PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No 9.10 in GRUB Menu

ptrinder64
December 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Hi,

I've just upgraded to Karmic Koala 9.10 from Jaunty and am really liking it, however I have just noticed that in GRUB there is no entry for 9.10. The most recent entry I have is:

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=UUID=a983b81e-481a-4480-bb61-a2a36fefd9f2 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
quiet

This seems a bit odd and made me think that maybe I'm not actually using the complete 9.10 - any ideas whether this is true?

I'm guessing that in my over-zealousness during the upgrade I clicked to keep the local version of menu.lst rather than replace it. Is there anything I can do now?

Thanks for any help offered!

darkod
December 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi,

I've just upgraded to Karmic Koala 9.10 from Jaunty and am really liking it, however I have just noticed that in GRUB there is no entry for 9.10. The most recent entry I have is:

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=UUID=a983b81e-481a-4480-bb61-a2a36fefd9f2 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
quietThis seems a bit odd and made me think that maybe I'm not actually using the complete 9.10 - any ideas whether this is true?

I'm guessing that in my over-zealousness during the upgrade I clicked to keep the local version of menu.lst rather than replace it. Is there anything I can do now?

Thanks for any help offered!

Make manual entry in menu.lst? Double check if the new files are in /boot folder and their exact syntax, and just make another entry comparing your 2.6.28 entry and making adjustments.

oldfred
December 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Are you still able to boot or are you running from the liveCD? The problem was that you did not update menu.lst so it does not have the new entries. Since you upgraded you have old grub so do not follow any directions for grub2. You can upgrade to grub2 later if you want, a few are having issue with grub2 so if grub legacy is working I would stay with it for now. Grub2 works fine for me.

You should be able to just run this if you can boot.

sudo update-grub

Otherwise you will have to chroot into your install to update it and run the sudo update-grub command.
The chroot commands are the same as this except you should not have to reinstall grub, just run the update.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

ptrinder64
December 10th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Perfect! Thanks a million - I could tell as soon as I logged in to the new Karmic entry created that it had worked because the sound kicked in (unlike previously).

Despite the folder being title 'boot' I never really thought there was anything else in it apart from GRUB (not that I'd investigated it too much)... D'oh!

ptrinder64
December 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks too OldFred - I was fine logging in to Jaunty so no need for the LiveCD. I was planning on waiting for 10.04 before doing a clean install for Ext4 and GRUB2.

I'll have to write down the GRUB update command as I've not come across that before...