PDA

View Full Version : Rage against the Machine Christmas campaign?

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hi all.

One facebook user has set up a page dedicated to keeping Simon Cowell's X-Factor off the uk christmas number one spot.

The page is asking people to buy Rage Against the Machine's 'killing in the name of' in the next week.

This is an awesome song but too dark for Christmas.
Christmas should have happy, funny songs.

My question is:
If you could set up a similar page what song would you ask people to buy?

To combat simon cowell and his x-factor
I Think The Darkness' Christmas Time (don't let the bells end) would be more apt.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 12:42 PM
i think the whole idea is stupid.

suitedaces
December 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Better call it off then.

madnessjack
December 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm all for it
http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Rage-Factor/223476861258?ref=ts

just buy that though, more chance of it winning :)

forrestcupp
December 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'd rather pay for Simon Cowell's X-Factor.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
those facebook "campaigns" never really go anywhere anyway. same as those online petitions. waste of time.

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
i think the whole idea is stupid.

I dont know if i would go as far to call it stupid.
X-factor has had four of the previous christmas number 1's.
For the life of me I cant recall who sung them.

Simon Cowell has a skill for mass producing mediocrity.
They're not bad Its just I've seen more memorable karaoke singers

This is why I believe this IS a good idea to keep X-Factor off number 1. just 'killin in the name of' is not the best song. christmas is for children.

A person can be Intelligent and well informed
people are thick.

gnomeuser
December 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM
While I am all in favor of removing the heinous crime that is talent shows from Christmas, TV and existence as a whole.. I already own all their cds.

Another thing that icks me is that rather than actually carrying a message, the group seems about selling t-shirts.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
well, anything "#1" is generally tailored towards the general public, which is mostly comprised of morons. if this X factor crap is #1, well, so be it.

antyhing "rage" wouldn't fit in for christmas anyway and i don't think that "the darkness" would be any better. that's a rubbish group.

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM
yeah but all the proceeds from the t-shirts go to shelter (a homeless charity). A good cause.

D'you think Simon Cowell will be giving money to charity this christmas. I doubt it.

He'll probably be kicking puppies this christmas
(for legal reasons Simon Cowell does not kick puppies)

I would pledge to buy this song every week forever if it would keep crap music from the number 1 spot.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
i have no idea what cowell does with his money, but then again, people don't realize what bill's done/does with his either.

SuperSonic4
December 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
The Darkness' Christmas Song is actually pretty good though. It will never work though, I mean look what happened to the campaign to get Rick Astley to number 1 last year[at the height of the rick roll]

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
well, anything "#1" is generally tailored towards the general public, which is mostly comprised of morons. if this X factor crap is #1, well, so be it.

antyhing "rage" wouldn't fit in for christmas anyway and i don't think that "the darkness" would be any better. that's a rubbish group.

Totally agree: RAGE isn't a christmas kind of band.

And my choice of song had more to do with the lyrics, not whether it was good or not.
I was implying that Simon Cowell is a bells end. too subtle?

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM
oh, i thought it was common knowledge that he's a tosser. maybe not?

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Its as common as he is.

forrestcupp
December 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM
D'you think Simon Cowell will be giving money to charity this christmas. I doubt it.

He'll probably be kicking puppies this christmas
(for legal reasons Simon Cowell does not kick puppies)

Simon Cowell is actually involved in at least 4 different charities. He also has dedicated $180 million in his will for charities. He has been very involved with Idol Gives Back.

I agree that the guy is an arrogant jerk, but it's not fair to say that he's not charitable. I guarantee that he has been able to give a lot more money to charity than Rage has.

I do enjoy your disclaimers, though. :)

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Simon Cowell is actually involved in at least 4 different charities. He also has dedicated $180 million in his will for charities. He has been very involved with Idol Gives Back.

I agree that the guy is an arrogant jerk, but it's not fair to say that he's not charitable. I guarantee that he has been able to give a lot more money to charity than Rage has.

I do enjoy your disclaimers, though. :)

good to know about those charities. thanks cup.

madnessjack
December 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah RATM ain't a good song for Crimbo, but it's not about that.

People wanna make a stand for what they believe in.

IMO Darkness would be an amazing choone to try and get to #1, it made me sick when it only got #2. But the ball has already started rolling (no matter how small a roll it is) so it makes sense to join this campaign if you share those beliefs.

