PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] App switching in Gnome Shell

mazz0
December 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm a big fan of using one workspace for each task I'm working on, with three or four windows per workspace, so I love Compiz' Cube (or hexagonal prism, in my case) and in theory Shell's emphasis on workspaces should be right up my street.

Thing is, if you have one window maximized (or even just covering another window) you've no quick mouse-driven way of switching to another window on the same workspace. The best you have, it seems, is mousing to the top left to bring up the workplace-switcher/main-menu. I find switching windows considerably quicker when they're all listed in my panel, like in the old Gnome.

Is there a way of replicating this in Gnome Shell, rather than just having the name of the current window showing up in the panel (completely pointlessly, since it's shown at the top of the window anyway)? Or is there some advice someone can give me to change my working practices to take advantage of the new system so that I won't miss this feature?

VeeDubb
December 11th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I believe the simplest way to accomplish this right now would be with some sort of dock.

Personally, I prefer cairo-dock because it's auto-hide feature actually auto-hides. HOwever, the latest 0.4 testing release of AWN is very excellent as well, and probably more popular.