PDA

View Full Version : Did you convert anyone to linux ?

pirlo89
December 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hello everyone !!!

I am a new user to linux (kubuntu), and i was wondering, did you convert anyone to linux ?

If so, how many did you convert? who converted you ? and whats the story behind it?

To me, it was my computer systems professor who convinced me of using linux (he kept saying how stupid windows is), so i tried it and now i absolutely adore it :P

So whats your story ?

SuperSonic4
December 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Nope, I've explained the pros and cons of linux compared to windows to people but I've let them choose

blur xc
December 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I got a friend of mine to switch to Ubuntu. He's a smart guy, but is not a computer hobbyist in any way, but is happily Ubuntu-ing along.

BM

doas777
December 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I've introduced a few mid-level techs to it successfully. it helped that they were my roommates so I was always on hand to provide support.

Techsnap
December 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
None, a few people over the years have wanted to switch to Linux on their own accord and have asked me some questions, I just point them to CentOS and some documentation.

Apart from that I don't try and convert people nor do I even show them Linux, it's pointless and it's just more time on the phone answering tech support questions.

mybodymyself
December 10th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Hi pirlo89,

I'm also a new user to linux (Ubuntu) and have yet to convert anyone to linux. Anyway, I'm with the other responders on this. I have suggested this an organization, but haven't heard back from them back, if I do I will share it with you guys. Have to say no one converted me to linux, but myself. Basically, I'm fed up with Windows and Apples are not even a option for me at this point. Plus, I'm somewhat comfortable using Apples. In the past I have tried to convert from Windows to linux (Suse), but in it was too much of a hassle, etc. Do hope that Ubuntu fits the bill and etc.

Techsnap
December 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM
So you suggested Ubuntu to a company but you're not actually using it yourself!?

mybodymyself
December 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
So you suggested Ubuntu to a company but you're not actually using it yourself!?

Yup because oops on forgetting about using it myself. I'm waiting free disc of it to come. In order to use because I had hard time with the live disc.

LowSky
December 10th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I've been using since 2006, and on the forums since 2007, Hopefuly my posts ahave helped keep some people using Ubuntu.

I have a friend who turns to Linux when he needs to test out hardware or partiition a hard drive. I have even got him to play with linux on older laptops and in VM, he still sticks to Windows, but respects the power of a Ubuntu or Knoppix LiveCD when he cant get a computer's hard drive to boot and the data needs to be saved.

LinuxFanBoi
December 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Hello everyone !!!

I am a new user to linux (kubuntu), and i was wondering, did you convert anyone to linux ?

If so, how many did you convert? who converted you ? and whats the story behind it?

To me, it was my computer systems professor who convinced me of using linux (he kept saying how stupid windows is), so i tried it and now i absolutely adore it :P

So whats your story ?

Yes, I converted a fellow student at a community college. We where given programming assignments and we had access to a Linux system via telnet at UIUC to use their compilers. He said, "I wish I could have these tools!" I grinned and told him to hold on a minute, popped in a blank CD-R and burned him a copy of Ubunutu, he's never looked back.

LowSky
December 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Yup because oops on forgetting about using it myself. I'm waiting free disc of it to come. In order to use because I had hard time with the live disc.

What problem did you have?

ticopelp
December 10th, 2009, 11:39 PM
No, I don't directly evangelize. A friend bought an Ubuntu netbook after seeing how happy I was with mine, but I think the interest was already there for him.

RabbitWho
December 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
From now on I'm only telling people that don't mind learning, and admit when they have a problem it's probably their fault and not the computers.

So that's almost no one.

mybodymyself
December 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM
What problem did you have?

Basically, had no problem with downloading or installing it. After that somehow had problems with. In my eyes I believe it was the live disc itself or the connection itself.

XubuRoxMySox
December 11th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I don't "evangelize," but at the dance studio we have this ollllld Win98 'puter that was super-slow. It's the "community computer" that all the kids can use in between dance classes to do homework on and whatever. I put a lean minimal Ubuntu/LXDE mixture on it and made it super-simple.

