PDA

View Full Version : Should we have local Ubuntu geek dinners

gnomeuser
December 11th, 2009, 12:57 AM
While this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8476323&postcount=50) started as a joke I've been thinking about something. In the Firefly community one of the more popular activities is the community dinners, you get to meet other local fans, get to known them, talk about things Firefly and not. You get to know people and create bonds over lovely food.

I propose that we set up a service like the geek dinner site does, call it a culinary addition to the LUG or the LoCo you might attend. 5-6 fellow Ubuntu users gathering around a neat meal once a month or so.

It would be a great venue for tossing around ideas, finding people to help you realize the potential of a given project. It would also be a good way to introduce new users, give them a base of people they can communicate with.

Little local gatherings, nothing like a conference or a hackfest with an extreme number of people. A couple of interesting people, meeting for a couple of hours.

I would happily doing the cooking for the first one near me, I just need a couple of fine local Ubuntu users to join me (and in turn then hold upcoming dinners).

xuCGC002
December 11th, 2009, 01:09 AM
LoCo Team dinners? That would be a good idea. We need a Snohomish County LoCo team, that'd be cool.

Frak
December 11th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Get more than 2 people to show up and you get a free cookie.

Simon17
December 11th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I'll come. Denmark is in Chicago, isn't it?

gnomeuser
December 11th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I'll come. Denmark is in Chicago, isn't it?

In the sense that there is a direct flight to Copenhagen.. but if you take that I will travel across my country to cook the dinner out of respect.

*edit*

Granted I would do most things to have an excuse to make stout ice cream with orange stout syrup and fruits again.

jazzybob
December 11th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Maybe at a beerfest. Geeks can be vary from intelligent to ranting lunacy - with egos beyond the true experience. The greater the beer intake, the more tolerance I have, because I don't care how much time I waste . . . hmmmm

forrestcupp
December 11th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Some of the LoCos are already doing this twice a year for their Ubuntu release parties.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 02:46 AM
haha ubuntu release parties. nerd-fest.

coffee>dinner.

pwnst*r
December 11th, 2009, 02:47 AM
eeeff uunnnnf

forrestcupp
December 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM
eeeff uunnnnf

What?

pwnst*r