Don't over analyse it either folks.

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM
The Darkness is still around? I figured they'd have high-tailed it after the massively stupid (excuse me while I place my testicles in a vise-grip to do this) "I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE".

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM
The Facebook Group are actually independent from RAGE. they have no ties to rage at all, apart from being massive fans of course.

I just think these are both good causes. Giving money to charity and keeping x-factor of the 1 spot, but I do know that a lot of people like the x-factor.

You mentioned that Simon Cowell gives a lot of money to charity. how do you know this? is it tax deductable?
Again why do you know this?
You know this because his office told the press and the press told you so.

charitable donations make the average person think he is "nice".
If they think he is "nice" they will buy his records regardless of who is on them and regardless of how good they are.

I like to buy music because the artist is talented, not because some psychologist mindf~ked me.

madnessjack
December 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The Darkness is still around? I figured they'd have high-tailed it after the massively stupid (excuse me while I place my testicles in a vise-grip to do this) "I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE".
No they're not. The lead singer did one and the rest of the band carried on. But now they look like they take themselves seriously, so it doesn't work. The Darkness were damn good, but they were also as cheesy as hell. Because it appeared fairly tongue in cheek, people loved it. I certainly did.

madnessjack
December 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I like to buy music because the artist is talented, not because some psychologist mindf~ked me.
Ironically I don't give a flying fsck where the "sounds" come from. If it sounds good and I like it that's all I care about. Can't be doing with musical snobbery to be honest.

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah RATM ain't a good song for Crimbo, but it's not about that.

People wanna make a stand for what they believe in.

IMO Darkness would be an amazing choone to try and get to #1, it made me sick when it only got #2. But the ball has already started rolling (no matter how small a roll it is) so it makes sense to join this campaign if you share those beliefs.

Don't over analyse it either folks.

Yeah but the ball has'nt started to roll yet because the count starts on sunday.

'I will be buying killing in the name of' for charity
and there will always be next christmas

but
What songs would you choose if you could?

SuperSonic4
December 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Ironically I don't give a flying fsck where the "sounds" come from. If it sounds good and I like it that's all I care about. Can't be doing with musical snobbery to be honest.

I would'nt go as far to call myself a musical snob.
I mean I won't be rocking out to George Handel anytime soon.

But the song has to be good. And to be honest I cant even remember any of the x-factor songs,
but I can remember a Darkness' song from years ago. Good songs are memorable.

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues

good song.

it would'nt do too well in the uk though.

SuperSonic4
December 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM
good song.

No good song does - hence the xfactor being number 1

madnessjack
December 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I would'nt go as far to call myself a musical snob.
Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that! (Unless you could take it as a compliment :P)

good song.

I'm English and I love it. The Pogues is one of my favorite Chistmas songs :)

Xbehave
December 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Christmas no1 needs ~1million sales, so if the facebook group is any indicator (500k) it would require everybody to buy 2 copies (unfortunately i doubt everybody will, so closer to 20 each will be needed). Does anybody know if you can cheat and get Americans to buy online to count towards the UK music chart.

I'm English and I love it. The Pogues is one of my favorite Chistmas songs :)
Agreed, this is my favorite Christmas song.

Berk
December 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Personally I've been singing this song at Christmas for the last few years: NSFW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1bWAmZ4Pes NSFW strong language and all that.
Working in retail I needed something to get me through Christmas time.

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
didn't you know that Simon Cowell is the king of the beavers

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Owls/

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Alternatively, I don't like to buy music because it's chic to like the artist simply because he's edgy and against everything else.

I happen to like Tom Morello though, and think he's quite simply the most talented guitarist of our time.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 05:03 PM
The Facebook Group are actually independent from RAGE. they have no ties to rage at all, apart from being massive fans of course.

I just think these are both good causes. Giving money to charity and keeping x-factor of the 1 spot, but I do know that a lot of people like the x-factor.

You mentioned that Simon Cowell gives a lot of money to charity. how do you know this? is it tax deductable?

If they think he is "nice" they will buy his records regardless of who is on them and regardless of how good they are.

charity help is charity help.

Exodist
December 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hi all.

One facebook user has set up a page dedicated to keeping Simon Cowell's X-Factor off the uk christmas number one spot.

