that a patch is available to plug the glaring security hole in the windows kernal, please wait while before downloading the patch, we subject your computer to an invasive, possibly illegal, and definately privacy destroying search, so that we can ensure that your running "Genuine Windows Software".

4) Its basically Windows XP Pro SP2 with a new skin. See how this can be achieved, with better results than the actual Windows Vista skin (IMHO) in Windows XP by viewing the above screenshot.

4a) Yes I was serious with point 4, windows vista is claimed to be all about "Security, Security, Security". BOLLOCKS. I have a firewall (Not windows firewall obviously), antivirus, and antispyware running at all times in my Windows XP Pro SP2 installation. Can I say my computer is equally as safe/maybe more safe than vista is/will be...... and in good conscience? YES, yes I can!

5-100) [Insert the rest of the reasons here, we all know what they are, but i'm bored with typing now, and my dinner's ready! :p]

Sirin
February 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Is it me or is this "Windows Mail (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/forhome/mail.mspx)" just a Windozed ripoff of Apple Mail (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/mail/)? :rolleyes:

xequence
February 23rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
(Several GB IIRC)

While I dont know what IIRC means, I do know it is supposed to be able to run fine on 512MB RAM. (The final version).

Kernel Sanders
February 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
While I dont know what IIRC means, I do know it is supposed to be able to run fine on 512MB RAM. (The final version).

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

And the several GB comment referred to the size of Windows Vista on the install DVD.

Windows XP easily fit onto a CD remember.

Sorry for the confusion!

John \\:D/

Iandefor
February 23rd, 2006, 11:03 PM
Looks kinda purty. But Microsoft is, once again, behind the game.
The sidebar needs work- I wouldn't want my desktop monopolized by some goliath of a widget!

xequence
February 23rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

Ok, thank you very much :)

And the several GB comment referred to the size of Windows Vista on the install DVD.

Oh, yea, youre right. The ISO, rar-ed, is 2.67 GB.

Sorry for the confusion!

Its ok :)

Donshyoku
February 24th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I hate to be the Microsoft advocate... but Gadgets are not a rip-off of either Dashboard, gdesklets, or Karamba...

Microsoft had the gadgets and sidebar in the Whistler beta (that is Windows XP), they decided to cut it out. They've been working on this for the last seven years. Apple just pulled it out of their rear a few months ago.

erikpiper
February 24th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Nice! You un-uglified XP! Is it possible to do that for free? I would like to have a good looking-xp when I need to use it...

Kernel Sanders
February 24th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Nice! You un-uglified XP! Is it possible to do that for free? I would like to have a good looking-xp when I need to use it...

I'm using VistaXP 3.1

Its a Windowblinds file, so you'll need Windowblinds to install it....... :(

VistaXP 3.1 is free, Windowblinds is also free if you want it to be! ;)

Just do what your conscience tells you......

Oh and P.S: All the rumours about windowblinds are rubbish, is using practically NO system resources at all to run this theme, and thats with transparency on as well! (Maybe they fixed the high resource usage in version 5.0? The one i'm using is 5.0 by the way)

blastus
February 24th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Well at least IE has tabs now. :rolleyes: No thanks, I'm sticking with KDE and will wait till KDE 4 comes out.

Just do what your conscience tells you......

Oh I certainly will. :)

xequence
February 24th, 2006, 02:20 AM
John, Blastus, and Erik, just to tell you, you do not need windowsblinds to install themes.

Just get an uxtheme.dll patcher, easily found with google, and its free.

WildTangent
February 24th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Its a Windowblinds file, so you'll need Windowblinds to install it....... :(

You realise that WindowsBlinds is malware, right?

-Wild

Sirin
February 24th, 2006, 03:28 AM

-Wild

So use StyleXP. ;)

xequence
February 24th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Ive never seen a theme that I couldent just put into /windows/resources/themes and have it work. (After uxtheme.dll got patched)

Protostar
February 24th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Everytime I tried to install themes in XP I got spyware. So I stopped. I got some themes installed, but got spyware as well. I got enough spyware just surfing the net. It's so much easier installing themes in Ubuntu. I :heart: this OS.:mrgreen:

ice60
February 24th, 2006, 04:42 AM
you can get it looking better with free stuff, here's my desktop from a month or so ago.

