PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Serious issues while trying to install on my laptop...

Kortal
December 11th, 2009, 03:18 AM
First some information: My laptop was purchased about 8 months ago. It is an Asus that has 64 bit vista as the default OS. 4 Gigs of ram. 2.0 GHZ dual core processor. GeForce 9300.
Ok, I got a Ubuntu book for college that came with an installation disc, which doesn't work. I've made a number of attempts to install, getting different errors almost every time.
Attempt 1: Used the built in partitionr, 4 hours later it says the partition is finished and tries to install, at about 35% the screen goes blank, then I get hundreds of "changed media on busy inode" error messages, after this I can't boot at all and have to reinstall windows
Attempt 2: I partition a different way, and try to install to it...it gets to about 50% when I get a black screen with errors and a bright red "FAIL". Windows still boots.
Attempt 3: I burn a new disc, thinking it may be the disc itself, same method as attempt 1, and get the busy inode errors again Attempt 4: I burn a newer version (have been using 8.4 until now) I drag the thing do be about 50% vista 50% Ubuntu...it starts the partition, then my screen goes blank, laptop continues to do something with the disc...can't get my screen back on...4 hours later I do a forced shut down because I was going to sleep
Attempt 5: Tried a full hard drive install with the 9.10 version...starts installing then gives an error that I don't quite remember Attempt 6: Downloaded the installer. Upon launching it says Ubuntu already exists and must be uninstalled. After that, it starts downloading the torrent, at 100% it gives an error that the directory doesn't exist and closes itself.
I'd really like to get this on my laptop, preferably as a dual-boot...in serious need of help

Kortal
December 11th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Ok just tried again, using the 9.10 partition slide bar on the installation screen. And again, the screen turned off, but I can tell the laptop is doing something with the disc...is this normal?

xingewen
December 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM
If it took 4 hours to do the partition, I would assume that you have a problem with your Hard Drive.
Linux is more sensitive to hardware error than Windows that let error pass by then crash you whole system.

In your bios you may have an utility to scan your HDD for problem - start there.

Kortal
December 11th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Where would I find said utility to check my hard drive?