The page is asking people to buy Rage Against the Machine's 'killing in the name of' in the next week.

This is an awesome song but too dark for Christmas.
Christmas should have happy, funny songs.

My question is:
If you could set up a similar page what song would you ask people to buy?

To combat simon cowell and his x-factor
I Think The Darkness' Christmas Time (don't let the bells end) would be more apt.

Not sure how buying a CD would help rid us of another useless reality show. I liked Rage back in the day tho.

PaulReaver
December 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I don't think that buying a cd would get rid of X-Factor anyway. People like it, it keeps them amuzed.

But also a lot of people have a dislike for Simon Cowell.
I did'nt mind the man up until the point where he put out deflametory statements about the facebook group. Come on Simon its for charity...

But if you go on the facebook page you can buy t-shirts to support the cause and the proceeds of which go to shelter (a homeless charity).

Does it really matter who gets to number 1?

Which all time classic song would you like to see as a Christmas number 1.

cascade9
December 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
oh, i thought it was common knowledge that he's a tosser. maybe not?

LOL.

I'm not a fan of Cowell or Rage Against The Machine, but given a choice between the two I would take Rage. Throw in a 'icepick to the eardrums' option and things get tougher....

Which all time classic song would you like to see as a Christmas number 1.

Depeche Mode- Enjoy The Silence.

Gawds only know I'd love to enjoy that in shopping centres (Depeche mode, OR silence) at christmas time rather than the piped x-mas horror music.

forrestcupp
December 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM

If they think he is "nice" they will buy his records regardless of who is on them and regardless of how good they are.On the other hand, how do you know that what you're supporting is really going to charity? Is it because they told the media and the media told you? Is it because they told you. Maybe they're lying. Did you check their tax forms?

Come on. Of course Simon Cowell supports charities. All famous rich people do in some form or another. And do you think that the people who were helped by his charity money give a flying flip whether he is "nice" or not? They just care that they were helped.

Why do you have such a complex over Simon Cowell? It seems kind of unhealthy to me.

And you really think Rage Against the Machine is that talented? They're just wannabe Beastie Boys, who aren't good either. But that's just my opinion, like it's some people's opinions that X-Factor music is good.

madnessjack
December 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
And you really think Rage Against the Machine is that talented? They're just wannabe Beastie Boys, who aren't good either. But that's just my opinion, like it's some people's opinions that X-Factor music is good.
](*,)
Not the point. Cowell hijacked Christmas number one just because it's the most profitable time of year. I mean bloody hell, hats off to him for doing it, but let us alternate folk enjoy a bit of publicity eh?

forrestcupp
December 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
](*,)
Not the point. Cowell hijacked Christmas number one just because it's the most profitable time of year. I mean bloody hell, hats off to him for doing it, but let us alternate folk enjoy a bit of publicity eh?

It was the point of the person I was quoting.

But hey, I'm all for unseating Cowell because of the fact that he's using Christmas. But let's be honest; RATM isn't the one that's going to get it done.

nmccrina
December 12th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Or you could just not care which song is #1. Srsly.

I learned about the time I started listening to "popular music" as opposed to "classical music" that the charts had about zilch to do with music I actually liked. To this day, I don't understand how a song like "Lazarus" by Porcupine Tree fails to be more popular than all this R&B crap on the charts, but did I go out and buy 20 copies of the song to try and make it have a chart impact? No, I bought one copy of the CD, said fsck you to Billboard, and enjoyed my music. :)

madnessjack
December 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Hey guys!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8413557.stm

This campaign is actually working! Who'd have thunk it :P

I for one am amazed. X-factor is huge (20 mil views on Sunday) so for what is essentially a Twitter/Facebook campaign to beat it is astonishing.

Kazade
December 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
It'll be funny if Rage do beat Xfactor - but as both acts are signed to Sony BMG, I won't be supporting either of them.

Tristam Green
December 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I know that nothing says "peace on earth and goodwill towards men" like a song called "Killing in the Name of".

FOR REALS, BRO.

heyho
December 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I know that nothing says "peace on earth and goodwill towards men" like a song called "Killing in the Name of".

FOR REALS, BRO.

Maybe you should look into the meaning of the song/lyrics.

RATM have some messages worth listening to, which are more relevant now than ever.

