PDA

View Full Version : A year with Linux

Messyhair42
December 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
It was this time last year that I was able to build my own desktop, and i was committed to going open source with as many programs as possible. I started with Intrepid Ibex (8.10), and after a shallow learning curve upgraded to Jaunty when it was released. I have had no problems I couldn't fix with Linux, perfect hardware compatibility, full desktop customization, and gained the knowledge that you need not pay for an OS in order to have functionality. I've turned my parents onto Ubuntu as well. I've also been using OpenSuse, Fedora, and Knoppix.
I realized just how far I can go with Linux when I installed Jaunty for the second time (a failed HD left me high and dry) and I left my laundry list behind and started exploring the programs and repos. I'm by no means good with Linux yet, I'm comfortable with only a handful of terminal commands, even moving directories is something I cant do well yet.
One year passed, many more to go, I'd like to learn to code for programs or help support a distro someday. as for now the community and support from users is the best part of being open source.

julianb
December 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Cool! I started using Linux about a year ago too.

I have used several different distributions, but I have not used OpenSuse, Fedora, or Knoppix. I would love to see them in action.

Me, I've used TinyCoreLinux, Debian, and Puppylinux. Spent lots of time on the command line, but still have tons to learn.

juancarlospaco
December 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Congratulations...
:)

Messyhair42
December 13th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks all, and in the idea of moving forward what would be the best place to start learning. I know I want to learn C/++, also programmers i used to work with recommended PERL for some specific tasks. I'd also like to know how to write scripts.

abeisgreat
December 13th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks all, and in the idea of moving forward what would be the best place to start learning. I know I want to learn C/++, also programmers i used to work with recommended PERL for some specific tasks. I'd also like to know how to write scripts.

I use Python for scripting, coding desktop apps, and writing websites. It works fantastic with the infrastructure the Linux community has setup.