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/6088/desktop3eg.th.jpg (http://img400.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop3eg.jpg)

you can change your icons with this (http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_aifw.html)

here are some icons
http://www.vistaicons.com/

to change the windows theme you can use this (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707) to patch the uxtheme.dll, so you can use unsigned MS themes, make sure you are ready to reboot when you do the hack.

you can get themes from here (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=36) alot of the vista stuff has been taken off sites because MS was crying about it all. i can upload the theme i use in the screenshot if you want. i think it was taken down but only because the creater wanted to, it's called element, there might be a new version now.

here's a thread about a program which does everything for you, i tried it out in the end and it was very good. but it may have been discontinued :confused: EDIT there's no malware in any of my links.
http://wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=95673

ice60
February 24th, 2006, 05:00 AM

-Wild
is that a recent thing? i know it was malware free up until about 3/4 months ago.

BarfBag
February 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM
That is disgusting. Espessially that big bulky side bar. Start menu looks like crap as well. And to think some people actually look forward to that. :rolleyes:

Iandefor
February 24th, 2006, 07:54 AM
That is disgusting. Espessially that big bulky side bar. Start menu looks like crap as well. And to think some people actually look forward to that. :rolleyes: There's no accounting for people's taste.

GoA
February 24th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I also like a lot about the new Vista looks. It's clean and nice to the eyes. Also I like the transparencies. I would turn off the sidebar and gadgets because I don't lile them. I would also find a patch or crack to remove or disable thew DRM and stupid ET calls home properties that windows has. But yes, I will definetly get a "testing version" of this and install it right after it's published in the internet.

Kernel Sanders
February 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM
@ xequence

The VistaXP 3.1 translucent theme i'm using is actually in windowblinds format, hence, its needs windowblinds to install and run it.

If it had been in .msstyles format on the other hand.... you are perfectly correct a patched uxtheme.dll would have run it no problem.

@ WildTangent

I'm using WindowBlinds 5.0 Enhanced, and I can confirm NO malware, search bars popups etc.... Its 100% clean, and unlike previous versions of Windowblinds, its using almost NO system resources.

Hope this helps!

John

bonzodog
February 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM
little factoid about WindowBlinds:
WindowBlinds were the people hired to create the XP front end, which is why WindowBlinds is classed as Officially Recognised software by Microsoft. Indeed, you can purchase WindowBlinds off the MS site. The WindowBlinds software is designed WITH MS to blend seamlessly into XP. It's also interesting to note that some of the WindowBlinds people are known KDE and Gnome themers, and in a roundabout way you could say that MS used linux as the influence for the XP front end. They saw the highly themed front ends of X, and realised they were falling behind, so they set about adapting Windows.

WildTangent
February 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM
little factoid about WindowBlinds:
WindowBlinds were the people hired to create the XP front end, which is why WindowBlinds is classed as Officially Recognised software by Microsoft. Indeed, you can purchase WindowBlinds off the MS site. The WindowBlinds software is designed WITH MS to blend seamlessly into XP. It's also interesting to note that some of the WindowBlinds people are known KDE and Gnome themers, and in a roundabout way you could say that MS used linux as the influence for the XP front end. They saw the highly themed front ends of X, and realised they were falling behind, so they set about adapting Windows.
Interesting...when I used it, I kept getting adverts and popups. And it wasn't the most intuitive software to use either. Meh, I'm quite happy with my current longhorn skin. Its from build 5048, and in my opinion, is the coolest looking Vista skin other than the fully transparent Aero Glass. I used the Longhorn Transformation pack to do it, which other than the skin, can also change your bootsplash, and login screen, but all i changed was the theme and the start menu button icon.

http://longlivemarneus.serveftp.net/Justin/screenshots/win_screen_021606.JPG

Yes, I have way too many icons. I'm too lazy to clean it up. The only reason I even boot it up is to play games.

