PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't upgrade because I can't remove 'brscan'

cetandi
December 11th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Hi I am reasonably new and i can't figure out how to paste here so can someone read this attachment and help me because I can't upgrade to the next version (i have 8.04)
Thanks!!

gspat
December 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I've been trying to upgrade from 8.04 to the next version ...

AND I get message “partial upgrade only”, so I try the partial upgrade and nothing happens, for example the screen that says it's performing the partial upgrade, disappears.
I can't remember the process I went through, but through searching forums and trying things out in the terminal, I found out that the problem is a file called brscan (brother printer drivers I believe) and when I tried to get rid of the little devil in package manager I get “ E: brscan: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1”

Upon further reading I tried this command sudo apt-get purge brscan

and here's the latest:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libswfdec-0.6-90 libmono-peapi2.0-cil libncursesw5-dev
libboost-date-time1.34.1 libnss3-dev libnspr4-dev libestools1.2
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
brscan
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 82 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

I at a loss...could someone help....Thank you

P.S. I'd also like to know if I have to upgrade to the latest version by upgrading all the upgrades chronologically, or if I can skip something, and get there easier

hi.. I pasted your file in so it's easier to get at...

the error you showed simply means you have more than 1 package manager running (either through the terminal or in seperate windows) you can only have 1 open, period. the package removal should work then.

cetandi
December 19th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hey thanks...I have no idea how I had two running but I just tried again out of synaptic package manager, and after marking for complete removal, I get:

E: brscan: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1

therefore I am still stumped....:confused:

cetandi
December 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Btw I just recieved a message from Brother support, and this is what happened when I tried to un install brscan
cetandi@cetandi-desktop:~$ dpkg -P brscan
dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
cetandi@cetandi-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -P brscan
[sudo] password for cetandi:
(Reading database ... 187266 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing brscan ...
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/BHL': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/BHL2': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/BHL2FB': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/BHLFB': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/BHMFB': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/BHminiFB': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/YL4': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/YL4FB': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/ZL2': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/ZL2FB': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/ZLe': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/ZLeFB': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData': No such file or directory
rmdir: failed to remove `/usr/local/Brother/sane': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing brscan (--purge):
subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
brscan

signed:
still stumped

davel1232
May 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM
I had the same issue. I found that the file path being used for removal did not match the actual location of th Brother files. They were in: /usr/Brother/...
I moved the entire "Brother" file to /usr/local/Brother and then I was able to remove the brscan files and upgrade.

dave@dave-laptop:~$ sudo mv /usr/Brother /usr/local/Brother
dave@dave-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install -f

this removed brscan.
I was able to complete the upgrade.
hope this helps.

thomasw81
May 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Good fix. I had the same problem with brscan, but no files whatsoever in /usr/local. So synaptic could not remove the package. I created the /usr/local/Brother and /usr/local/Brother/sane directory and was able to remove brscan with synaptic.

violin.yanev
November 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Sounds like a poorly written Brother driver for linux to me...