That old dinosaur screams! It's fast, it's pretty, and does everything. I've gotten compliments on how simple and fast it is for such an old machine, and that's when I simply mention that it's Linux.

Just doing that has won a few dancers and their families over from Windows, and I always have a copy of "Robin's Remix" or Xubuntu to share when people want to try it on their machines at home. One of the dancers wrote about it (here (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html)) and become a "Linux evangelist" herself.

-Robin

kpholmes
December 11th, 2009, 12:10 AM
yep 2 of my friends, 1 of them went back to windows though cause his ipod didnt work

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 12:12 AM
yep 2 of my friends, 1 of them went back to windows though cause his ipod didnt work

Tell him to come back it works just fine now.

pirlo89
December 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks all for sharing !

I am using "convert" in my title because it feels like a life changing decision for me, linux is better for me because it shows you more of whats happening in the computer. So it helps me more to broaden my knowledge about everything that has to do with computer science (hope to finish in 2 years :))

SuperSonic4
December 11th, 2009, 12:30 AM
You have to be careful with the word convert though because intonation plays a big part. With the stress on the O (as in ON) it implies evangalism and forcible efforts to force change.

Not stressing it (as in UN) implies a simple change

Zoot7
December 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I've my parents using Ubuntu. The logic was that they just use their machines for the internet and the internet alone, and are the typical types that don't want the hassle of Anti Virus apps etc.
All they really needed were icons for Firefox, and a few other apps on the desktop to switch over to it totally.

My sister also uses Ubuntu, mainly because her laptop got a virus under Vista that prevented it from booting about a month or so before her exams. When I flew over to visit her I didn't have a Vista Setup disk to repair the installation for her, so I temporarily gave her Ubuntu and told her that'd get her online for the meantime and she'd be able to view notes etc. and that I'd route out a Vista setup disk in the meantime and repair it for her the next time.
When I found the setup disk and offered to repair it for her, she said she didn't want it any more and that she was happy with Ubuntu. Sort of strange how that worked out.

A good few of my friends use Linux distors on my recommendation, (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackware) but the vast majority of them are Engineers and are thus technically competent when it comes to computing so it's not a "conversion" per se on my part.

AllRadioisDead
December 11th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Stop treating Ubuntu like it's a religious movement. It's an operating system, nothing more, nothing less.

tfultz33
December 11th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'm running debian 4 on a laptop and win xp on the desktop. Just ordered the free cd because my dial-up connects at 26.4kps.

Does anyone know where the free cds ship from? The site said it shipped on the 30th of nov.

I have a friend who will be installing also, when it arrives.

SuperSonic4
December 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I think they come from the Isle of Man

tfultz33
December 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Umbala Dumbala! Ubuntu! (bows):D

tfultz33
December 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
thanks

pirlo89
December 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Stop treating Ubuntu like it's a religious movement. It's an operating system, nothing more, nothing less.

im not treating it like its a religious movement, to tell you the truth , all i wanted is to hear stories from people who have changed to linux.
(i have a calculus midterm so i needed something to keep me away from studying :))

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 11th, 2009, 01:27 AM

HEHE, your not a born-again Ubuntuer?

:lolflag:

I don't try to convert people either.
If someone is curious about my system, I'll answer their questions.
If someone wants to try Linux, I'll help them get started.
If someone uses Microsoft, I will help them as best I can.

Simon17
December 11th, 2009, 01:42 AM
On weekends, I go door-to-door to talk to people about converting to GNU-slash-Linux with a group called Stallman's Witnesses.

AICollector
December 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Quite a few people, actually; my folk's computer is now running Linux Mint (simply because I wouldn't have to fiddle around with codecs and changing the menu to resemble a more Windows like environment)

I've converted a few Internet friends, one of whom is now actually writing for Linux.

