December 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM
^ What he said
|

LookTJ
December 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The holes on paper is barely noticeable if you look closely. :P

Ylon
December 11th, 2009, 02:09 PM
But all these tiny circles will cost more CPU power absorption.. thus more powerline energy.

:P <- yes, this icon is also cost energy power from your machine.

click here (http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/) to be a real Nature Consumption b*rd.

Psumi
December 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM
You have to PAY for it? What a lark.

fatality_uk
December 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
This was out about 2 years ago and I thought it was a silly idea then too. Just don't print as much!!!

alphaniner
December 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I don't put much stock in go-green-goonery, but this doesn't seem like such a crazy thing. I'll take silly innovation over 'just use less' bromides any day.

benj1
December 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
You have to PAY for it? What a lark.
no you don't, its free

i for one think its a good idea, sure printing less is best, but if you have to print, using less material is a good thing

juancarlospaco
December 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I like the holes

red_Marvin
December 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Or you can use the economy mode of the printer and use any font...

LowSky
December 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Dont use a printer at all. In the computer age we actually use more paper than we did before them.

save some trees.

Exodist
December 11th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Interesting concept. Physically it should help the higher the printer resolution. But not sure it would help any better then just choosing DRAFT setting for most printing.

chris200x9
December 11th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I like the holes

best quote ever

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Dont use a printer at all. In the computer age we actually use more paper than we did before them.

save some trees.

Don't know much about the paper industry, do you?

Genetically engineered trees (which are trees nonetheless, so they still pump out oxygen) that are designed to grow faster, straighter, and with less branches, that are filed in gridlike forests that are cut down systematically (not clear-cut).

By-products of the pulp are used for items like fluff paper (tissues, diapers, toilet paper, and feminine products).

Many modern and upfitted papermills use some of the excess to fuel their own power stations. As a matter of fact, some paper mills (for instance, the International Paper mill in Georgetown, SC) sell some of the energy back to the town, running as a standalone power plant.

Sustainable, renewable.

NoaHall
December 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I don't understand why people use printers so much.

benj1
December 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Genetically engineered trees (which are trees nonetheless, so they still pump out oxygen) that are designed to grow faster, straighter, and with less branches, that are filed in gridlike forests that are cut down systematically (not clear-cut).

don't you mean selectively bred? GM trees probably do exist but probably in the evaluation stage, or at least not old enough to start being felled.

any while i agree that trees can produce clean energy etc, there is still a carbon cost to producing paper, so the less used, the better.

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2009, 05:31 PM
don't you mean selectively bred? GM trees probably do exist but probably in the evaluation stage, or at least not old enough to start being felled.

Correct. My apologies. I don't work in the labs, lol.

any while i agree that trees can produce clean energy etc, there is still a carbon cost to producing paper, so the less used, the better.

There's a carbon cost to flatulence too, but we don't walk around with plugs where the sun doesn't shine :lolflag:

alphaniner
December 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM
There's a carbon cost to flatulence too, but we don't walk around with plugs where the sun doesn't shine

Methane cuts targeted by groups in climate fight (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/reuters/2009/12/11/2009-12-11T120310Z_01_GEE5BA0S7_RTRIDST_0_CLIMATE-COPENHAGEN-METHANE.html)

Sporkman
December 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1019586

:P

benj1
December 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Correct. My apologies. I don't work in the labs, lol.

There's a carbon cost to flatulence too, but we don't walk around with plugs where the sun doesn't shine :lolflag:

well maybe at the weekend ;)

Skripka
December 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Interesting concept. Physically it should help the higher the printer resolution. But not sure it would help any better then just choosing DRAFT setting for most printing.

I'm skeptical it would save anything noticeable on ink consumption

Rainstride
December 11th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Or you can use the economy mode of the printer and use any font...
+1, thats what i do.

save some trees.
not everything can be digital sadly. the average user doesn't regularly backup data. and companies need physical copies for legal stuff. so they print up important papers. also, there is printing photos.

most of the foods you eat are genetically modified. there is little that is not GM'd nowadays. hell most of the beef you eat is cloned. so the idea of GM'd tree, isn't all that far fetched.

I'm skeptical it would save anything noticeable on ink consumption
your probably right. you would be much better off with draft/economy mode.

Tristam Green
December 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
most of the foods you eat are genetically modified. there is little that is not GM'd nowadays. hell most of the beef you eat is cloned. so the idea of GM'd tree, isn't all that far fetched.

The trees have been selectively bred to grow with fewer branches, but further genetic modifications have gone into them to grow much faster (five years to maturity, rather than ten to fifteen).

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 09:20 PM
most of the beef you eat is cloned.

Source please.

Rainstride
December 11th, 2009, 10:33 PM
The trees have been selectively bred to grow with fewer branches, but further genetic modifications have gone into them to grow much faster (five years to maturity, rather than ten to fifteen).
not a bad increase in growth speed.

Source please.
the science channel? they had a special a while back where they talked to a guy who had nothing but cloned beef and he had about 20-40 bulls in the front of his place alone, and he was small time. the FDA officially approved cloned food a year or so ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5eUkNynPPc. i forget the name of that special....:-k if i think of it ill post it.

juancarlospaco
December 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Source please.

most of the Source you read is cloned.

benj1
December 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM
the science channel? they had a special a while back where they talked to a guy who had nothing but cloned beef and he had about 20-40 bulls in the front of his place alone, and he was small time. the FDA officially approved cloned food a year or so ago. [url] i forget the name of that special....:-k if i think of it ill post it.

that video it self says beef isn't yet cloned (for retail), and the clones are unlikely to be eaten directly, more probably for breeding (prize bulls are worth a lot of money, hell the semen is worth $1000s/litre)
plus its probably anticipatory this wikipedia list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_that_have_been_cloned#Cattle suggests the industry (if any) is still very young.