Facebook appear to have pulled the group unfortunately, but I've purchased my copy. Respect to Tom Morello.

http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine/48901

SuperSonic4
December 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Maybe you should look into the meaning of the song/lyrics.

RATM have some messages worth listening to, which are more relevant now than ever.

Facebook appear to have pulled the group unfortunately, but I've purchased my copy. Respect to Tom Morello.

http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine/48901

It tells you that should do what you think is right - not what you're told to do....

The irony is not lost...

Xbehave
December 16th, 2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37655682127
this why it's important to keep backups

Q: So how do we do this then?
A: Take your pick(s) of the digital providers below. It should take you to the page where you can purchase your copy of KILLING IN THE NAME. in most cases it's track#2 but check before you click!

DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT 6 OR 7 TIMES...IT'LL JUST GET ANNULLED IN THE CHART.

7DIGITAL - £1.19P - track #2
http://bit.ly/ratm-7digital

AMAZON - 29p - yes it will count
htpp://http://bit.ly/rage-amazon

TUNETRIBE - 49P - track #2 - LIVE version (yes it counts)
http://bit.ly/ratm-tunetribe

TESCO DIGITAL - 67p - track #2
http://bit.ly/ratm-tesco

HMV.COM - 79p (careful - this is track #1)
http://hmv.com/hmvweb
http://bit.ly/ratm-hmv

PLAY.COM - 70p - it's the only track on the page
http://bit.ly/ratm-play

WE7 - £1.07p - track #2
http://bit.ly/ratm-we7

iTUNES - 99p - track #2
http://bit.ly/ratm-itunes

It tells you that should do what you think is right - not what you're told to do....

The irony is not lost...
Who says people are buying it because they were told to, I'm buying it because RATM as xmass no1 would be legen...

SuperSonic4
December 16th, 2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37655682127
this why it's important to keep backups

Who says people are buying it because they were told to, I'm buying it because RATM as xmass no1 would be legen...

There are many better songs out there (although obviously subjective), I think it's safe to say it's not the best song. It's only the lesser of two evils - besides the chart company will just fix it like they did with the Sex Pistols

LinuxFanBoi
December 16th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hi all.

Would it help the cause if I just download it illegally?

Xbehave
December 16th, 2009, 11:52 PM
....dery

There are many better songs out there (although obviously subjective), I think it's safe to say it's not the best song.
It is defiantly one of the best songs of all time
Rolling Stone lists "Killing in the Name" as the 24th in its 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time.
It was voted at number #2 in the Hottest 100 of all time countdown poll, conducted by Australian radio station, Triple J. More than half a million votes were cast in
So while it's not my personal favorite, I do not think it's safe to say it's not the best song.
It has musical brilliance and originality, along with raw emotion and while it's lyrics are not the most insightful they are not totally meaningless ( hell there is an academic papper on them http://www.albany.edu/scj/jcjpc/vol9is3/finley.html )

Is it, no but i would argue that it is up there in the shortlist of potential best songs

It's only the lesser of two evils - besides the chart company will just fix it like they did with the Sex Pistols
The sex pistols was more to do with the fact the song was against the queen, so i doubt that RATM will be pulled.

heyho
December 17th, 2009, 10:59 PM

The irony is not lost...

Well, I am doing what I think is right...

I do think that far too much is being read into this than is necessary. It's a bit of fun, and 2 fingers at Cowell. If people think it will change the world, they should think again.

Is it a great song? In my opinion, yes, but that's subjective is it not? The fact is, it's the right song. It has people talking, and has injected a little interest into the now mundane business that is the UK music charts.

The 5live debacle this morning was just an added bonus.

murderslastcrow
December 17th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I think Rage Against the Machine would be perfect for reminding people to respect other cultures and notice people in oppression throughout the world, not just enjoy their Christmas ham.

SuperSonic4
December 20th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Rage have done it! Up yours Simon I want to destroy music with boring drivel Cowell

heyho
December 20th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Awesome win!

Now to choose a song for next year...

graabein
December 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Merry Christmas everybody!!

:guitar:

SuperSonic4
December 20th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Awesome win!

Angel of Death ~ Slayer

The first line would be amusing to hear on respectable radio stations: Auschwitz, the meaning of pain - the way that I want you to die

Shpongle
December 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM
brilliant , now if we could only do the same for the governments!!

