PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] partition/grub/multi boot help

jmcc2950
December 11th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Had Fedora 12 & win xp dual booting using grub in F12. Wanted to try Ubuntu 8.04 so loaded on 3rd drive sdc. Now when I reboot only shows Ubuntu & XP to boot into F12 disappeared. Can boot into rescue mode of F12 & looked at grub.conf but didn't see anything unusual. I guess my question is what did Ubuntu overwrite in F12 & is there something similar in Ubuntu taht I could modify to boot F12 located on hd1 (sdb)?
Thanks

louieb
December 11th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Take a look at the setup Boot Info Script: How to (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280)

Put the results.txt file in your next post - it will help in figuring it out.

raymondh
December 11th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Had Fedora 12 & win xp dual booting using grub in F12. Wanted to try Ubuntu 8.04 so loaded on 3rd drive sdc. Now when I reboot only shows Ubuntu & XP to boot into F12 disappeared. Can boot into rescue mode of F12 & looked at grub.conf but didn't see anything unusual. I guess my question is what did Ubuntu overwrite in F12 & is there something similar in Ubuntu taht I could modify to boot F12 located on hd1 (sdb)?
Thanks

When you installed hardy, GRUB was re-installed in the MBR of the 1st HD to boot in BIOS ..... unless you decided otherwise in step 7. I don't know why it failed to pick-up the fedora install.

You may try to chainload F12 in Ubuntu's boot/grub/menu.lst.

In ubuntu and thru the Terminal ...

cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup
This creates a back-up of your current menu.lst should anything go wrong whilst you edit.

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
To edit the menu.lst

The gyst of it will be

title Fedora
root (hdx,y)
chainloader +1

where X is the HD and y is the partition in said HD.

EDIT : the bootinfoscript will be of great help.

Regards,

jmcc2950
December 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the quick response, I did try to edit the menu.lst but I must of screwed up which partition to point to, I will mess around with that later. However went back to F12 rescue & went into grub & repaired grub.conf, so now I have F12 & XP back. Will try to add 3rd drive with Ubuntu later & try to mess around with F12 grub.conf to see if I can get all 3 OS's to work. Thanks again for your help.