PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia drivers just won't install.

roker
December 11th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I'm dual booting xp and karmic on my pc atm and have recently installed karmic.
my issue is that whenever i go into hardware drivers and attempt to install the nvidia drivers for my 9500 regardless of what drivers i attempt to install (version 173 and version 185) the installing window will automatically jump to quarter way done and then hang there doing nothing, my experiences with installing things into linux would normally lead me to believe that because its below 50% its downloading, however my connection is stable and installing anything using the synaptic package manager or the ubuntu software center is a breeze.

spcwingo
December 11th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Have you tried envyng?

roker
December 11th, 2009, 04:28 AM
never knew it existed, i apt-got it and ran it in text mode and attempted to install 185
it started at 50% downloaded and spammed the console with this

[===================================50.0% ]result could not be parsed
Error in function pulse
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/Envy/packagemanager.py", line 76, in pulse
self.newObject.updateUi(percent)
File "interface.py", line 65, in updateUi
numHashes = int(round(numHashes))
TypeError: an integer is required

spcwingo
December 11th, 2009, 04:35 AM
never knew it existed, i apt-got it and ran it in text mode and attempted to install 185
it started at 50% downloaded and spammed the console with this

[===================================50.0% ]result could not be parsed
Error in function pulse
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/Envy/packagemanager.py", line 76, in pulse
numHashes = int(round(numHashes))
TypeError: an integer is required

Sorry, I don't have that script on my install (I'm still on Hardy), so I have no point of reference...BTW, when you say that you ran it from text mode do you mean that you dropped to the console or ran it in a terminal emulator?

roker
December 11th, 2009, 04:38 AM
BTW, when you say that you ran it from text mode do you mean that you dropped to the console or ran it in a terminal emulator?

uh I opened up the terminal and typed envyng -t then popped in the relevent numbers when it displayed options in the terminal.

presence1960
December 11th, 2009, 04:39 AM
When you installed envyng did you install all 3 packages? They are:

envyng-core
envyng-qt
envyng-gtk

Once all 3 are installed open a terminal and run envyng -t

spcwingo
December 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM
uh I opened up the terminal and typed envyng -t then popped in the relevent numbers when it displayed options in the terminal.

What I would do is hold CTRL+ALT then press F1. This will drop you to the console. From there log in and run these commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

followed by envyng -t

Then just follow the on-screen instructions. I never could get the driver installed through "Hardware Drivers" to work either, but in my case I did just as I described above and they are working perfectly now. I truly hope it works for you too.

roker
December 11th, 2009, 05:07 AM
well I followed both of your instructions and to no avail it still supplied me with the same error message and the download still started at 50% (in console that is). :(

I'm starting to think karmic doesn't like me very much.

spcwingo
December 12th, 2009, 12:38 AM
You can try to reinstall envyng b/c it sounds like there is something wrong with the python script "packagemanager.py". To do that just run this command:

sudo apt-get remove --purge envyng-core && sudo apt-get install envyng-core

streetfi8er
January 6th, 2010, 02:23 PM
i too am facing exactly the same problem , but in my case, enving is hanging at 62.5% , anyone with a solution???:confused:

CaptConan
January 20th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I have a similar problem except I have an ATI card. After hearing that Envyng could handle all my graphics drivers I jumped at the chance. I had originally installed the linux drivers right from ATI's website, but moving windows around on the desktop became very choppy, as if there were no drivers installed at all. SO i used Envyng to uninstall those ATI drivers and then tried to install the new drivers using envyng. From the gui version, it sits at 50% progress bar and does nothing. From console, I get the same error as above: Traceback (most recent call last):

I tried to reinstall the python script, to no avail. What is going on here?

Krovas
April 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I have a similar problem except I have an ATI card. After hearing that Envyng could handle all my graphics drivers I jumped at the chance. I had originally installed the linux drivers right from ATI's website, but moving windows around on the desktop became very choppy, as if there were no drivers installed at all. SO i used Envyng to uninstall those ATI drivers and then tried to install the new drivers using envyng. From the gui version, it sits at 50% progress bar and does nothing. From console, I get the same error as above: Traceback (most recent call last):

I tried to reinstall the python script, to no avail. What is going on here?

A big fat pain in the ***. Count me in as another accelerated-graphics-challenged Karmic user.

cryptotheslow
April 17th, 2010, 06:47 PM
For my NVidia GTS 250 on karmic I downloaded the v190.53 driver from the NVidia site. (There is a newer v195.36.15, but I haven't tried it yet).

Switch to a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) - login then stop gdm, run the downloaded installer with sudo sh, start gdm before switching back to it (Ctrl-Alt-F7). You may need to run the nvidia-xconfig utility from a terminal prompt to update your xorg.conf settings.