-Wild

frodon
February 24th, 2006, 02:56 PM
LOL, Vista don't have as much eye candy as compiz/Xgl already have .... and think what compiz/Xgl will be when vista will be available.
What a joke ! ;)

mstlyevil
February 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
LOL, Vista don't have as much eye candy as compiz/Xgl already have .... and think what compiz/Xgl will be when vista will be available.
What a joke ! ;)

Vista is more polished than XGL/Compiz since these are still in alpha form. On the other hand Vista is not expected to ship until December so that gives the XGL/Compiz devel team a lot of time to work on it and improve it and make it outshine Vista.

NoWhereMan
February 24th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Vista is more polished than XGL/Compiz since these are still in alpha form. On the other hand Vista is not expected to ship until December so that gives the XGL/Compiz devel team a lot of time to work on it and improve it and make it outshine Vista.
yeah, I wish Ubuntu 6.10 came bundled with compiz & xgl [-o< :-)

andrewsawyer
February 25th, 2006, 03:13 AM
For people not up-to-speed on Compiz and Xgl, take a look at the vid I made with my handcam and Kino of my desktop running Xgl, Compiz and Xdesktopwaves. The url is in my sig.

xequence
February 25th, 2006, 03:14 AM
For people not up-to-speed on Compiz and Xgl, take a look at the vid I made with my handcam and Kino of my desktop running Xgl, Compiz and Xdesktopwaves. The url is in my sig.

You have a fast server. Youre cool.

andrewsawyer
February 25th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Thank you :-) It's hosted by http://www.cleverdot.com - I know I'm not supposed to advertise, but if anyone is looking for a hosting package they are pretty cheap!

And no - I'm not on commission!

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Developing the plethora of patches for all of those windows operating systems that were hacked, cracked and raped.

Vista has nothing new in terms of looks that other operating systems had for eons now. Before they used to do some pretty innovative things with their OS, but lately Microsoft has fallen behind and is playing catch up.

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Not a good sign (http://aa.1asphost.com/retrocomp/0,1425,sz=1&i=119988,00.jpg).
Not really. This is their first attempt, stuff is expected to malfunction. When 5.10 came out in non-release form, it performed unexpectedly at times and even crashed. This is nothing defining.

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Christ, this is going to suck big. I earnestly hope that Vista flops and not because it has a shiny new look. Microsoft is going to pack it up to the gills with DRM crap. Those that are not in the loop with RIAA and MPAA are going to find it impossible to play some DVDs and such.

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 04:09 AM
The only version of Vista worth having is Vista Ultimate Edition, and I'm not paying $800 for a slight visual revamp, a sidebar (sheeze, get Konfabulator or Google Sidebar), and tabbed browsing - OMG! wow! tabs!

Firefox has had them for ages.
Use Linux. Maybe MacOS. or 2000/XP

Rather that a buggy crappy release.
Well, at least wait till service pack 2!
Bingo.

There are going to varying 'versions' of this crap. Some will be home, student, professional, entertainment, family, etc. And $800? For what?

Honestly, get XP 64-bit if you need/want to use a windows OS for gaming and yet run in a 64-bit environment.

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 04:20 AM
That was in****ingcredible. My jaw dropped after 20 seconds of the movie.

Stupid question, but it's nagging me, is that Windows or Ubuntu?

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Thank you :-) It's hosted by http://www.cleverdot.com - I know I'm not supposed to advertise, but if anyone is looking for a hosting package they are pretty cheap!

And no - I'm not on commission!
Tell me more about how you got this working.

/very impressed...

andrewsawyer
February 25th, 2006, 04:33 AM
That was in****ingcredible. My jaw dropped after 20 seconds of the movie.

Stupid question, but it's nagging me, is that Windows or Ubuntu?

Dapper with Xgl. Glad you liked it! :-)

I just followed the how-to sticky in the Dapper forum. I used the debs built for AMD64 machines, as I had some problems compiling it for some reason.

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Dapper with Xgl.
Curses! I thought I might be able to do it in Breezy.

Glad you liked it! :-)
That's an understatement.

I remember when I first saw the interface for Mac OS and I thought it was pretty cool initially. I had this effect of "Wow! That's neat!". I didn't think that effect would ever be beaten, but it was. This time my effect was: "Wo... I... *drool*."

andrewsawyer
February 25th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Curses! I thought I might be able to do it in Breezy.