And I've converted a couple of people at College, including a lovely lad who uses an electric wheelchair (so computers are really quite important to him)

Oppermongo
December 11th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I started using Ubuntu due to my studies, and I'm trying to convince my grandpa (!) to install it aswell.:lolflag:
Anyway, I'm a Ubuntu user as well as a Windows user and soon to be Mac user..:D
I think neither of them can be called the best, I simply use the best aspects out of each one...;)

mybodymyself
December 11th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Thanks all for sharing !

It feels like a life changing decision for me, linux is better for me because it shows you more of whats happening in the computer. So it helps me more to broaden my knowledge about everything.

pirlo89,

Your welcome and thats why we are here. 2nd everything you expect parts that I took out of you quote to my response here.

I've my parents using Ubuntu. The logic was that they just use their machines for the internet and the internet alone, and are the typical types that don't want the hassle of Anti Virus apps etc.
All they really needed were icons for Firefox, and a few other apps on the desktop to switch over to it totally.

My sister also uses Ubuntu, mainly because her laptop got a virus under Vista that prevented it from booting about a month or so before her exams. When I flew over to visit her I didn't have a Vista Setup disk to repair the installation for her, so I temporarily gave her Ubuntu and told her that'd get her online for the meantime and she'd be able to view notes etc. and that I'd route out a Vista setup disk in the meantime and repair it for her the next time.
When I found the setup disk and offered to repair it for her, she said she didn't want it any more and that she was happy with Ubuntu. Sort of strange how that worked out.

A good few of my friends use Linux distors on my recommendation, (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Slackware) but the vast majority of them are Engineers and are thus technically competent when it comes to computing so it's not a "conversion" per se on my part.

zoot,

2nd everything that you said. Wish that my parents, twin, friends would understand were I'm coming from on this. Instead keep doing what they have done in the past and etc.

ihermit,

Huh and please more explanation as to what you mean here.

Waiting until my copy of Ubuntu disc comes in the mail. Which should be any day since my request was approve on mon (12/7) and was sent to the shipping company that day as I presumed.

MooPi
December 11th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I have five friends and relatives I can count as converts. A friend (Larry) from high school introduced me to Linux. I vaguely remember him saying Linux would play a big part in computings future. Larry is now a mover and shaker in the Linux community. I'm proud to sign all my email "Your friend and Linux pusher"

chriskin
December 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Nope, I've explained the pros and cons of linux compared to windows to people but I've let them choose

same here. two turned, one didn't

jollysnowman
December 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I convinced my girlfriend after she saw xfce's mouse lol.

SuperSonic4
December 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
ihermit,

Huh and please more explanation as to what you mean here.

Waiting until my copy of Ubuntu disc comes in the mail. Which should be any day since my request was approve on mon (12/7) and was sent to the shipping company that day as I presumed.

Religion forces their opinions down people's throats whether they want it or not (among other evils) and it is seen as a duty in some sects/religions* to convert everyone else to their way of thinking regardless of the will of the person they're after.

(*delete as appropriate)

@OP: Well done for picking Kubuntu :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I could convert my dad if I could get his online trading software to work on Linux. His pc runs like crap on XP. He hates it.

BinaryFeast
December 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I sort of sneaked it onto the computer of my parents and that of my brother. I don't know if they are converts though.

Flying caveman
December 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
@ ihermit

Fair enough.

Yet, if you go to church asking for guidance you can expect to get preached at.

Its not Ubuntu users are going door to door unsolicited. If someone comes to me with a computer problem, I'll tell them what their problem is.

fromthehill
December 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
my family is really destructive with everything that has anything to do with computers.

with windows I can be confident the computer will keep going no matter what they do on it. it will run slow, but it will still run

if they do something stupid on linux(like rm ~rf) the system will become unbootable.

I would be the only one who can fix it
and they can't install the super-duper application that install 20-zillion emoticons for msn:D

I don't have time for that and I don't want to do that.