Xbehave
December 20th, 2009, 11:57 PM
brilliant , now if we could only do the same for the governments!!
but there was a good choice for a song.

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 21st, 2009, 12:05 AM
Wow Xmas has come early :guitar:

PhoenixMaster00
December 21st, 2009, 12:36 AM
I think its safe to say the true winners of this are Sony BMG who own Joes cover of The Climb and Rage Against The Machines song.

Joeb454
December 21st, 2009, 12:38 AM
Awesome win!

Enter Sandman?

markp1989
December 21st, 2009, 12:40 AM
this for next year :)

Steel Panther - Sexy Santa 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdB_CM2LxCw

btw NSFW

majabl
December 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
Awesome win!

How about, shock horror, a Christmas song? You know, for the Christmas number-one position....

I'd go for 'Fairytale of New York', because loads of people love it and it never made number one when it was first released.

LiamWilson
December 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM
For next year, I'd say either The Darkness' Christmas Time, Hot Leg's I met Jesus, or the Beatles' Everywhere It's Christmas!

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM
lol, ouch

majabl
December 21st, 2009, 01:04 AM
For next year, I'd say either The Darkness' Christmas Time

Another fine song kept from the Christmas number-one slot by an unChristmassy song ('Mad World' as performed by Gary Jules).

pwnst*r
December 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Slayer - Jesus Saves

RabbitWho
December 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
They re-released Killing in the name of? Why?

Mad World was very Christmassy I thought.

Fairy Tale of New York is my favorite.. and I recently noticed how awesome the lyrics to "I beleive in father christmas" are.

Xbehave
December 21st, 2009, 01:14 AM
I don't think you could find a song that has such a broad appeal to the kind of people that got behind this movement. However if the same thing happened again it would have to still
1) be anti-establishment
2) be unchristmassy (where is the fun in cluttering the airwaves with more christmassy crap)
3) Appeal to the teenage+young adult age range (old people can't use teh internets enough)

NWA-**** da police

Alternatively you could just tap into 4chan metality and rickroll everybody

However the ultimate FU to the music industry would be to get a creative-commons licensed song to no1 (while simultaneously offering a free download and a paid for version (paid for version and the mandatory 40p))

They re-released Killing in the name of?
No re release just a lot of digital sales.

alakazam
December 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM
This for next yaaar :lolflag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

handy
December 21st, 2009, 02:06 AM
"Freedom" performed by Richie Havens

madnessjack
December 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
It has to be The Darkness. Broke my heart when that didn't get number 1

heyho
December 23rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
I think its safe to say the true winners of this are Sony BMG who own Joes cover of The Climb and Rage Against The Machines song.

When will people realise that this is not the point? Rage have already released 3 multi-platinum albums on the sony label, so this is a non-issue!

It was 2 fingers up at Cowell and his machine. Nothing more, nothing less.

I still can't belive it worked.:P

Kazade
December 23rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
When will people realise that this is not the point? Rage have already released 3 multi-platinum albums on the sony label, so this is a non-issue!

It was 2 fingers up at Cowell and his machine. Nothing more, nothing less.

I still can't belive it worked.:P

Seeing as this is the UK, where the BPI including Sony are lobbying the government to force 3 strikes laws upon us - it matters.

Also, it's not unlikely that Sony has been involved* behind the scenes in the whole Christmas number 1 race - it's possible that you've all been played. I don't see Sony donating any of their cut of this to charity, do you?

*Further reading: http://www.thesargeants.net/dblog/articolo.asp?articolo=264

madnessjack
December 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Seeing as this is the UK, where the BPI including Sony are lobbying the government to force 3 strikes laws upon us - it matters.

Also, it's not unlikely that Sony has been involved* behind the scenes in the whole Christmas number 1 race - it's possible that you've all been played. I don't see Sony donating any of their cut of this to charity, do you?

I don't think he was on about politics. It's a bit of fun. It's also impressive.

Xbehave
December 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM

meh i saw somebody suggest something i thought was a good idea and supported that idea, i don't really care who had the idea originally. Now appernly we convinced some of the mindless masses to follow us, however speaking for myself and most of my friends I made up my own mind to buy the single and donate to shelter, because both were good ideas.