That's an understatement.

I remember when I first saw the interface for Mac OS and I thought it was pretty cool initially. I had this effect of "Wow! That's neat!". I didn't think that effect would ever be beaten, but it was. This time my effect was: "Wo... I... *drool*."

It *may* be possible in Breezy, but I'm not aware of anyone that has done it - yet.

The problem is that Dapper comes with a much newer version of x-server, so if you want it in Breezy, you have to upgrade that. I guess you could do it with a dodgy/semi dist-upgrade, but I wouldn't care to try it!

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 04:39 AM
It *may* be possible in Breezy, but I'm not aware of anyone that has done it - yet.

The problem is that Dapper comes with a much newer version of x-server, so if you want it in Breezy, you have to upgrade that. I guess you could do it with a dodgy/semi dist-upgrade, but I wouldn't care to try it!
Naturally, the next question is where and how can I get Dapper.

Iandefor
February 25th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Naturally, the next question is where and how can I get Dapper. You can get .isos here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-February/000050.html

You can also do a dist-upgrade to your existing installation, which I'll outline here:

1. open up /etc/apt/sources.list for editing as root (sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list)

2. change any instances of "breezy" to "dapper", save, and exit.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade But I would suggest you use the .isos.

SVFUSiON
February 25th, 2006, 04:50 AM
I am an beta tester, and I say that this build is not very good and nither has the passed builds. This is one build from beta 2 stage and is still way behind. Drivers are lacking, programs don't work, slugish, many features are just annoing. What they are having problems with is improving XP. XP is a great OS for MS, they just rethink vista and where they are going with it. The drivers nvida released to day....LMFAO, that is the biggest joke in the world, this is coming for a HUGE nvidia fan. The drivers can not suck any worse than the old LDDM ones. This is what is going to push people away from MS and seek other altertives such as Linux and Mac. I have been using MS products for servers/clients/media for some time, this OS is a major mistake.

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 04:51 AM
You can get .isos here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-February/000050.html

You can also do a dist-upgrade to your existing installation, which I'll outline here:

1. open up /etc/apt/sources.list for editing as root (sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list)

2. change any instances of "breezy" to "dapper", save, and exit.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade But I would suggest you use the .isos.
Thanks.

andrewsawyer
February 25th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Dapper will be released as 'complete' in April, however you can download the beta version now. You can either do a full reinstall by downloading an iso (I think the newest major build is Flight 4, however new updates come out every day), or you can replace all instances of Breezy in your sources.list with Dapper, then apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade.

As with all beta software, don't do this on a work machine, or anything that you don't mind dying! Having said that, I've only had a couple of problems and I have it on both dektop and laptop.

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Dapper will be released as 'complete' in April, however you can download the beta version now. You can either do a full reinstall by downloading an iso (I think the newest major build is Flight 4, however new updates come out every day), or you can replace all instances of Breezy in your sources.list with Dapper, then apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade.

As with all beta software, don't do this on a work machine, or anything that you don't mind dying! Having said that, I've only had a couple of problems and I have it on both dektop and laptop.
I think I'll be patient and wait. April isn't too far away.

mstlyevil
February 25th, 2006, 05:16 AM
I think I'll be patient and wait. April isn't too far away.

If you can spare 5 gigs on your hard drive you could dual boot Breezy and Dapper so you can play with XGL/Compiz. I took 10 Gigs on my hard drive and put Dapper on it to play with myself and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

YourSurrogateGod
February 25th, 2006, 05:18 AM
If you can spare 5 gigs on your hard drive you could dual boot Breezy and Dapper so you can play with XGL/Compiz. I took 10 Gigs on my hard drive and put Dapper on it to play with myself and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope, can't. The current space is eaten up by Breezy and XP. But thanks for the suggestion.

Iandefor
February 25th, 2006, 05:19 AM
If you can spare 5 gigs on your hard drive you could dual boot Breezy and Dapper so you can play with XGL/Compiz. I took 10 Gigs on my hard drive and put Dapper on it to play with myself and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I plan on doing that :-D.